Consumer Refund Service

pinkdragon
pinkdragon Posts: 42 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 3 August 2017 at 4:16PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
MoneySavingExpert Insert:

This discussion's a bit old now. For the latest research check our guides: Reclaim PPI for free and Reclaim Credit Card PPI Free

Back to the original post...

Had a letter from these people today offering to help me track any unpaid PPI claims. I'm not sure if they are legitimate or not. Could somebody please advise me

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The complaint process is simple and free. Why use a company to basically put a stamp on the complaint you send?
    These "legitimate" companies will charge you a massive % of any redress you might win for doing nothing you cannot easily do yourself.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    track any unpaid PPI claims.

There is no such thing. There is no pot waiting or no list of unpaid claims. That is not how it works.

If you feel you have reason to complain about a bank or provider then you contact that bank/provider using their free of charge complaints process giving your reasons for complaint. They will consider your complaint and decide an outcome.

All a CMC does is send their letter to the same free of charge complaints process at the bank/provider but charge you for doing it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    All a CMC does is send their letter to the same free of charge complaints process at the bank/provider but charge you for doing it.
    Not quite - data published by the Financial Ombudsman Service a few months ago suggests they are generally less successful than DIY complainants.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You can do it yourself via your banks complaints procedure as others have said. No need to go via a 3rd party
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • I have had a letter out of the blue from this company and whilst I may be able to submit a claim myself, I feel that I may fall down for two reasons.
    First, to the best of my knowledge I never had any PPI on my cards or mortgage and secondly I haven't got a clue as to most of my past credit card account numbers, also my mortgage which was with Alliance and Leicester I may be able to find the A/C number.
    The reason I have not claimed before was because of the above reasons, I just feel that the Banks could dismiss my claim more easily if I submitted it myself.
    Surely the Banks/Credit Card Co's won't just take your name and address and then say they will look into what accounts I had with them, I can remember one C/C was with Egg but do not have a clue about dates and a/c numbers. I have lived at my present address for 26 years if that helps.
    Any tips welcome, TIA
  • dunstonh
    First, to the best of my knowledge I never had any PPI on my cards or mortgage

Pretty easy to tell
    1 - on credit cards, it appears as a transaction on the statement. You normally only pay if you borrow beyond the interest free period.
    2 - on mortgage PPI, it is normally a standalone monthly direct debit from your bank account.
    Neither can really be missed or hidden.
    The reason I have not claimed before was because of the above reasons, I just feel that the Banks could dismiss my claim more easily if I submitted it myself.

Actually, you are wrong. Complaints made via CMCs have a lower success rate than personal complaints. CMCs send the complaint to the same address you would use. It is handled via the same process you would use by the same people. CMCs have a tendency to lie and those lies can reduce credibility and where a complaint outcome is to be settled by a balance of probability decision (which is often), that tends to go with the most credible side. The side caught telling lies tends to lose credibility.
    Surely the Banks/Credit Card Co's won't just take your name and address and then say they will look into what accounts I had with them
    Yes they will.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for that update dunstonh, I may not bother though it seems a lot of trouble, I'm sure that originally I would not knowlingly have gone for the PPI.
  • dunstonh
    If you read your statements then you cannot have missed it. So, if thats you and you dont recall seeing it, then chances are you didnt pay it. If you dont read your statements then you could be paying all sorts of things you dont know about. So, if thats you, then it may be worth looking at.
  • Jayceee
    Jayceee Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2018 at 4:54PM
    Just received a letter from Consumer Refund Service today so decided to revive this thread.

The letter was in an official-looking HMRC/DWP-style brown envelope with a line above the address window which stated: "FCA DEADLINE INFORMATION ENCLOSED." It was addressed to "The Occupier."

When I opened the letter it was obvious that it's PPI junk mail. There isn't any mention anywhere of an FCA deadline.

In the recycling it went!

There are some that will think it's an official letter and that's not acceptable.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Jayceee wrote: »
    Just received a letter from Consumer Refund Service today so decided to revive this thread.
    Thread is from 2016.
    Wasn't your duplicate thread "revival" on the same topic enough?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74301499#post74301499
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport