Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    Lonestar11 wrote: »
    I sent off a letter to VOA 3 weeks ago asking for a reassessment of my CT band and provided evidence as to why I thought it was wrong. I included a phone number and email address but have not had an acknowledgement of my letter. I wondered if that was normal and if I'll hear from them in due course once they've had a chance to look into my request. Does anyone know if they usually acknowledge receipt or just contact you when they've investigated? And do they usually write, phone or email? Thanks.

They are supposed to acknowledge within 7 days, normally a stock letter stating they will look into the matter & reply within 2 months. 3 residents on our estate wrote in with evidence. 1 resident had an acknowledgment, the other 2 had nothing! 4 months on a decision was never received after the acknowledgment.
    They normally write to residents if the band is reduced but it's not always the case. Good Luck
  • Thank you for your response. I'll give them a couple of weeks then drop them an email just to check they got the letter.
  • TeeH
    TeeH Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2018 at 1:59PM
    I contacted the VOA and my claim was rejected as the other properties I cited were not 'identical'. We live in a village and our semi was built in the 70's, so I could only compare it with other 3 bed+garage semis which are in D while we are in E. How can I make a comparison when most of the houses are different?
  • JennyG70
    JennyG70 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 4:39PM
    I have been trying to get my band corrected for at least the last 3 years, and have approached Mole Valley on numerous occasions, but every move is a dead end, that at times seems like a deliberate block. Phone calls after a long wait can be a transfer to another department and then just go into a hang up, I did speak to one lady who requested me to go down my road and select bungalows similar to mine, I found 5 plus 2 houses, that were all in a lower band, but was then told I could not use them because the were Data protected!
    I had also taken it to the VOA department that looked into it, and got back a gobble Gook letter that Martin had mention about, that basically we had not appealed when we moved into our bungalow in 1982, when in fact they never existed. So I did not meet the circumstances to oppose it.
    Then after contacting them, I was told by email my appeal was not at the correct stage to appeal to the VOA, when I did get their email, I had 3 months to reply, but my husband was dying, and actually one month was spent up and down to the hospital, and then he died, so other things apart from the grief took over including the funeral arrangements ct, so I missed the return date. My bungalows value in 1991, that we bought in 1982, paying £67000, was valued at, £117,829 and then again later to £158.977 both by Nation Wide, but it does go up a lot each time you reassess it.
    What I can say, is that in my road, that almost all were bungalows when we move in, are now houses, and the price range is between 1.Million to 1.5 Million, and all are G band, including my bungalow!!!8230;
    I also tried to get advice from Fetcham residence association, but they were up able to help.
    So anybody with ideas what to do now?
    Thank you for any comments.
  • JennyG70
    JennyG70 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was also told this, and its just ridiculous, as not one Bungalow down this road is the same. Not one...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JennyG70 wrote: »
    My bungalows value in 1991, that we bought in 1982, paying £67000, was valued at, £117,829 and then again later to £158.977 both by Nation Wide, but it does go up a lot each time you reassess it.
    What I can say, is that in my road, that almost all were bungalows when we move in, are now houses, and the price range is between 1.Million to 1.5 Million, and all are G band, including my bungalows.

Nationwide House Price Index is inaccurate, usually undervaluing and cannot be relied upon. If it suggests your bungalow was valued at £158,977 in 1991, then just a 1% inaccuracy would put your bungalow over £160,000. Little point in looking at 2018 values and improvements carried out by current owners after 1 April 1993 cannot be reflected in CT bands.

Unless you can find a nearby bungalow of a similar age, size and style in a lower band, there's not a lot you can do. There is always the risk in doing this that the VOA will decide that bungalow is under assessed and increase its band!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ddks
    If a property has been extended by 10m2. The property has been sold twice since the extension was completed.
    In what circumstances would the band be restricted? I have checked the NNDR list - no entries for the address for 2010 or 2015 list.
    No planning restrictions, as property extended.
    No agricultural tie, as on a housing estate.
    Property might have been extended for a disabled person - but would this restrict the reviewed banding??
    Thanks
  • lincroft1710
    ddks wrote: »
    If a property has been extended by 10m2. The property has been sold twice since the extension was completed.
    In what circumstances would the band be restricted?

What do you mean by restricted?

It is quite feasible that the extension would not have added enough value to warrant a band increase
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ddks
    What do you mean by restricted?

It is quite feasible that the extension would not have added enough value to warrant a band increase

The banding was restricted after its sale (for reasons which cannot be divulged by the VO).

Hence the question, in what circumstances would a band be restricted? It seems bizarre and an excuse!

The property was 148m2 & was extended in 2008 to 158m2, sold in 2010, band reviewed after the sale in 2010, remained in a Band E. The property has been sold twice since then.

Have been informed that factors such as how many empty & completed units, the state of a development are factors to be considered.

I'm pretty sure that the law & VO manual state the above factors are not relevant?!
  • lincroft1710
    I've never come the word "restricted" being used in connection with a CT band. My point that the extension would not have added enough value to warrant a band increase seems quite probable in this case. Or possibly very borderline so not considered to be worth the effort of increasing if a subsequent appeal would result in the band being reduced back to Band E.

However regard may be had to restrictive covenants and planning restrictions, so whether this is what the VOA were referring to.

Cannot remember what the approach should be regarding state of development etc, I can't remember it ever being used in the offices i worked in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback