water meter not working - back bill concerns!

Hi all,

I've noticed recently that my water meter is not turning and appears to have seized. The meter is located on the pavement outside my house.

I've now gone through my old bills from the last year or so and having now read them properly, I can see we have only been invoiced a standing charge and on the consumption part it states 0 for usage. We had the meter installed and since then it doesn't seem to have actually worked, but because it was new we just thought the bills were lower as we don't use much water.

I haven't approached Southern Water as I wanted to get some advice first - primarily is whether they can back bill me when their equipment is faulty, is located outside the boundary and the meter has been read by them several times (quarterly I think) without them flagging it or realising. Also, how far can they back bill me? I've read conflicting information of anything from 12 months to 6 years!

The OFWAT website is useless and doesn't give any clear information on back billing and customer vs supplier responsibility for faulty equipment and incorrect billing.

Thanks for your help guys!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

The 12 month back-billing provision does not apply to water. They can go back 6 years as you have been undercharged - look up 'statute of limitations'.

The normal procedure is to measure your consumption over a fixed period of X weeks and use that as a guide to the amount of water used over the period the meter has been fitted.
  • Hi all,

I've noticed recently that my water meter is not turning and appears to have seized. The meter is located on the pavement outside my house.

I've now gone through my old bills from the last year or so and having now read them properly, I can see we have only been invoiced a standing charge and on the consumption part it states 0 for usage. We had the meter installed and since then it doesn't seem to have actually worked, but because it was new we just thought the bills were lower as we don't use much water.

I haven't approached Southern Water as I wanted to get some advice first - primarily is whether they can back bill me when their equipment is faulty, is located outside the boundary and the meter has been read by them several times (quarterly I think) without them flagging it or realising. Also, how far can they back bill me? I've read conflicting information of anything from 12 months to 6 years!

The OFWAT website is useless and doesn't give any clear information on back billing and customer vs supplier responsibility for faulty equipment and incorrect billing.

Thanks for your help guys!

The supplier is fully responsible for the maintenance, repair, replacement, etc. of their meter.

Only if they then conclude it was damaged due to your recklessness, etc can they ask you to pay.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The supplier is fully responsible for the maintenance, repair, replacement, etc. of their meter.

Only if they then conclude it was damaged due to your recklessness, etc can they ask you to pay.

Are you sure of that advice?

Can you provide a link to that regulation(about not paying)please.

As stated above:
    The normal procedure is to measure your consumption over a fixed period of X weeks and use that as a guide to the amount of water used over the period the meter has been fitted.
  • As Cardew has said, I would be keen to know how that advice is substantiated? I am extremely reluctant to contact Southern Water until I have some clear facts as we are tight for money and the worry of a huge water bill is hanging over.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As Cardew has said. I know it will be difficult, but economise on your water usage during the x weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure