Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    starM wrote: »
    It just took abit of time to verify details but all done captured my passport and that's been verified aswel. They have offered an overdraft of up to 5k which I can apply for.

Out of curiosity I joined yesterday after receiving my code.

The sign up process was painless.

I was a little surprised to be immediately offered an overdraft. Even more so because they didn't ask for any details about my income and outgoings.

I'm also surprised I can pay in to my account using a debit card.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    This bank will be very popular because of the app.
    To me it is a joke. I want a proper bank and bank account not an app thanks.
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Signed up last night. The address verification wasn't instant but all in all the whole process took about 4 minutes. I already use Monzo for day to day spending as the app tracks transactions in real-time and there are zero overseas fees and MasterCard fx rate, so interested to see if Starling are any better or worse.

In reply to Ben above, just how is Starling any less a 'proper' bank than, say, first direct?
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    App banking is fine. Just thinking how they gonna make money from this. No charge for bank account , no overseas transaction fee, no charge for unpaid payment , reasonable overdraft charges.

Do they provide paper statements if needed in case needed for mortgage application etc.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    This bank will be very popular because of the app.

Not necessarily: Starling could be attractive to some people because it's new and has the "Fintech" label which some people might regard as "Cutting Edge". But really such an online app-based bank is already available in "B" from CYBG.

The area where Starling Bank stands out in the Fintech app-banking sector is that it's already supported by FSCS.
  • Sign up process was really straightforward and took a matter of minutes. Uploads of photo of your driving license/passport and a short video clip of you speaking for ID verification. The app handles all of this.

Smart looking card arrived within 2 days, and overdraft granted instantly.

My wife is now waiting for a signup code.

jm
  • Doctor_Duke
    Doctor_Duke Posts: 303 Forumite
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    This bank will be very popular because of the app.i

How is it a joke? It is a full bank as has a full banking licence with full protection. Just because it has decided to use latest technology doesn't make it a joke!
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sign up process was really straightforward and took a matter of minutes. Uploads of photo of your driving license/passport and a short video clip of you speaking for ID verification. The app handles all of this.

Smart looking card arrived within 2 days, and overdraft granted instantly.

My wife is now waiting for a signup code.

jm

Well, that lets me out: I absolutely hate it when these financial services ask for such things. What's wrong with electronic verification? What about security of my personally identifiable information such as passport and driving license? Who has access to it? How secure is the uploading? How easy will it be to hack it? I don't see answers to those important questions anywhere. I had exactly the same problem with Revolut: I now don't have Revolut and I won't be getting Starling.

I signed up in the early days of Starling, I haven't received my code and if I do receive it I won't be using it!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Those who are now registering for a Starling account, please let us know how long it takes to receive the sign-up code.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jamie_02
    jamie_02 Posts: 89 Forumite
    It took 10 days, downloaded the app on 9th, confirmed my place on the waiting list (from months ago), received my code on 19th.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure