At what speed do you get a speeding ticket on the M25?

Options
Alright people, there must be a lot of you who have drove on the M25, or even drive on it regularly. You might have noticed a lot of speed cameras almost every half-mile in certain regions and the new camera part of this smart motorway.

Now here's the thing: I drive quite often on the M25 and I do go over 79 mph a lot, but I have never seen a speed camera flashing, nor have I gotten a speeding ticket so far. Three of my friends also drive regularly on the M25 and have never been caught speeding neither; but none of us goes over 95 mph.

I have seen, and you have probably also seen a lot of people driving way over 95 mph on the M25, and I don't think that all those people would be doing it if they all knew that they would certainly get caught.

So what's the deal here about those speed cameras and when will you actually get a ticket?

If anyone knows anything please share, event if it's not for the M25. I'm mainly talking about when the variable speed limit is not enforced though I regularly see people speeding when it is.

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Options
    If you're lucky, you don't. If you're unlucky, it could be 71mph.

All depends whether you get caught and by which means.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Some of the cameras on the M25 don't flash. Enforcement usually starts at 10%+2mph.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Enforcement is much stricter when the variable limits are in effect. When they're not, then you may well be good up to high two-digit speeds. Above that, as Dave Allen used to sign off, may your God go with you - because that's up into magistrate territory, not FPN.
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was once told that the cameras are only active when there's a reduced speed limit in place. This could be utter tosh, but I've been coming the other way and seen them going off like Blackpool illuminations when its been 40/50/60, never really seen it when NSL applies.

Why it'd be turned off at 70 I have no idea.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    The motorway variable speed limits were always about easing traffic congestion rather than speed enforcement. It's generally up to the Highways Agency whether to pass on data to the Police for enforcement. Having said that I would say you've been lucky so far and eventually lucks does run out, so don't come back on here whinging when you eventually do get a ticket.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    tho wrote: »
    I was once told that the cameras are only active when there's a reduced speed limit in place. This could be utter tosh, but I've been coming the other way and seen them going off like Blackpool illuminations when its been 40/50/60, never really seen it when NSL applies.

Why it'd be turned off at 70 I have no idea.

It is. It may have been true once, but not noew.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Keep it up but someday don't be surprised if you end up with a handful of penalty notices thru your letterbox.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to post at about 25 miles per hour , I am astonished you can actually reach speeds of over that on the m25
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    I was going to post at about 25 miles per hour , I am astonished you can actually reach speeds of over that on the m25

Only on a downhill stretch I believe. 😄😄
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    Options
    There are bits of the M 25 where I'd be amazed at being able to do 25 mph even on a Sunday. I do remember once finding a bit that was so clear that I could safely do 80. OP must have been the guy whizzing past ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure