Cheap-ish (but comfortable) over-ear headphones - For wearing 7hours a day at work

Starlet
Starlet Posts: 130 Forumite
Hello

Can anyone recommend good-quality, but cheap (i.e. ~£30[?] max.), over-ear headphones that are comfortable to wear for 7 hours a day? I will be using these at work - I sit at a desk in an open-plan office.

Background info:
I already do wear headphones but because they are "in-ear" headphones, they are small and therefore not visible to my colleagues so it is not obvious that I am listening to music while Im working. I want people to know that I am wearing headphones. This is an issue because my work colleagues are having work-related conversations and they assume that I am listening.

Here's what Im looking for:
  • Over-ear headphone type
  • Re. the "cushions": As I plan to wear these for ~7 hours a day, would my ears
    sweat if the material is not leather?
  • Re. the "cushions": What's better? Cushions that are smaller (circular) or larger (oval-shaped)? Will my ears get squashed if the cushions are smaller? I really dont know.
  • I want to to buy from a common High Street shop (e.g. Argos, PCWorld); I dont want to buy it from an obscure online shop.

Please help :(

Thank you!
:EasterBun

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you need/would like to hear whats going on around you whilst still listening to whatever you are, these are very good.

https://aftershokz.co.uk/

You can have wired or wireless.

We use them for running and they are very comfortable and work brilliantly, allowing us to have a distraction from the pain and suffering we are inflicting on ourselves ;) whilst still keeping us safe and aware of our surroundings.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Surely it would just be easier to tell your colleagues when you are putting your earphones in?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Does the wearing of headphones fit with a safe system of work. How would you be aware of audible warning alarms, are management relaxed about this idea?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Wouldn't this be better in the "I want to do it/ buy it" board?

Have to agree with the but about h&s though - also I would find it extremely weird if I was in an open plan office & a colleague did this for no apparent reason.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I use Sennheiser HD201 headphones. They're cheap, robust, and comfortable enough to wear all day long.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Wouldn't this be better in the "I want to do it/ buy it" board?

Have to agree with the but about h&s though - also I would find it extremely weird if I was in an open plan office & a colleague did this for no apparent reason.

Perhaps they have difficulty with sensory overload?

Perhaps the reason is none of your business?
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Wouldn't this be better in the "I want to do it/ buy it" board?

Most fire alarms are going to be loud enough for you to hear even with headphones on, OP has control over volume, H&S is not an issue, we can also assume he is not blind and not able to see everyone else vacating the building.

From my experience, the reason for me using earphones was to listen to music, cant be that difficult to figure out. If you find that weird then stuff that goes on in many workplaces would leave you with seriously high blood pressure.

OP get the sennheiser mentioned above, they are good and soft (I have them) but i always used normal earphones at work
  • IAmWales wrote: »
    Perhaps they have difficulty with sensory overload?

Perhaps the reason is none of your business?

Wow that's me told!
    Most fire alarms are going to be loud enough for you to hear even with headphones on, OP has control over volume, H&S is not an issue, we can also assume he is not blind and not able to see everyone else vacating the building.

From my experience, the reason for me using earphones was to listen to music, cant be that difficult to figure out. If you find that weird then stuff that goes on in many workplaces would leave you with seriously high blood pressure.

OP get the sennheiser mentioned above, they are good and soft (I have them) but i always used normal earphones at work

I don't find listening to music weird - though my preference of listening to radio 4 might be!

I know one girl was asked not to use earphones one place I worked and the guys in the workshop were expressly told they couldn't.

I do use earphones occasionally in the office I'm in now and tbh find it a pain as I never know when people are talking to me (rather than around me) and when the phone rings
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Wow that's me told!

I don't find listening to music weird - though my preference of listening to radio 4 might be!

I know one girl was asked not to use earphones one place I worked and the guys in the workshop were expressly told they couldn't.

I do use earphones occasionally in the office I'm in now and tbh find it a pain as I never know when people are talking to me (rather than around me) and when the phone rings

some places allow it, some dont, just depends on the business. at my current place, its very cooperate, headphones are not allowed though you can wear them if you stay in the office during break.

music put me in my zone and allowed me to work better, time also flew and i didnt have to listen to too much nonsense.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have to state that I am very surprised that wearing ear/headphones in an office environment is permitted.

Certainly in the workplaces I have worked, this would certainly not be allowed.

Although many will disagree, I think it looks unprofessional and safety issues aside, is hardly conducive for effective communication between colleagues.

I suppose if it works for the OP's business and does not cause problems, then fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure