Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• roryog
    roryog Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks - having spoken to BT I'm limited somewhat, as my area isn't yet cabled up for Fibre (BT/Sky) or for Virgin Media full stop. So my only alternative from Sky for everything is to move the broadband & phone line to BT, albeit cheaper than my breakdown costs with Sky.

Has anyone else been in this limited scenario? I won't go telling Sky this but I imagine they might already know...
  • I left Sky last month when I moved into an area where I can't have a satellite dish.

I've just received an email from Sky offering:

Come back to unmissable shows at an unbelievable price with 60% off any Sky TV Bundle.
    Hurry, offer ends 18 May 2017
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    shaggy wrote: »
    True. I'll call them when I get the oportunity and see if the retentions dept can do something about this package they gave me. Im happy with the cost, just not happy about the sneaky way theyve managed to separate Sports HD with everything-else-HD.

My package even includes £50 credit on top :rotfl: as I rejected the 75% offer at first !! (see my posts earlier in this thread!)

As you have been retained, retentions are no longer interested, so won't offer anything extra, free.

However, I took cinema and Boxed Sets (with HD) and can view any film or programme transmitted in HD (don't actually need it as we don't have a large enough screen for it to matter), but not Sport as I don't have that package.
  • teddysmum
    edited 5 May 2017 at 4:05PM
    roryog wrote: »
    Thanks - having spoken to BT I'm limited somewhat, as my area isn't yet cabled up for Fibre (BT/Sky) or for Virgin Media full stop. So my only alternative from Sky for everything is to move the broadband & phone line to BT, albeit cheaper than my breakdown costs with Sky.

Has anyone else been in this limited scenario? I won't go telling Sky this but I imagine they might already know...

You don't have to go specifically to BT. You can take ADSL from another provider (eg Talktalk, PlusNet, EE ) that covers your area and the only one you can't access is Virgin.

We don't have fibre (city area) but will have in the next couple of months (or so they have been saying for a number of years), though the exchange is enabled.

We have the Virgin cabling from the Cable and Wireless days (but Sky cut the cable to use their more attractive internal box, at my request),but don't need the very fast broadband or their high prices.

After a poor offer from Sky (It was poor then ie just free ADSL, following a few years of free ADSL and half price line), I moved to a cheaper deal with PlusNet (who aren't cheaper, now) but the service ( customer and actual product) are not as good as Sky's.

Providers do know what other services you can get in your area and do know what the others have on offer. My daughter-in-law told me this when she, briefly, worked for BT.
  • DannyJrm
    DannyJrm Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been paying £70.99 for Variety Bundle, Sky Fibre unlimited and Line Rental. I only thought yesterday that we were paying a lot and found this forum! I contacted them today via online chat and they best the gentleman could offer was around 40% discount for TV bundle and £5 off Sky Fibre monthly - currently at £20 a month. I told him no and he went ahead with cancellation of TV package as I asked. I left it about 1 hour and went back to online chat and informed them that I currently have an offer on My Sky for 50% off for 12 months and wondering if they could beat that. They lied and said that was the best offer to which I said a friend had been offered 60% with credit, they told me they are unable to do this offer anymore to which I said Goodbye.
    They then asked me to wait while they asked their 'supervisor' and came back with an offer of 60% discount to TV package and 50% off Sky Fibre which saves me £30 a month, no credit but i'm not too fussed! I'm tied into this for 12 months which we don't mind as were planning to stay with Sky regardless.
    Quite happy with the deal!
  • teddysmum
    DannyJrm wrote: »
    I left it about 1 hour and went back to online chat and informed them that I currently have an offer on My Sky for 50% off for 12 months and wondering if they could beat that. They lied and said that was the best offer to which I said a friend had been offered 60% with credit, they told me they are unable to do this offer anymore to which I said Goodbye.
    They then asked me to wait while they asked their 'supervisor' and came back with an offer of 60% discount to TV package and 50% off Sky Fibre which saves me £30 a month, no credit but i'm not too fussed! I'm tied into this for 12 months which we don't mind as were planning to stay with Sky regardless.
    Quite happy with the deal!

They didn't lie, as the better offers come after having the tv service switched off, but did you lie about the 50% offer on your account ?
  • Cancelled my Sky a few days ago, on the phone he offered me 50% off for £48 a month, yet I am paying £42 a month already!!!!.. Told him no thanks, said ok bye.
    Went on my sky page and right away got a 50% off for 12 months. Will wait till June and see what happens..
  • donblako
    donblako Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Help needed. I've just given notice on max TV costing 88 from memory. Already being offered 50% off.

Ideal scenario is I can upgrade to Sky Q 2TB and extra box with unlimited fibre (this is on notice with talktalk) and full Tv? What's the best way to go about it!

Appreciate the input
  • Krinkle
    Krinkle Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cancelled Sky around a week ago and now have 60% off offer showing on MySky page. I'm kinda tempted but this discount doesn't include multiroom (...why the hell not?) and, whilst considering to go for the Sports package (...is that still £28? ...which would make it £11.20) Shaggy goes and tells us that you have to pay EXTRA for the HD...what a confusing bloody ripoff!!!

...I may have to go on the chat to see if a cash credit can absorb that extra fee but they very rarely give discount on multiroom! :(
  • lynanne
    lynanne Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi all contract was up so decided to shop around got a good like for like deal £20 cheaper than what I was paying sky. So contacted them to cancel offered a deal for £10 less than we are currently paying said no so brought it down to almost our best deal then said would give us a credit on account for difference. Ok we said when billing came through this bill was only that price for 6 months then it went up by £10. Not having that we thought so phoned to cancel again.
    they then offered us 40% off so I asked what that would come out at per month It was more than the offer we had from them originally. So no I said wont be staying you dont seem to know what you are doing. Not heard a word since.:mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback