Hogging right lane

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Come on now, where where where did I state that tailgating was justified in any situation?

Hint: I didn't.

You didn't and I didn't say that you did, but there have been more than enough "what do you expect" type comments on here. That's a wrong-thinking excuse for the tailgaters.
  • Richard53 wrote: »
    Yes, I was supporting what you said. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

No, it's OK - I got that - likewise my post wasn't meant to suggest you weren't!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:31AM
    I simply moved across at a time that I believed to be most safe and appropriate based on traffic conditions and proximity to my turn (which was a cut out for those who were wondering).
    The tone of this statement and the fact that you have not given an estimate for the time or distance (when asked more than once) may be making you seem arrogant to some readers - hence the "policing" comments. The fact that you admit to being a relatively inexperienced driver may be making some people assume that you moved early.

That doesn't excuse the tailgater - but it reminds people of other inconsiderate driving that they have seen in the past.

Here's a different example I saw yesterday afternoon...

South bound on the A12 coming from Suffolk towards Colchester. Two-lane NSL dual carriageway and I'm doing 70 in Lane 1 on cruise control. Lane 2 has people overtaking me at 80+. At a junction, the signs tell me that the joining slip road will become an additional Lane 1 so I can continue in the new Lane 2. A beige Seat Mii comes down the slip road at 56-ish and immediately swings in front of me and doesn't accelerate. I flick the cruise control off, find myself still over-running them and end up slipping into Lane 1 (which is completely empty) to go around. (Yes - I c(sh)ould have matched speeds and waited for a gap in Lane 3.) At the next junction, that Lane 1 becomes an exit slip so I move back to Lane 2 to continue on the A12. Checking the mirrors before that lane change - I can see the beige Seat still poddling along behind.

Was that a case of moving over too early? I'm not familiar with the road, so I didn't know how far to the next junction - but there was time for me to be in an empty Lane 1, accelerate back from 60 to 70 and be there for at least 2 minutes - so maybe 2.5 miles? Or just a blinkered member of the Middle Lane Owners Club?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,683
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    By all means be a know-it-all driver. Lack of experience will catch you out. Hopefully it won't affect anyone else.

For the umpteenth time, how far (roughly) form the junction did you pull into the right lane?

They will be very reluctant to answer that as because he/she was travelling at the legal limit for that road they have decided that no-one is allowed to pass him - either to the left or the right.

It's an attempt (unconsciously perhaps) to police the roads by preventing speeding - but they refuse to see that.

I don't approve of tail-gating or multi-flashing, but that is what he/she is going to get loads more of with the attitude that they continue to display.

It took a while to drag it out that they didn't signal right in good time.

If I was to come upon such a driver I would certainly flash lights too, to make them aware of my presence. I would not be tailgating them, but without a signal showing an intention to turn right I would be very reluctant to pass on the left.

This person needs more experience - it's as simple as that - but they think th at they already have sufficient to conclude that they were justified in doing what they did.

In my opinion they could have behaved differently - not caused frustration - and therefore have been much safer.

In one post he/she is so confident and all-knowing that they said that even if they had been signalling the right turn they suspected that the following driver would have flashed and tailgated them anyway.

I don't accept that - I feel that any impatient driver would simply have gone past on the left if they saw a vehicle in front indicating right.
  • bartelbe
    bartelbe Posts: 553
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This external debate, not likely to get much sense. It is irritating when someone sits in the right lane doing 40mph in a NSL. However even that doesn't justify dangerous tailgating.

The problem is there is a large minority of drivers who think the road belongs to them and them alone. Who think all other drivers should get out of their way. Who believe they are justified in dangerously tailgating another car and potentially causing a fatal pile up on a dual carriageway.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    They will be very reluctant to answer that as because he/she was travelling at the legal limit for that road they have decided that no-one is allowed to pass him - either to the left or the right.

It's an attempt (unconsciously perhaps) to police the roads by preventing speeding - but they refuse to see that.

I don't approve of tail-gating or multi-flashing, but that is what he/she is going to get loads more of with the attitude that they continue to display.

It took a while to drag it out that they didn't signal right in good time.

If I was to come upon such a driver I would certainly flash lights too, to make them aware of my presence. I would not be tailgating them, but without a signal showing an intention to turn right I would be very reluctant to pass on the left.

This person needs more experience - it's as simple as that - but they think th at they already have sufficient to conclude that they were justified in doing what they did.

In my opinion they could have behaved differently - not caused frustration - and therefore have been much safer.

In one post he/she is so confident and all-knowing that they said that even if they had been signalling the right turn they suspected that the following driver would have flashed and tailgated them anyway.

I don't accept that - I feel that any impatient driver would simply have gone past on the left if they saw a vehicle in front indicating right.
    Your honor,

To count one, "Not allowing drivers to pass either to the left or the right." I plead NOT GUILTY

The driver was free to pass me on the left (which he did).

To count two, "Attempting to police the roads by preventing speeding" I plead NOT GUILTY

As I've said about 100 times now, whether he speeds or not is not my business. My issue is the tailgating and flashing of headlights in an attempt to bully me into moving back over to the left.

To count three, "Not signalling right in good time" I plead NOT GUILTY.

I believe I signalled in good time, unfortunately the driver behind had already undertaken me and was probably at his destination by the time it took to put the signal on (and no, not because I was driving slow but rather because he was driving fast :D).

To count four, "Being so confident and all-knowing" I plead (you guessed it!) NOT GUILTY.

If I was so confident and all-knowing I wouldn't have posted on this forum now would have I?

I also object to the line of questioning about the distance to my turning. I could tell you in yards but that doesn't give an indication of traffic conditions at time does it? Would you agree that the "right" time to move across encompasses more than just the distance from the turning?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,683
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck - you'll need it.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    I also object to the line of questioning about the distance to my turning. I could tell you in yards but that doesn't give an indication of traffic conditions at time does it? Would you agree that the "right" time to move across encompasses more than just the distance from the turning?

Weeelllll ... you could answer both the questions you yourself have posited. Ie - how far was it and what were the traffic conditions at the time ? Just a thought ...

Your point about traffic conditions is valid, the harder it is to get into that lane the earlier you might decide to go. But experience will have an effect on this too.

I've been known to pull over into the right hand lane a few hundred metres after exiting the A428 junction approaching Black Cat roundabout SB on the A1 (60mph speed restriction) wanting to go right on the Bedford road if the traffic is particularly heavy. That's technically over a mile early but in that particular location if you don't get over when you can, there's a pretty good chance of either sitting with your indicator on with an annoyed queue of traffic behind you at the roundabout waiting for someone to let you over, or going via Biggleswade out of sheer embarrassment.

But somehow (because of the speed of the guy in the RH land - nobody manages that in the 60 approach at Black Cat in heavy traffic) I don't think you were that heavy a traffic situation ...
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

To count four, "Being so confident and all-knowing" I plead (you guessed it!) NOT GUILTY.

If I was so confident and all-knowing I wouldn't have posted on this forum now would have I?

In your OP you asked "If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is".

A number of people have explained what the issue is, only for you to disagree with them.

That seems more indicative of "confident and all-knowing" than of a willingness to learn and improve.

So GUILTY.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

I believe I signalled in good time, unfortunately the driver behind had already undertaken me and was probably at his destination by the time it took to put the signal on (and no, not because I was driving slow but rather because he was driving fast :D).

Would you agree that the "right" time to move across encompasses more than just the distance from the turning?

The "right time to move" is likely after the car approaching in the right hand lane at 120 has gone past you ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure