Fees for a Bank Account

Revealer
Revealer Posts: 2 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 September 2016 at 8:59PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Dear All
I have a question regarding my Bank Account and apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am aware that people are claiming money back from their banks if they had packaged bank accounts. My question is along the same lines but different. Long story short, I moved to the UK 12 years ago and the only Bank Account I could get was an International Banking Account with Barclays. Initially the account was free but then they started charging £5 to have the account and later £10. I am now in the process of changing my Account but wondered if I could claim some of these fees back because there was no fee when I opened the account initially. I know I should have changed this account ages ago but life happened and I just never got to do it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Read through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/reclaim-packaged-bank-accounts but I wouldn't get your hopes up to be honest.

The only basis on which you could claim is if you were missold the account and it sounds like you weren't, but were simply presented with a change in Ts & Cs which was probably explained to you in writing, along with options as to what to do? You'd need to be wary of the time too, as banks are under no obligation to accept claims more than six years after alleged misselling or three years after the customer was (or should have been) aware of it.
  • Hi looking for some help off anybody...in 2001 i opened up a barckays current account for a 2nd part time job , i noticed after a while around £8 being deducted per month so questioned it at my local branch who said it was a charge as there was an overdraft on the account. I never asked for the overdraft. They said it had other benefits . Etc phone insurance travel insurance breakdown cover ( i already had AA) i tried to cancel it but was told i coudnt because of the overdraft facility. I never asked for this style account or benefits. Didnt sign anything it was just added on without my knowledge. It resulted in me paying for this until 2007 . I recently found out in 2003 it was upgraded to a higher additions account. Again without any consent from myself.
    Back then i believed the bank when they said i had to have it due to the overdraft facility .
    In January 2016 i complained to barclays and it resulted in them saying as i stopped paying over 6 years ago i was out of time but i coukd take it to the FOS. I have and still they say i cant go back due to timescale even tho they dont doubt i was missold. I have until 18th October to give any further information or just accept i cant reclaim fees back.
    Im looking for any help off anyone is this a lost cause or do you think i could still claim ? I never clsimed on any of the benefits never wanted this additions account. Any help will be really appreciated :o
    Not sure if my thread is in correct place , apologies as its my 1st thread
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi looking for some help off anybody...in 2001 i opened up a barckays current account for a 2nd part time job , i noticed after a while around £8 being deducted per month so questioned it at my local branch who said it was a charge as there was an overdraft on the account. I never asked for the overdraft. They said it had other benefits . Etc phone insurance travel insurance breakdown cover ( i already had AA) i tried to cancel it but was told i coudnt because of the overdraft facility. I never asked for this style account or benefits. Didnt sign anything it was just added on without my knowledge. It resulted in me paying for this until 2007 . I recently found out in 2003 it was upgraded to a higher additions account. Again without any consent from myself.
    Back then i believed the bank when they said i had to have it due to the overdraft facility .
    In January 2016 i complained to barclays and it resulted in them saying as i stopped paying over 6 years ago i was out of time but i coukd take it to the FOS. I have and still they say i cant go back due to timescale even tho they dont doubt i was missold. I have until 18th October to give any further information or just accept i cant reclaim fees back.
    Im looking for any help off anyone is this a lost cause or do you think i could still claim ? I never clsimed on any of the benefits never wanted this additions account. Any help will be really appreciated :o
    Not sure if my thread is in correct place , apologies as its my 1st thread

I can't envisage a case of miss-selling.

If there was an overdraft, you will have used more funds than you had, so became liable for the charges according to the bank's t&cs (unless like my bank , a mix up with someone else's account occurred-when I married,my pay went into the account of someone with my maiden name, so when I withdrew from my salary, an overdraft was created)

I think the bank was saying that you couldn't close that particular account until your debt to it was settled.
  • Hi thx so much for reply , sorry matbe i didnt write a great explanation. I didnt want or need the ovetdraft it came with the additions account ( the packaged bank account) i didnt ask for it or sign. It was added on without my knowledge. To be honest it was a 2nd bank account my main full time job account is with lloyds . The FOS has told me it was mis sold but i cant get it back due to the years which has passed since i cancelled the additions account. I still have the current account . Just wondered if i got a leg to stand on really as i know it was mis sold. They are just trying to get out of paying the innocent people again. Therefore banks getting away with mis selling.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As you've found, banks are allowed to apply timebarring to complaints over six years after any alleged misselling (or three years after being aware of it, both of which you've unfortunately exceeded by some distance) and if they do then FOS won't overrule them, regardless of the strength of your case, see https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/DISP/2/8.html#D471. [when it's working, there seems to be a problem with their website today]

So, although it doubtless seems unfair, there is nowhere else to go within the banking industry (including FOS) and your only option would be to try your luck in court....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure