Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• I think its gets much easier over the next few weeks, I love seeing the day by day changes to peoples gardens, watching snowdrops peep through in the happy knowledge that mine are a later variety but in a few weeks they will filling the beds under the fruit trees.

I went outside briefly to fetch the bin in, freezing cold but just a lovely patch of sunshine which made me appreciate the primroses at the front, and I went back to my cold dining room desk, and the tedious admin work much refreshed.

pauline, I find the flakes really helpful for my aches.

I do love seeing the first signs of Spring in the park Redo :).

How do you use the magnesium flakes? Do you sprinkle them on food? I suffer from achy muscles too.
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Good that you can identify what's bugging you and how to solve said problems - if you can find a solution that's fab :)

The exercise will release endorphins - the feel good hormones xx

I agree SA, exercise makes you feel good and then you feel motivated to eat well, etc.
    I feel better after exercise as well. These past 2 weeks it hasn’t been possible , but walking the odd day has helped me.

HHOD enjoy your Saturday morning saunter if you are going .

Yes even a little walking helps Cumbria. I had a great outing thanks :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • I second everyone's good wishes for a lovely morning out, HH:beer:

I hope it's a bit warmer where you are as when I went out to the car at 6.30 this morning for my regular fortnightly very early trip to Morrisons I was gobsmacked to find ice on both windscreens. Not the sort of stuff that just rubs off, it was a scraper job:eek:. I usually watch the weather forecast on our local TV programme every evening and I don't recall them mentioned it being that cold last night.

The only reason I go so early is it takes about 30 minutes to get there and I'm pretty much the first customer when they unlock the doors. The store is nice and empty and so is the carpark so I get to park in one of the Mother and Toddler bays right by the entrance:o. I know I shouldn't but I doubt there will be many mothers with toddlers shopping there at that hour;). I wouldn't dream of doing that in normal hours. The carpark/trolley man hasn't started work for the day so I'm safe:j. I'm up that early every day anyway and being a lark rather than an owl I tend to feel at my most energetic early in the day. I'm usually good for nothing by 9 in the evening:rotfl:. I wish I had £1 for every TV film/play/programme that I didn't see the end of in the evenings because I've nodded off:o

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend whatever you are planning to do:beer:

You are an early bird Carboot :j. I bet the supermarket is lovely at that hour. I'm better in the mornings too and 7.00 am is my natural waking time.

It's warmish and very wet in Devon :eek:
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Enjoy your Saturday. I always feel better after walking too, but then make so many excuses as to why I haven't done it as well. x

It's too easy to makes excuses :mad:. I need to kick myself out of the door every morning. I find it helps if I get my walking clothes ready the night before and put them on when I get up.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2018 at 4:00PM
    I had a fun but slightly spendy Saturday wander.

I bought three brand new books in The Works for £5 (which I really wanted), plus a box file for £3 (to have a central place to collect anything related to possible PPI claims).

I got another hardback book for £1 and two sets of ten Christmas cards for 74p each in the charity shop.

Then I spent about £17 in Mr T on bananas, satsumas, a fruit pot, more reduced coffee :eek:, cheese, bread, and crisps and chocolate for DH and DS1 :mad:..

This is in addition to my bus fare and latte, so way over budget :mad:.

Everything is too much at the moment: too much spending, too much eating and too many excuses :mad:.

I weighed myself this morning and have lost zero weight :( but then I only did one park walk last week :(. So I need to get serious.

I also need to stick to my £20 Saturday budget next week, which is £10 in Mr T and £10 for personal spends including bus fares and coffee. Then any underspends can go in my Emergency Fund.

I also need to eat smaller portions and less snacks. I found myself spooning three heaped serving spoons of oats into my bowl this morning, so I tipped it back and had three flat spoonfuls instead. My evening meal portions have got too big too and I've been sneaking in an extra snack :mad:.

On the plus side, I've done 10,355 steps, 23 floors and 16 active minutes around the shops :j.

Have a great Saturday everyone :).
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You've given yourself a right telling off in your last post HHOD! At least you know where you're going wrong and you can put it right going forward xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Well I needed a good telling off MTG :rotfl:. Now I just need to listen to myself :naughty:
  • I've emptied all the bins in the house, put a wash on and done some de-cluttering.

From the void I've dug out an enormous indoor guinea pig cage, a small indoor rabbit cage and a polyester mattress cover. The mattress cover makes DH and I too hot at night and the cages are manky/have broken clips, so they can all go to the tip/charity shop :T.

I also got out all the jumpers I've been too hot to wear for the past few years (hot flushes :() and tried them all on. Four are faded/worn/dated so have been added to the charity shop pile. That left four stripey jumpers and one plain jumper that could look nice when I've lost half a stone. I also added to the charity pile six pairs of linen trousers that are faded/worn/too wide in the leg. That has freed up a lot of space :T.

There is now room in the void for DS2's suitcase, so a good result :j.

Now I'm going to relax with a banana and a diet coke :D.
  • Funny telling off post! I know what you mean about spending too much. I think things have increased in price too x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Now I'm going to relax with a banana and a diet coke :D.

Erm .... cheers?! :rotfl: Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • This afternoon I definitely noticed it was lighter for longer. It's always nice to notice that spring is on its way even if it is likely to be more snow next month.

The magnesium can be added to a bath or foot soak although it can be added to food, even for plants.

I think it's easy to carry on spending once you have started. And there is definitely an emotional element in my spending.

I have been clearing out some of my clothes too. Life is too short to put up with clothes that are ok-ish. Actually mine are worse than that - things that are just bleugh. So I am getting rid of the things that are misshapen, old and make me feel like I haven't made any effort.

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    117pauline wrote: »
    This afternoon I definitely noticed it was lighter for longer. It's always nice to notice that spring is on its way even if it is likely to be more snow next month.

Take care honey
    Pauline

I have noticed the daylight hours being longer too, even if it's still cold and wet. I think the longer daylight definitely helps make the days feel better too.

I know you told yourself off HH but look how much you've got done! Don't be too hard on yourself x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback