Avro Energy banned from taking on new customers - MSE News

Comments

• wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Vegastare wrote: »
    Just another piece of rubbish that is out of date in a few months.
    Not really.

Smart meters will let suppliers introduce variable tariffs, putting up the price at times of high demand, and in the case of electricity the possibility of taking power factor into account, charging for apparent power not real as now.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    I was with AVRO for over a year. During this time was in credit for over £150 and my monthly payments during the peak of winter was covering my energy usage. After 3 weeks of emailing and calling AVRO to ask for the money back they refused, therefore I decided that I would move due to the rudeness of the customer service and there refusal to provide the refund. Then started a catalogue of errors made by AVRO who continued to charge me even though I had left for another company, incorrect bills even though they agreed the final readings with my new supplier. After banging my head against a brick wall, I eventually raised with the ombudsman service who found in my favour. I am waiting for the compensation!

Yes they are cheap, but with that cheap you get rude and appalling customer service. This is the first time I have written on any forums regarding this experience and hopefully I will not have to do it again, but feel if you wish to join AVRO please go in eyes wide open and be ready for a battle if you want to leave or something goes wrong.

As I often post on this forum, stick with the Big 6 and you won't go far wrong :)

In the meantime, the ombudsman service should have informed you the target date by which the the supplier should have completed the resolution agreed, and what to do if they fail.
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is really sad, as Avro have been great for me and saved me shed loads of money compared to if I had stayed with the big 6.

One thing I love about them at the moment, the contracts are fixed price for 12 months, but with no exit fees, so if you see a better deal (from Avro), a few clicks of the mouse button (all done online, no need to call or email) and you are moved onto newer cheaper tarrif for another 12 months.

I tend to check prices every one to two months and if they are cheaper, will swap to the cheapest tarrif. If they are more expensive, stay with the current one I am on.

I really hope they can sort thing out and it's not the end of them.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Somebody mentioned above if you stick with the big 6 companies you cant go far wrong. Thats not what the 2019 Which survey found.
    "Three quarters of homes are with the Big Six firms but these customers are least likely to be content. Some 69% of Big Six customers are satisfied with their provider, compared with 82% and 80% of medium and small suppliers, respectively."
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/01/best-and-worst-energy-companies-for-2019/
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2019 at 5:04PM
    The ban has been lifted and it's business as usual, but the Cheap Energy Club is months out of date, saying that "Avro has been threatened with a new customer ban by the regulator". I'm really disappointed with MSE: there's no point in customers staying with MSE if it provides wrong information.

I switched from Economy 7 Energy (who were terrible, as you can read on the relevant thread) and I found Avro are fine. You can even switch to their new cheaper fixed tariffs, no waiting, no penalty and it extends the 12-month duration each time. What's not to like?

In any case, it's outrageous that Ofgem penalised Avro for not foisting smart meters on customers who don't want them.

There's almost a conspiracy of silence about the real reason for installing smart meters: ENERGY RATIONING. All smart meters have a kill switch so that you can be remotely disconnected when the generating capacity of the grid is insufficient to meet the peak demand.

Forget all the hype about saving money (wow, a massive £11 per year), you could do that just as easily with a £30 energy monitor instead of a £400 smart meter. Your smart meter will cost you far more (in more expensive tariff rates) than you will ever save.

Why doesn't MSE tell the truth about smart meters and campaign vigorously against them, rather than sycophantically keep peddling the government's hype? flame.gif
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    The ban has been lifted and it's business as usual, but the Cheap Energy Club is months out of date, saying that "Avro has been threatened with a new customer ban by the regulator". I'm really disappointed with MSE: there's no point in customers staying with MSE if it provides wrong information. . .
    I suspect that the reason MSE isn't playing ball is that Avro Energy owes commission to MoneySupermarket (MSE's "parent") which Avro has not paid. Simple revenge at CEC customers' expense.

CEC is not an Ofgem "approved" site so I guess they don't have to comply with the Confidence Code.

The Advertising Standards Agency might, however, have something to say about their "whole of market" claim if reported.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • We are just in the process of moving away from AVRO, to a new deal recommended on MSE Club - of course! But this decision was nothing to do with this lack of smart meters (we decided against one as unnecessary when they first arrived) but AVRO's woeful 'customer service'. For instance, the window in which to enter meter readings is very narrow at just 3 days: fair enough, maybe, except the estimates then used are more suited to a factory in mid-winter than a frugal household in May! The page for meter readings looks pretty but is not user-friendly and, when trying to ring to clarify, AVRO must have the shortest office hours in combination with the dreariest 'on hold' sound (I cannot call it music) across the industry. The quote for a new deal showed a real price-hike as well so, all in all, we are DELIGHTED TO BE MOVING AWAY. It seems that AVRO shows the same contempt for the Regulator as it does for customers, but we hope it survives, though, for the sake of its happier (ex) customers.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    I was about to move away from Avro as the ban on new customers could have affected its cash flow and its ability to survive. But having done a comparison yesterday my estimated spend for next year is only 1% more than this so I have changed tariffs with effect from next month. This process is very easy provided you put in a date that is before the current tariff end.
    As for the meter read window mentioned above I can see it would be a problem if you were on holiday but there is nothing to stop you putting readings at any time and I have never found this process confusing. When AVRO have used estimates on my bills these have always been spot on. So for now I look forward to savings for another year.
  • mbailey
    I switched from Economy 7 Energy (who were terrible, as you can read on the relevant thread) and I found Avro are fine. You can even switch to their new cheaper fixed tariffs, no waiting, no penalty and it extends the 12-month duration each time. What's not to like?

Completely agree. I've done the same, changing to new cheaper tarrif 3 times this year already with just a few clicks of the mouse and all done. Change happens automatically and then you are on a new 12 month deal.

In any case, it's outrageous that Ofgem penalised Avro for not foisting smart meters on customers who don't want them.

I think you missed the point slightly, as the reason for the original ban on Avro was not related to them installing smart meters, but for them not joining the scheme which allows existing customers who already have a smart meter to allow their meter readings to be collected automatically.

Personally for me I have no issues with Smart meters and would really like one (as long as it is SMETS2) as it would then save the monthly having to remember to read the meters.
  • mbailey
    HonBJO wrote: »
    We are just in the process of moving away from AVRO, to a new deal recommended on MSE Club - of course! But this decision was nothing to do with this lack of smart meters (we decided against one as unnecessary when they first arrived) but AVRO's woeful 'customer service'. For instance, the window in which to enter meter readings is very narrow at just 3 days: fair enough, maybe, except the estimates then used are more suited to a factory in mid-winter than a frugal household in May! The page for meter readings looks pretty but is not user-friendly and, when trying to ring to clarify, AVRO must have the shortest office hours in combination with the dreariest 'on hold' sound (I cannot call it music) across the industry. The quote for a new deal showed a real price-hike as well so, all in all, we are DELIGHTED TO BE MOVING AWAY. It seems that AVRO shows the same contempt for the Regulator as it does for customers, but we hope it survives, though, for the sake of its happier (ex) customers.

The reality is energy prices have risen for everyone. If you were on a previous 12 months fixed price deal which just came to an end, it will be more expensive everywhere else now, and not just with Avro.

Certainly for me, when I did a new check of the market now, Avro still comes out way cheaper than all the big 6 and still near the top in terms of price.

However, I completely agree that the customer service is lacking. It's a tricky one, if you want cheap prices, they need to cut costs somewhere. From my experience when I have had issues I have emailed avro and yes it might take a few days to get a response, but they did eventually respond. [ That was last year, and don't know what the email response times are like now.]

As for the meter reading window, you can enter a meter reading when ever you want. The only thing about the 3 day window, is that they use the exact reading if you supply it during this window. If you enter at another time, they just estimate it based on previous usage and previous readings. From my experience over past 2 years this has worked really well and better that I had previously with other suppliers.

The only thing you have to keep an eye on is your monthly DD amount and the amount of surplus cash that builds in your account. When I first joined Avro my DD was a little high, which resulted in a surplus of over £100 (even in winter) paid to them. After a few email discussions they agreed to lower the DD based on previous usage and now I keep the surplus with them alot lower.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback