Family loan

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MEM62 wrote: »
    It is a predictable tactic. Divorce is often a dirty business. (Although I can see FIL's view. Why should his money benefit you to the tune of £17.5K when you are divorcing his daughter?) Ultimately, a court will decide whether it works or not but if you and your ex choose to fight it that far you will loose more than that in legal fees. You'll both be far better off being sensible and coming to an agreement rather than making you lawyers rich.

Errrr no - they have to pay the FIL £63,000 based on current value - its not clear that FIL wants the original sum or 1 5th of the property's value in 2012.....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Flip1234 wrote: »
    The ex wants to buy my share of the house. It looks to me that this is a way of reducing my equity in the property. If FIL gets his share I will be left with 30000 for a 315000 house.

You owe the money. No doubt you have nothing in writing about him writing off the debt as I asked and you didn't say you had. I'm failing to see the issue, it isn't like you're having to go out and find £35,000 from elsewhere, you're literally paying him back out of money you've gained from doing nothing but living in a property that he helped fund you to get.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Errrr no - they have to pay the FIL £63,000 based on current value - its not clear that FIL wants the original sum or 1 5th of the property's value in 2012.....

I based that on the statement in the original post original post that he 'wants his money back' not that he wanted his share of house value. But as you say, it's not clear.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Flip1234 wrote: »
    Hi apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. In 2012 my wife and I bought a property. My FIL leant us 35000 towards the cost. We had an agreement that within 10 years we would repay him 1/5 of the properties value. 10 years went by and he wrote the debt off. We are now getting a divorce and ex has said that FIL now wants his money back. Is he able to do this?
    When you say that he wrote the debt off, do you mean that he told you to keep it, and he was changing it to being a gift?

If so, that was that, really. You can’t demand a gift back years later.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I hope you both declared this loan to the mortgage company at the time, you wouldn't want this to go to court and show you are trying to benefit from fraud
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Did the loan company know you was borrowing money from the fil at the time or did he say it was a "gift" to help you buy the house. If it was a gift he will of signed a legal statement it's a gift and he doesn't expect it back"
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    These aren't the answers the OP wanted!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 May 2019 at 9:34AM
    foxy-stoat wrote: »

OP you signed a contract and if I had been in your FILs place and given my daughter a substantial deposit with written confirmation of the arrangements I would want it enforced should her and my son in law split. The legal costs will be high so you are better off coming to some arrangement and pay what you promised to pay. Presumably as you only own half the property it is just 20% of your share so half of the total value. Being greedy never ends well. You will still walk away with £30k and considering he helped you buy the property it is the least you could do. Of course he wants his daughter to benefit the most.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2019 at 9:50AM
    To be fair OP also said the debt was written off so is it fair that FIL now wants his money back ?
    No doubt nothing was documented at any stage.
    But odds are high FIL signed a doc for the lender agreeing this was a gift so he doesn't have much standing either.
    Either this goes legal or they will have to come to an agreement. OP will need to search his conscience. If it goes legal OP is in the driving seat because as it stands FIL has no way to get the money without what would be expensive legal action.
    Ps it's also unclear if FIL wants / expects ;
    Original money back
    1/5 value at the time of write off that it turns out wasn't a write off
    1/5 value when sold.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    OP you signed a contract and if I had been in your FILs place and given my daughter a substantial deposit with written confirmation of the arrangements I would want it enforced should her and my son in law split. The legal costs will be high so you are better off coming to some arrangement and pay what you promised to pay.
    I disagree. You cannot forgive a debt then change your mind six years later.

Once the debt was gone it can’t be resurrected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure