PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Asked OH to pop to the shop for a loaf of bread last night and he came back loaded up with YS fruit and veg. Not quite as good as your haul moguline lol. He got
    4 packs cavolo Nero
    1.5kg king Edward potatoes
    3 bags carrots
    5 bags of shallots
    2 heads of broccoli
    1 cauliflower
    3 bags of pears
    1 bag of diced carrot and swede
    2 packs of 2 avocados
    1 aubergine
    1 pack of leeks
    All for £2.82
    First things first will be a big batch of minestrone I think.might try to do this with some of the kale
    http://www.gettystewart.com/how-to-freeze-kale-in-convenient-pucks/

That's still an amazing haul though! Love it!
  • Asked OH to pop to the shop for a loaf of bread last night and he came back loaded up with YS fruit and veg. Not quite as good as your haul moguline lol. He got
    4 packs cavolo Nero
    1.5kg king Edward potatoes
    3 bags carrots
    5 bags of shallots
    2 heads of broccoli
    1 cauliflower
    3 bags of pears
    1 bag of diced carrot and swede
    2 packs of 2 avocados
    1 aubergine
    1 pack of leeks
    All for £2.82
    First things first will be a big batch of minestrone I think.might try to do this with some of the kale
    http://www.gettystewart.com/how-to-freeze-kale-in-convenient-pucks/

Great haul, result :):j:j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Not running out of freezer space but running out of the will to live if I'm forced to eat many more things containing blackberries!
    Loo on the bright side, t least you'll be keeping regular :D

I want to get rid of ?6 rolls of puff pastry from my freezer, any suggestions?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Loo on the bright side, t least you'll be keeping regular :D

I want to get rid of ?6 rolls of puff pastry from my freezer, any suggestions?

Is it puff pastry that you can cut the sheets into little squares and make mini canapes with simple toppings - they were popular at Slimming World as you could put healthy toppings on and it was a low syn snack/lunch box item, but might have been flaky pastry? Sorry not sure I'm being much help!
  • Just had to throw half a loaf away - I only buy it for my OH, and I only buy small loaves, but it had gone blue and mouldy :(

He doesn't eat it if I leave it in the freezer, maybe I should get some sort of food saver in the bread bin and we can just put a couple of slices a day in?
  • Fabulous result in that my neighbour has just had an unexpected car repair expense and is happy to take all the home grown produce from the freezers to help them out because she has room, so much better than having them end up on the compost heap! I have to say that I am sad she has had the expense though and this will help her out!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    That's fantastic Mrs LW, and what a good neighbour you are to help her out, and how nice its going to someone who will aprreciate it and not on the compost heap. Well done . I too have super neighbours and we swap fruit and veg surplus for cakes and biscuits as I like baking (although not too much at the moment with the heat.

Last night I steamed a head of broccoli and some new potatoes and had half with a piece of steamed salmon from the freezer Tonight I'll have the other half of the broccoli and potatoes with a couple of sausages I found lurking in the freezer Its very slowly going down ,but it is slow going.

JackieO xx
  • I'm trying to work through the YS haul at the moment. Yesterday I made a big batch of minestrone soup which we have all had for lunch. For dinner last night I did a sort of potato hash. I parboiled the potatoes and cubed them. Boiled the kale slightly. I fried a couple of onions and added the potatoes and kale and fried until the potatoes were nice and crispy. Served it with some of the gammon joint I had. It was a bargain I thought. £3.65 full price for 1.3kg from lidl. It's done us dinners every night since Sunday. Going to use the last bit tonight with the same potato hash recipe.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Eight days until I am away, and milk and possibly a bag of carrots aside I am trying not to buy any food between now and then. I've got plenty of fresh fruit and salad to finish, so that will last me until Tuesday at least, and then it will be a case of freezer diving.

I have totally binged on chocolate over the last week and am feeling very out of sorts now. Nothing that can't be fixed with a few days of healthy food and I quite enjoy seeing the contents of my fridge reduce every day having been stuffed quite full lately. Is that a bit weird?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I've made us a vegetable stew using up ends of packets from the fridge to have with home made garlic bread using a couple of rolls and fruit compote from freezer stocks for pud for our main meal today, looking forward to the stew it smells delicious!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback