Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 13th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    • 685Posts
    • 390Thanks
    diamond dave
    TSB banking dilemma
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    TSB banking dilemma 13th Jun 19 at 10:21 AM
    I recently opened an account with TSB for my elderly/sick fil. Everything seemed ok, but he couldnt log on(with my help) and he contacted TSB. He was told that despite have been sent a debit card and an activation code, he had to provide "secondary identification" by visiting the " local" branch. He is 92,( has all his marbles) lives in an upstairs flat and walks with difficulty using equipment, the "local" branch is 15 miles away, and located in a pedestrian area with cobbles and uneven pavements.The cs person says there is NO other way around he not visiting the branch, but the ironic thing is they do not need photo id, just a council tax bill and a state pension letter!! he cannot send them by post nor can I or his daughter take them in for him. Take about Catch 22 he needs an online account as he finds it difficult mobility wise but cannot get one unless he visits the bank.How can this be right? Can anyone offer advice? He recently opened an account with the post office with now problems whatsoever.!!!
Page 2
    • colsten
    • By colsten 16th Jun 19, 9:40 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    Thanks for all the replies - we have decided that its too much hassle for him, but I am going into the branch myself WITH all the documentation just to prove what T***s they are. Following that I intend emailing the CEO with my complaints. I know it will do no good, but I'm like a dog with a bone and the managers' attitude on the phone was appalling. Having just watched the D Day celebrations with all those 90 year old veterans, I could see my FIL just like those other heroes. He does not want any favours he just wants to be able to open this account. He,Ho, we'll just have to go somewhere else.
    Originally posted by diamond dave
    Good luck with that cunning plan. You don't even have POA, so you have no authority to represent your FIL in any financial matters.

Aside from that, WW II has nothing to do with opening a bank account.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 17th Jun 19, 8:46 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    diamond dave
    what a stupid reply, colsten. Actually, I do have a POA,thanks, but I shouldn't need it. All I am trying to say is that it is impossible for an elderly person with mobility problems to access this account. Surely there must be a way of producing these docs. without going to the branch. And yes he is a veteran, is extremely proud. As for a "cunning plan" if you read my post correctly, I have no intention of proceeding with this action, merely pointing out to the manager how difficult accessing this branch is for him. The stupidity of the whole thing is that they have sent him a debit card, th PIN and various letters welcoming him.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 18th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Proof that he's alive (the photo)
    Originally posted by pochisoldi
    There's plenty of photos of people who are dead...
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Jun 19, 3:56 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    what a stupid reply, colsten. Actually, I do have a POA,thanks, but I shouldn't need it. All I am trying to say is that it is impossible for an elderly person with mobility problems to access this account. Surely there must be a way of producing these docs. without going to the branch. And yes he is a veteran, is extremely proud. As for a "cunning plan" if you read my post correctly, I have no intention of proceeding with this action, merely pointing out to the manager how difficult accessing this branch is for him. The stupidity of the whole thing is that they have sent him a debit card, th PIN and various letters welcoming him.
    Originally posted by diamond dave
    Perhaps the difficulties you and your FIL are experiencing with TSB could have been avoided if you had told them you have POA. This entire thread would most likely have taken a different direction if you had posted here that you have a POA.

You seem to be strangely obsessed with matters that are irrelevant to TSB's account opening processes. TSB would hardly exempt people from going through their random checks because of what someone did 70+ years ago (or even last year). They might, however, co-operate if you approach them as the holder of the POA. They're likely to still be asking why the gent needs a new account - a question you haven't yet answered in this thread either.

Whatever, I have completely lost interest in anything from you and will now add you to my ignore list. You might wish to do the same with me.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 19th Jun 19, 1:56 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    diamond dave
    tsb dilemma
    Lets finish this now - all I ever wanted to do was to help my fil to open this account without putting him through all this hassle. Does no one understand how difficult it is for an elderly person with mobility problems( in Cornwall) to access this branch. Thanks for all your replies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,356Users online

Martin's Twitter