Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • troutman
    • By troutman 13th Jun 19, 9:29 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 12Thanks
    troutman
    Car insurance write off
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:29 AM
    Car insurance write off 13th Jun 19 at 9:29 AM
    My car was involved in an accident hit by some debris. After insurance assessment they have deemed the car write off.

Now it has a scrape on the front bumper side door and rear wing.

So worse case scenario respray Bumper,front wing passenger door.

Most place ive spoken to 200 per section 600 all in.

The car is an old TT estimate 2200 in value as low mileage good example.

I dont want it written off i want it repaired, what are my options here thanks.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:43 AM
    Ask your insurer to buy the salvage by way of a deduction from the settlement and repair it yourself

(Assuming you will then be able to put it back on the road)
    • troutman
    • By troutman 13th Jun 19, 9:46 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    troutman
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:46 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:46 AM
    Cheers but i gather this means it will be written off in the meantime if so how will affect me getting this reinsured?

They told me the cost exceeds 60% of it's value which i believe is BS. Can i ask for 50% and not have it written off?
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 13th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 3,038 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:56 AM
    Ask your insurer to buy the salvage by way of a deduction from the settlement and repair it yourself

Originally posted by Quentin

I asked my insurer if I could do that and the refused point blank. They said that there would be a risk of the car being not being repaired properly and they have to work in conjunction with police to help prevent unroadworthy cars being put on the road. There was a lot more damage done on my car than the OP's though, so I could see their point.
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 13th Jun 19, 10:34 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:34 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Quentin
    Ask your insurers what write off catagory it will be placed in
    This will guide you as to whether it can go back on the road
    Beware that your insurers may not make buying back easy as they are likely to have "arrangements" with salvage companies like Copart and I expect that your contract states that they can do just that.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    Cheers but i gather this means it will be written off in the meantime if so how will affect me getting this reinsured?

They told me the cost exceeds 60% of it's value which i believe is BS. Can i ask for 50% and not have it written off?
    Originally posted by troutman
    They mean that it's not economic to repair. From what you say they aren't going to sell you the salvage

As they won't play ball check what category write off it is

Then if it can be put back on the road you either cancel your claim and repair it yourself otherwise accept it's a write off, take their offer and move on

They will deduct your excess from the offer and usually any outstanding premium is also deducted

Find out how long they give you to get a replacement on cover before cancelling your policy
    Last edited by Quentin; 13-06-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    • Hardy22
    • By Hardy22 13th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hardy22
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    Hi, we have the same dilemma, although our car was damaged by the garage during an MOT and road test by a third party!!. The damage is in our view pretty small but they estimate 2k to repair. To say we are angry is an understatement as the garage insurers are offering a paltry amount as write off value...Because we declined the offer the insurance company are now sending a valuer to look at the car. We have gone from a well looked after, excellent condition, fully serviced car to nothing. For the money offered we wont be able to find another vehicle of the same condition... Any suggestions?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    Find your own evidence of it's pre incident market value.

Then make your case.

But you are in their hands and they don't have to use market value as their guide

Legal action/accident management company are your alternatives
    • RupH19
    • By RupH19 15th Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RupH19
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    The simple solution is to ask you insurers to settle the claim by way of a cash in lieu payment or obtain your own quote and submit that to your insurers requesting agreement by their engineers to authorize the repair direct to your own garage - assuming as you say your suggested estimate repair cost will be less than their suggested total loss figure so thus will reduce their overall outlay. They have to use genuine new parts so for them to repair will likely make it uneconomically as they suggest.
    The vehicle remain your property so write to them and confirm no action should be taken to formally register the vehicle as a total loss as this stage whilst you obtain your own estimate for repair.
    Hope that helps - if you need more help shout up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter