Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexanderUK
    • By AlexanderUK 13th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AlexanderUK
    Joint Account with Both-ToSign
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    Joint Account with Both-ToSign 13th Jun 19 at 2:21 PM
    I'm trying to find a decent Joint Account with a Both-To-Sign facility. I did my research which mainly involved looking at the list on the Which website.

We decided to go with NatWest, created the joint account and setup a mandate for Both-To-Sign. The problem is that, contrary to what we were told at the time of setting up the account, the account is not available to view, either in the NatWest app, or via the web. This is rather annoying as I'm used to being able to check the account balence, or check when deposits are made, of every other bank account I have. NatWest have told us that we would have to wait for a statement, or check in branch, in order to get this information.

So, it's a bit of a niche question, but does anyone know of a Joint Account, with Both-To-Sign facility, that has a smartphone app, or web interface?
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 13th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    18cc
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    Well the problem is that online banking allows you to make payments after you have logged on and of course if you have dual signatures then it is difficult to enforce that when one person could log on and make a payment

what you want is a view-only access to the account so that you can see balances etc not sure anyone offers that
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 13th Jun 19, 2:41 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    18cc
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:41 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:41 PM
    I should say that I was talking about personal accounts when I was talking about view-only access probably (as far as i know) not being available

some business accounts tdo allow view only access eg Santander so you might have to open a business account to get the facility you want
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 13th Jun 19, 5:37 PM
    • 26,124 Posts
    • 13,285 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:37 PM
    Perhaps if you could explain WHY you need this facility we might be able to make suggestions.
    IMO the business account idea will not work unless you are a business>.
    A smartphone banking app will let you view balances but also move funds in and out of the account - why make life difficult?
    AS I said I don't know the reason you must have joint signatures - please tell us more.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • AlexanderUK
    • By AlexanderUK 13th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlexanderUK
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    Why does anyone need both signatures for a joint account? Because you need to manage money with someone else but you don't want the other account holder withdrawing it all and running off to The Bahamas with it.

I've checked with just about every bank offering the "Both-To-Sign" service that I know of, and none of them offer Online Banking with that service via Personal Banking.

However, the Business Banking premise is a good idea. Santander have already told me that the won't let customers run businesses from a personal bank account, but I'm wondering if they will do it the other way around.
    • AlexanderUK
    • By AlexanderUK 13th Jun 19, 8:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlexanderUK
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:50 PM
    It looks like the only way to do it is to go with the Joint Account with Both To Sign and manage it via Telephone banking. If you ask your bank to set it as your main account then you can use the automated service and you don't even need to speak to another human being.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 13th Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    Why does anyone need both signatures for a joint account? Because you need to manage money with someone else but you don't want the other account holder withdrawing it all and running off to The Bahamas with it.
    Originally posted by AlexanderUK
    If I thought that the person I was opening a joint account with was likely to withdraw all the money and run off to the Bahamas, I wouldn't be opening an account with them in the first place!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Jun 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:18 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:18 PM
    Why does anyone need both signatures for a joint account? Because you need to manage money with someone else but you don't want the other account holder withdrawing it all and running off to The Bahamas with it..
    It looks like the only way to do it is to go with the Joint Account with Both To Sign and manage it via Telephone banking. If you ask your bank to set it as your main account then you can use the automated service and you don't even need to speak to another human being.
    Am I missing something?

You want joint signatories for everything - because...

you don't want the other account holder withdrawing it all and running off to The Bahamas with it.
    So why do you want internet access (which would be one person -as discussed above) and why on earth would telephone banking (which also, surely, only needs one person) be a good idea?
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 13th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    Santander have already told me that the won't let customers run businesses from a personal bank account, but I'm wondering if they will do it the other way around.
    I doubt they would. But if they did you'd pay business banking fees.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Jun 19, 5:34 PM
    • 26,124 Posts
    • 13,285 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Just assume that the OP did manage to get an account as he wishes with 'both to sign' and the other party does indeed flit to the Bahamas or anywhere else how would the OP access his money?

I bet he would be back on here crucifying the bank for not letting him get to 'his' money>?
    Am I right or am I right?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter