Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • DanishCake511
    • By DanishCake511 14th Jun 19, 3:33 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Advice re Survey options
    • #1
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:33 PM
    Advice re Survey options 14th Jun 19 at 3:33 PM
    I have recently had an offer accepted on my first property: a 2-bed mid terraced house. I viewed it twice and I am concerned about some cracks in the walls within the rear extension area which makes up the utility and bathroom. Also some cracks which run along the window in the exterior.

    I did take photos but don't know if it is possible to upload? I have been advised that for this type of Victorian property I should have either a Homebuyers survey or more comprehensive Building Survey. I'm leaning toward the Building Survey for concerns over these cracks but it is an old property and so unsure what to expect.

    I would also like to find out if it would be possible to break into the loft for a potential loft conversion but I'm not sure the surveyor will be able to tell me this and I have't been up there myself.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 19, 4:19 PM
    • 29,567 Posts
    • 102,450 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:19 PM
    • #2
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:19 PM
    You may need a structural engineer's advice, but as it's Victorian I'd start with the Buildings Survey and take it from there.

    I would make 100% sure whoever looks at the property for you has access to the loft and they agree to go there. Any surveyor will have a pretty shrewd idea about the feasibility of converting the space from simple measurements of height etc.

    Uploading photos here means using a host, like :
    Last edited by Davesnave; 14-06-2019 at 4:21 PM.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 19, 5:24 PM
    • 49,730 Posts
    • 61,766 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:24 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:24 PM
    when choosing a surveyor, don't just appoint one recommended (by lender, financial advser etc) choose your own. And don't appoint the cheapest you can fnd on the internet.

    Ring a few local RICS surveyors and talk to them! Explain what you want.If they fob you off with "we have a standard process towork through" forget them.If they understand your specific enquiries and agree to check/comment on those, then you've got a winner.

    I know this is a moneysaving site, but pay a bit extra to get answers to your questions, and long term you'll be saving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

2,275Users online

Martin's Twitter