Lloyd’s falsely giving cifas ?

Options
Hello I’m 17 now but was 15 when this happened.

As a lot of you lot know on Snapchat there are tons of accounts claiming they sell iPhones for cheaper then the usual price I got tricked into buying two iPhone 8s for £700 at the time and everything went smooth I went to meet the person and he told me he’s going to get his mate to take the money off me as I only had cash.

I met his friend and gave him the money and I didn’t get a reply ever since few days later I got blocked so I was confused and worried.. I contacted the police and threatened the user about me contacting the police and he agreed to give my money back.

He obviously would not meet up so he will send it through the bank to me ...I believe he was with Santander at the time if I remember correctly,he told me he will send in chunks(later realising because he was scamming other users through bank transfer and then sending me money) once £250 was sent he said he can’t send anymore to the account and me being desperate as I wanted these iPhones for myself and a gift I gave him my savings account which he paid £250 in another chunk and £200 in another chunk.

Everything was fine I got my money back but then I woke up and went to check my mobile banking app and it said my account has been suspended and to contact lloyds so I did and they told me I had to come into branch.

Next day I got into branch and I explain the situation they didn’t take my serious and didn’t really give any focus when I was explaining what happened but they was fast to tell me that they are closing down my accounts and I won’t be able to open a bank with any other banks and will not be able to get a mortgage or any loans but they said it in confusing words at the time I was 15 I didn’t understand any of this so I thought nothing of it now that I’m older it has a massive impact on me.

I contacted a solicitor and they told me the bank thought I was money laundering as the sender of the money was getting that money from fraud and once their bank account got shut they investigated mine.

I was so confused and did some research about what a money launderer is and then I was shocked as I didn’t even take any of the money out so if I was a money launderer I would of taken it out.

I contacted lloyds and wrote a letter of complaint telling them how I’ve been with their bank since a little kid as my mum opened my saver account when I was around 10 so I’ve been a loyal customer and a long term customer.

They refused my story and told me my accounts are being closed and I won’t be able to open any other accounts.

Any idea on what to do ? I need a bank and im being falsely accused I tried to complain but no help at all.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At 15 you went to see a solicitor?

School holidays started early?
  • Mumtaz1
    Options
    I stated that when I turned 17 ...
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    'Loyal and long standing customer' at the age of 17 paying his pocket money in every week LOL.

To answer your question if you got money paid into your account as a result of fraud then you get a CIFAS.
    Go onto the CIFAS website to see if you can appeal?

From what you have written you have no hope of getting it removed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Record of someone under the age of 18 on the CIFAS blacklist database?
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mumtaz1 wrote: »
    Hello I’m 17 now but was 15 when this happened.

As a lot of you lot know on Snapchat there are tons of accounts claiming they sell iPhones for cheaper then the usual price I got tricked into buying two iPhone 8s for £700 at the time and everything went smooth I went to meet the person and he told me he’s going to get his mate to take the money off me as I only had cash.

I met his friend and gave him the money and I didn’t get a reply ever since few days later I got blocked so I was confused and worried.. I contacted the police and threatened the user about me contacting the police and he agreed to give my money back.

He obviously would not meet up so he will send it through the bank to me ...I believe he was with Santander at the time if I remember correctly,he told me he will send in chunks(later realising because he was scamming other users through bank transfer and then sending me money) once £250 was sent he said he can’t send anymore to the account and me being desperate as I wanted these iPhones for myself and a gift I gave him my savings account which he paid £250 in another chunk and £200 in another chunk.

Everything was fine I got my money back but then I woke up and went to check my mobile banking app and it said my account has been suspended and to contact lloyds so I did and they told me I had to come into branch.

Next day I got into branch and I explain the situation they didn’t take my serious and didn’t really give any focus when I was explaining what happened but they was fast to tell me that they are closing down my accounts and I won’t be able to open a bank with any other banks and will not be able to get a mortgage or any loans but they said it in confusing words at the time I was 15 I didn’t understand any of this so I thought nothing of it now that I’m older it has a massive impact on me.

I contacted a solicitor and they told me the bank thought I was money laundering as the sender of the money was getting that money from fraud and once their bank account got shut they investigated mine.

I was so confused and did some research about what a money launderer is and then I was shocked as I didn’t even take any of the money out so if I was a money launderer I would of taken it out.

I contacted lloyds and wrote a letter of complaint telling them how I’ve been with their bank since a little kid as my mum opened my saver account when I was around 10 so I’ve been a loyal customer and a long term customer.

They refused my story and told me my accounts are being closed and I won’t be able to open any other accounts.

Any idea on what to do ? I need a bank and im being falsely accused I tried to complain but no help at all.

Have a look at how long a CIFA stays on your account and get used to paying cash for several years.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Record of someone under the age of 18 on the CIFAS blacklist database?
    Why should under 18s be excluded? That would be a ludicrous loophole which fraudsters would long have started to exploit
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    So you simply handed over £700 cash without getting the phones in exchange? You must have been incredibly gullible. Even a 15 year old should have known better than that.
    Who were you planning on giving the 2nd phone to as a gift at 15?
    The amount of money transferred to your account is somewhat low to trigger money laundering concerns.
    Where did the £700 come from in the first place? From this account, your parents or ????
    If this happened when you were 15 and you are now 17, why wait so long to discuss it here?
    What have your parents said about all this?
    colsten wrote: »
    Why should under 18s be excluded? That would be a ludicrous loophole which fraudsters would long have started to exploit
    Surely at 15 OP was not on the ER and would not have a credit report, so just where was this data recorded against them?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    colsten wrote: »

I didn't know - people under the age of 18 can have data recorded against them by Cifas.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2019 at 10:19AM
    Options
    NOBODY expects a cfias marker! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

I didn't expect a kind of cfias marker...
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mumtaz1 wrote: »
    Any idea on what to do ? I need a bank

You could try and get an account from somewhere like Monzo - some with CIFAS markers have apparently managed to get accounts with them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure