E.on Fix Online v20

Comments

• oliverbrown
    oliverbrown Posts: 522 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Smodlet wrote: »
    They force people to have so-called smart meters which are anything but as soon as you change suppliers.
    The cheapest current E.on tariff, Fix Online, does not require you to agree to a smart meter being installed.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The cheapest current E.on tariff, Fix Online, does not require you to agree to a smart meter being installed.

OK, perhaps I misunderstood, oliverbrown, but it sounds as if they still hound you and how is one to interpret (paraphrasing) "perhaps another tariff would suit you better if you refuse to have one" if not as a requirement?

I thank you for your response but am still very unsure about Eon... Better the devil I know, perhaps, provided they can come up with a competitive tariff in the next 47 days. So far, not a sausage. Still, there is EDF, n'est-ce pas? :eek: (Imagine that icon with a beret, if you will)
  • oliverbrown
    I understand your hesitance given some of the woolly language used by the E.on rep on here, but I don't see anything in the current T&C which would allow them to kick you off the tariff if one was offered, and refused, a smart meter.

So I would say if and when such an "offer" for a smart meter comes, politely refuse it and state there's nothing within the T&C which enforces it. If it came to a dispute, I don't think the Energy Ombudsman would rule in E.on's favour.

Remember, the worst that could happen is that they kick you onto the standard variable tariff, at which point you can leave penalty free, but I don't think it would come to that.
  • Smodlet
    Can you leave penalty free, though? It is so long since I was on a standard tariff, I no longer know. As you say, "wooly" language gives me pause. Really not worth the hassle but I am grateful for the reminder to beware of these hard sell tactics, should I have to change provider.
  • oliverbrown
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Can you leave penalty free, though?
    Yes, there is no penalty to leave E.on from the standard variable tariff.
  • Smodlet
    Yes, there is no penalty to leave E.on from the standard variable tariff.

Thank you for your time and patience with me, oliverbrown. I will admit it is several years since I switched supplier and the prospect of doing so does not fill me with joy. The current one has always come up with the best tariff for me in the nick of time but time is running out for them now. I will watch the CEC.
  • docpaulo
    docpaulo Posts: 8 Forumite
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar position to others here regarding smart meter requirements. I have an added problem - E.ON don't seem to be able to supply me with the full T&Cs for the tariff I'm switching to so that I can check them!

Briefly, last week I initiated a switch through the MSE Cheap Energy Club to E.ON's 'Fix Online Exclusive v4 with Clean £2'. According to the tariff details on CEC this didn't include a smart meter requirement (it WAS stated for other tariffs on there), and at no point in the online switching process was I told that a
    smart meter was a requirement or that I would be contacted about one or asked to confirm that I wanted one.

Yesterday I received a 'Welcome' email from E.ON which had the same wording under 'Getting Smart' as Gold123 reported in post #40 above. My experience differs from Gold123 in that I can't obtain a copy of the tariff T&Cs to check it! The charges are listed in the email but the 'T&Cs for this tariff' link in the email is broken and takes me to an error page ending '../for-your-home/errors/quote-and-signup-error'.

So earlier today I spent a frustrating 80 minutes on the phone and online to E.ON trying to find somebody who could either send me a copy of the T&C document or discuss the terms relating to smart meter requirements for this tariff. Staff were either 'not tariff trained' or couldn't/wouldn't put me in touch with the 'Tariff Team' directly. Finally I waited on the phone while a CS rep trawled through the Tariffs section of the E.ON website looking for the tariff and not finding it (I'd already tried that!). At that point I ended the call and started searching this forum. Wish I'd done that earlier but didn't realise there was this ambiguity.

So, can anyone please send me a working link to T&Cs specific for the above tariff or PM me a copy of it while I am still in my cooling off period (until June 28th).

I should state that I have no intention of explaining or discussing my reasons for not wanting a smart meter: any replies to that effect will be ignored.
  • Gold123
    Gold123 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Had same issue as you, can't load the T&C's but based on what I've read in this thread there is no longer a requirement to have a smart meter, only that they can contact you to offer one, at least that's what I hope.
  • oliverbrown
    edited 17 June 2019 at 6:19PM
    docpaulo wrote: »
    So, can anyone please send me a working link to T&Cs specific for the above tariff or PM me a copy of it while I am still in my cooling off period (until June 28th).

Here are the T&C for your package. Fix Online Exclusive terms are in section 11: https://www.eonenergy.com/-/media/downloads/residential/tariffs/2019/q2/fix-online-exclusive.pdf

Edit: I missed that you went for the Clean £2 option. I'd imagine that aside from the £2, the T&C are identical to the above, but maybe an E.on rep could confirm.
  • oliverbrown
    In the end I found the T&C for Fix Online Exclusive with Clean £2: https://www.eonenergy.com/-/media/downloads/residential/tariffs/2019/q2/fix-online-exclusive-clean-2.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure