Gearbox or clutch issue

Comments

• rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 850 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had many of the same problems as you unfortunately.

Boot leaked, Fuel filter was causing car to go into limp mode randomly, etc etc.

Luckily, most of my issues came during the first 5 years so were fixed under warranty. Now it's out of warranty, I think I'll be moving it on soon.

The first time the synchro rings went, the dealer tried telling me it was wear and tear on the clutch and I was liable for the cost of repair - I think they quoted around £1500 for the clutch. After kicking off with Hyundai UK, the dealer investigated further and found that the synchro rings were at fault so covered under warranty. I dread to think what they'd have ended up charging if it wasn't covered by warranty.

I'm sure a local garage will be much cheaper than the main dealers though. The problem is, they have to strip the gearbox down to fully investigate so once they start the work, they've got you over a barrel
  • MrBrindle
    MrBrindle Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    rob7475 wrote: »
    I've had many of the same problems as you unfortunately.

Boot leaked, Fuel filter was causing car to go into limp mode randomly, etc etc.

Luckily, most of my issues came during the first 5 years so were fixed under warranty. Now it's out of warranty, I think I'll be moving it on soon.

The first time the synchro rings went, the dealer tried telling me it was wear and tear on the clutch and I was liable for the cost of repair - I think they quoted around £1500 for the clutch. After kicking off with Hyundai UK, the dealer investigated further and found that the synchro rings were at fault so covered under warranty. I dread to think what they'd have ended up charging if it wasn't covered by warranty.

I'm sure a local garage will be much cheaper than the main dealers though. The problem is, they have to strip the gearbox down to fully investigate so once they start the work, they've got you over a barrel

Sorry, oversaw the fact you had it done under warranty.

I'm getting a local mechanic to do it, who is very good. I know it won't be cheap, but dreading the cost. I might ask for a ball park figure before hand though as we may consider part ex-ing it anyway if it is £1000+. The car is only worth around £5000 now so what's the point spending that sort of money on it?
  • alan_d
    alan_d Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sounds like the gearboxes in these are made of cheese.
    Clutch failure isn't particularly rare in any car depending on the mileage and how it's been driven. The clutch is a part that wears as it's used...
    Fuel filter is usually replaced in each major service - maybe Hyundai don't specify this, and eventually it gets clogged.
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    . I might ask for a ball park figure before hand though as we may consider part ex-ing it anyway if it is £1000+. The car is only worth around £5000 now so what's the point spending that sort of money on it?

Once this work is done, you can be pretty confident that you won't see any further clutch issues.
    I've recently spent more on a car that's worth less than yours, overhauling the clutch/gearbox/suspension/engine mounts etc - because it does exactly what I need it to, and I plan on keeping it for years. I'd rather put the money into this than buy another with unknown issues.
  • rob7475
    alan_d wrote: »
    Clutch failure isn't particularly rare in any car depending on the mileage and how it's been driven. The clutch is a part that wears as it's used...
    Fuel filter is usually replaced in each major service - maybe Hyundai don't specify this, and eventually it gets clogged.

Once this work is done, you can be pretty confident that you won't see any further clutch issues.
    I've recently spent more on a car that's worth less than yours, overhauling the clutch/gearbox/suspension/engine mounts etc - because it does exactly what I need it to, and I plan on keeping it for years. I'd rather put the money into this than buy another with unknown issues.

I'd usually agree with you about spending the money. However, my clutch and synchro rings were replaced 2 years ago and are now about to go again after only 50k. From reading the forums, it seems Hyundai are notorious for weak clutches / gearboxes.

As for the fuel filter. It's on the schedule to be replaced at every service. Mine started playing a few weeks after a service so doubt it was clogged.
  • MrBrindle
    alan_d wrote: »

Hi Alan, thanks for the advice. This is my other train of thought as well. We have only owned the car for two years and it has already halved in value with mileage. Frustrating because I have owned two 207's, and done over 100k in both (current one on 130k) and neither have had issues with clutches or anything serious.

The main issue for changing it, is that it's using a lot of fuel. Heavy diesel car doing short runs every day isn't very efficient. The computer says it's avg 45mpg but I don't think it's accurate.
  • rob7475
    Is it the 1.7 diesel? If so, I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting 5k trade in for it? Mine is 2 years newer, facelifted premium model and I'm struggling to get 5k part ex.

At that age and mileage, most main dealers will send it straight to auction so there's very little value in it for them
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If its a hydraulic clutch try pumping the pedal a few times before select a gear, does this make a difference? The master or slave cylinder may be leaking internally.
  • MrBrindle
    rob7475 wrote: »
    Is it the 1.7 diesel? If so, I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting 5k trade in for it? Mine is 2 years newer, facelifted premium model and I'm struggling to get 5k part ex.

At that age and mileage, most main dealers will send it straight to auction so there's very little value in it for them

Hi Rob, yes that very model. We were offered 5k for it by a Toyota dealership (mrs fancies the hybrids there), but that was back in December, and before their mechanics checked it out etc. I'm sure they'd have knocked us down a bit more again though.
  • MrBrindle
    If its a hydraulic clutch try pumping the pedal a few times before select a gear, does this make a difference? The master or slave cylinder may be leaking internally.

We were told this by a friend, I do it to see sometimes, I think it may help, but haven't noticed a drastic change in performance.
  • rob7475
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    Hi Rob, yes that very model. We were offered 5k for it by a Toyota dealership (mrs fancies the hybrids there), but that was back in December, and before their mechanics checked it out etc. I'm sure they'd have knocked us down a bit more again though.

If you can get 5k for it, I'd be tempted to take it. I've been to two main dealers in the past week or so with mine. One offered 4700 but eventually went to 5k. The other offered between 4600 and 5400 depending on condition when the checked it out.

If you're trading in against brand new, there may be a bit more wiggle room. I was looking at cars that are 6 month old.

If your mechanic does come back with a diagnosis and estimate of cost to repair could you let me know how much it is? I'm still undecided whether to trade mine in or get it repaired.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure