Paypal vs Credit Card for Overseas Items below £100

stp101
stp101 Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 14 June 2019 at 11:51AM in Credit cards
I'm looking at purchasing some furniture from a website in Europe. I was thinking that I should use my credit card in case anything goes wrong, however I noticed that the site also accepts PayPal.

The items I'm purchasing are each below £100, so they wouldn't be covered under Section 75. Does it make more sense to pay with PayPal to make use of their buyer protection?

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I think you will get a worse exchange rate from PayPal then you would from a credit card such as tandem or clarity or a bank card such a starling

so in effect you would be paying for your PayPal buyer protection

it's it's up to you if you want buyer protection and the ccompanying worse exchange rates of PayPal or if you want to take the risk and get much better exchange rate from the cards I mentioned
  • stp101
    18cc wrote: »
    I think you will get a worse exchange rate from PayPal then you would from a credit card such as tandem or clarity or a bank card such a starling

so in effect you would be paying for your PayPal buyer protection

it's it's up to you if you want buyer protection and the ccompanying worse exchange rates of PayPal or if you want to take the risk and get much better exchange rate from the cards I mentioned

Thank you, that's a very good point. Do you know if you can ask PayPal not to perform the currency exchange such that you could still get better rates if you used a Clarity card in-conjunction with PayPal?
  • JohnMl88
    JohnMl88 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    stp101 wrote: »
    Thank you, that's a very good point. Do you know if you can ask PayPal not to perform the currency exchange such that you could still get better rates if you used a Clarity card in-conjunction with PayPal?
    Yes, you can choose
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    https://roman-reviews.com/how-disable-paypal-currency-conversion-save-money-fees/

PayPal doesn't make it easy to find, since they make money off of the poor exchange rates, but it can be done - follow the link above.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't forget you get Chargeback protection for a credit (or debit) card transaction regardless of the amount. Perhaps you need to anticipate the most likely sort of problem that might crop up and then make your decision based on that.

I don't know enough about PayPal's buyer protection policy but I'd imagine the situations it covers will include a number of consumer-protection scenarios that are also covered by the Chargeback process. I'd also guess that the Chargeback process also covers many more potential problem areas than PayPal's policy and, as others have said, you are unlikely to get as good an exchange rate with PayPal.

Personally (and regardless of my lack of PayPal knowledge) I'd use a card every time.
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    stp101 wrote: »
    I'm looking at purchasing some furniture from a website in Europe. I was thinking that I should use my credit card in case anything goes wrong, however I noticed that the site also accepts PayPal.

The items I'm purchasing are each below £100, so they wouldn't be covered under Section 75. Does it make more sense to pay with PayPal to make use of their buyer protection?

If it was me I would pay the retailer directly and I’d prefer to use a MasterCard as if the goods are faulty/damaged you don’t need to return them to get a chargeback. On Visa you do.

Don’t know enough about PayPal’s dispute process other than it’s not as encompassing as either of the main card schemes.
  • stp101
    Thank you all. Some great info in this thread. MasterCard for the win.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    I tend to choose paypal over credit cards if I'm worried that the item might not be as described or may not turn up at all. Although I've had good and bad experiences putting in claims with both.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    phillw wrote: »
    I tend to choose paypal over credit cards if I'm worried that the item might not be as described or may not turn up at all. Although I've had good and bad experiences putting in claims with both.
    Are there any time limits on PayPal buyer protection claims?
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    Are there any time limits on PayPal buyer protection claims?

Yes, you need to open a dispute within 180 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure