Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lchris21
    • By lchris21 13th Jun 19, 9:40 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lchris21
    Travel insurance, Easyjet and the Missed departure
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:40 AM
    Travel insurance, Easyjet and the Missed departure 13th Jun 19 at 9:40 AM
    Good Morning,
    As I've become a recent slave to keyboards and emails I thought I come on here and seek some pearls of wisdom?
    I'm currently 4 weeks into a claim with my travel insurance company and Easyjet regarding a missed departure flight. The result was 600 cost to get where i wanted to go.
    In short, I missed, or more accurately Easyjet insisted I missed my scheduled departure flight......even though I joined the check in queue 15-mins before the bagged check in closed!!
    To cut a long story short, due to a culmination of travel delays getting to the airport, and the refusal of the Easyjet queue manager to allow me to "jump the queue" I now find myself in a battle with my insurance providers' claims handling company to get my money back which they have rejected.
    My insurance company pass you onto their claims handling company and refuse to discuss it and the claims handling company require historical traffic information which is nigh on impossible to obtain.
    As for Easyjet they just ignore most of my emails and just try and send you round and round in circles.
    I am in the process of complaining and waiting on final decisions from 3 parties, Easyjet (ignoring me and refused to pay out), my insurance company Cedar Tree (refusing to deal with me and keep forwarding me to the claims company), and their claims handling company RightPath Claims (who have rejected my claim and asked for impossible to achieve evidence).
    Fast forward to the future when I anticipate all three have basically tried to wash their hands of me........ what are my options?
    I can complain about Easyjet when the time comes to the relevant aviation ombudsman, again a long winded email trail process?
    I can complain to the financial ombudsman about the insurance company and its claims handling company, again a long winded drawn out email process?
    Or just cut to the chase and file a MCOL against Easyjet?
    A few things which are annoying me, most importantly, I'm out of pocket to the tune of 600...........then the fact that I had met the guidelines under Easyjet's T&C's for checking in..........the absolute run around I'm experiencing with the insurance company.......... and the amount of information the claims handling company expect me to dig up on historical traffic data during my journey....!! I'm firing emails off to Highways England, Wales, local authorities, anyone and everyone it seems!!
    You'd have thought some of your insurance premium would go towards them doing some of the leg work when faced with a customer claim??
    Any input gratefully received. Thanks
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 9:47 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:47 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:47 AM
    Try the free to you escalations before going to mcol

You pay the upfront Court costs which you only can claim back off the defendant if you win
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 13th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    who are the insurance company?
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 4,502 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    The insurance T&C's seem fairly clear re delay en-route to the airport (presumably you're looking at section 3 and you can provide the required info) however given you made it to the airport in time I can't see how they could be held liable.

That means any complaint should be with Easyjet - good luck in proving the timings and making a case against them

SECTION I

MISSED DEPARTURE

What is covered

We will pay you up to the amounts shown in the schedule of benefits for reasonable additional accommodation (room only) and travel expenses if you incur costs as a result of failing to arrive in time to board the public transport on which you are booked to travel (or in the case of a cruise joining your ship at the next possible port of call) as a result of:

1. the failure of other public transport or

2. an accident to or breakdown of the vehicle in which you are travelling or

3. an accident or breakdown happening ahead of you on a public road which causes an unexpected delay to the vehicle in which you are travelling or

4. strike, industrial action or adverse weather conditions.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Jun 19, 11:24 AM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:24 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:24 AM
    Easyjet are a nightmare to deal with.
    I lost a "comfort seat" on a flight that was purchased for my husbands arthritic leg.
    We lost the seat we'd paid for when the plane was changed due to a technical fault.
    We were offered E250 compensation for agreeing to give up the (partially) empty seat for another passenger (I sat in the flight assistants seat for 45 mins to reduce my husband discomforrt/pain).

I had a written offer with the name of the captain, head crew, and time of phone call to the airport liason who authorisde the compensation and I was told the call was recorded.

Easyjet came up with every excuse under the sun e.g. it's not signed, when it was authorised and recorded.

I obtained the compensation in the end, I stuck to my guns and sent a letter before action recorded delivery, but I was confident because it was authorised and I had all the names/times/details/written offer.

But they did everything they could to squirm out of something theyd not only agreed to but also offered !!

Good Luck
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:35 AM

I obtained the compensation in the end, I stuck to my guns and sent a letter before action recorded delivery.........
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    As a general rule, don't use signed for when sending to an addressee who would be advantaged by claiming they never received the item

This is because all the slippery customer has to do to prove that the item wasn't received is to refuse it on attempted delivery

(The courts use normal delivery, as do police etc)

Just get a free certificate of posting from the post office which you keep on file
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 13th Jun 19, 12:44 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:44 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:44 PM
    You failed to allow sufficient time for your journey to the airport. Unless there is a specific, unforeseeable, event that delayed your arrival at the airport you'll get nowhere with this.
    • andrew957
    • By andrew957 13th Jun 19, 1:22 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrew957
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:22 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:22 PM
    You failed to allow sufficient time for your journey to the airport. Unless there is a specific, unforeseeable, event that delayed your arrival at the airport you'll get nowhere with this.
    Originally posted by MEM62
    What was the expected arrival time of the OP vs the OP's actual arrival time at the airport that you've drawn this conclusion from?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    As a general rule, don't use signed for when sending to an addressee who would be advantaged by claiming they never received the item

This is because all the slippery customer has to do to prove that the item wasn't received is to refuse it on attempted delivery

(The courts use normal delivery, as do police etc)

Just get a free certificate of posting from the post office which you keep on file
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thanks for your general advice.
    Personally I prefer on occasion to know for sure something has arrived (given that almost always things are going to be settled out of court).
    If it were a sole trader with a dispute I might agree but a large business like easyjet is extremely unlikely to refuse all the mail at their head office.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 2:12 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    The point is send something signed for allows the recipient to be able to prove they never received it!

So a waste of money and could be counter productive!

Slippery customers only refuse the signed for items - not everything of course
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 13th Jun 19, 3:43 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Takmon
    Flight was departing at 12:50. Guidelines on Easyjet recommend the standard 2-hrs before departure, but clearly states the check-in does not close until 40-minutes before departure (12:10pm). I allowed approx 3hrs for the 89 mile journey, a journey I have made dozens of times in well under 2hrs or less. I arrived at the queue at 11:55am so had 15-minutes to the 40min cut-off get to the automated check in station.
    Originally posted by lchris21
    So what time did you actually leave and did you check Google Maps to see what the expected traffic so you could have left earlier if it showed issues?
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 13th Jun 19, 4:22 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Takmon
    7:55am....and no, I don't check Google maps every time I make a journey..... Another one down to me?..... unforeseen traffic congestion??? Tractor in a country lane? Overly hesitant other motorists, learner drivers stalling at junctions, temporary road works lights stuck on red, buses pulling out / stopping at bust stops, That phenomenon on motorway where you grind to a halt sit there for 10 minutes, with nothing 5 miles up the road....nothing, the list is endless...!!!......like I've tried to explain to the claims handling company how can I quantify a cumulative effect of congestion when trying to negotiate dozens of roads both minor and major.......impossible
    7:55am sounds a reasonable time to leave for a 2 hour journey and i would have left at a similar time if i were in your position.

I don't check Google Maps for every journey but i do check it when i need to catch a flight or a ship/ferry at a certain time. The traffic data is very accurate because it uses the position of all android phones and other devices using google maps to track traffic movement. So is very good at diverting you before you hit unexpected congestion.
    I'm not saying you should have used it but it's a good idea too, even if you just check before you leave to see if you need to change the route you planned to go.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 13th Jun 19, 5:11 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    Takmon, they were at the airport in time but EasyJet did not allow them to check-in, making them wait.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    • 19,910 Posts
    • 50,593 Thanks
    elsien
    How to get free certificate of posting from the post ?
    Are they willing to provide this without extra cost ?
    Originally posted by adindas
    Yes. Hand over letter and say "can I have proof of posting please."
    That's it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 14th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    MEM62
    What was the expected arrival time of the OP vs the OP's actual arrival time at the airport that you've drawn this conclusion from?
    Originally posted by andrew957
    As you can see as clearly as I can, in the original post those times are not detailed and therefore it should also be apparent that this would not have been the basis for my assumption. The OP joined the check-in queue 15 minutes before the flight closed. That is the basis for my assumption.

Flight was departing at 12:50. Guidelines on Easyjet recommend the standard 2-hrs before departure, but clearly states the check-in does not close until 40-minutes before departure (12:10pm). I allowed approx 3hrs for the 89 mile journey, a journey I have made dozens of times in well under 2hrs or less. I arrived at the queue at 11:55am so had 15-minutes to the 40min cut-off get to the automated check in station. The queue of approx 12 people was being managed by an Easyjet representative. I made it clearly known to the person, that my closing time was approaching and as I was checking oversize luggage (a 32kg bike box) and I would need to immediately to proceed to the manned check-in desks as I'd done it on several occasions. They make you queue for the automated station, realize your bag is oversize then direct you to the manned desks.....This was refused/ignored, and the deadline expired by a few minutes by the time Id reached a machine. I was directed to the customer services desk who refused to help and just wanted to sell me an alternative flight even though every Easyjet flight I have ever been on they are loading the hold luggage as you board!!....there was plenty of time to facilitate this as it is a small airport Bristol, not a multi-terminal mega airport like Heathrow etc......
    My alternative flight, coincidentally with Easyjet some 4hrs later required me to check in my oversize baggage.......yep you've guessed, straight at the manned check in desk, and I eventually watched my bag trundle out on baggage handlers trailer as I walked up the steps to the plane.. !!!

maybe I'll get nowhere..........but not without a fight
    It is always an ache missing a flight. Sometimes you can push timings and get away with it and on other occasions you miss your flight.

This issue in your case is that you had a perfect storm of delayed arrival at the airport, a check-in that wasn't straightforward/routine and Customer service personnel that were not properly aware of the required check-in procedure. If you take any one of those out of the equation you would have flown. That gives you a problem with proving liability. The airline is likely to take the same view I did when I read your initial post. And with a 15-minute window to complete check-in I have some, although not too much, sympathy for their position. It is not much of a window to get checked in and only achievable if everything ran like clockwork. And budget carriers are not always known for their efficiency from a passenger viewpoint. Had you had more time at the airport it would not have been an issue.

I can understand the desire to fight your case and I wish you luck with it.
    Last edited by MEM62; 14-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter