PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting out our house

13»

Comments

• Durban
    Durban Posts: 478
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2019 at 3:56PM
    If you leave all of your white goods and they break down you are liable to have them fixed.

No you are not.

OP - yes it definitely can be done but not plain sailing. We did the same 6 years ago and it was the right thing for us to do and worked out well although we did have to evict a tenant for turning property into a drug den.

Do your research, comply with the law, be a good landlord, get rent guarantee insurance, save any profit for void periods and maintenance.
  • Durban
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    So hypothetical, what happens if the tenant stops paying rent? You're going to be significantly in the red by the sounds of it.

Rent guarantee insurance which will cover eviction costs for non payment of rent
  • Mayfair321
    Mayfair321 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your input. We know it will not be plain sailing and we know lots of people who have rented out properties so we are not going in blind! (In fact we were landlords 12 years ago) Yes the easier option would have been to sell but we would have lost our dream house. We are lucky we can afford the two mortgages if need be and if we struggle to rent it we can always sell at a later date.
    My main concerns were whether to redecorate - I have decided to just do our kitchen/diner and hallway - and if there was any way to claim expenses on having to buy new white goods. All sorted now!
    Thanks @Durban for saying it is possible ��
  • Durban - if you are going to say that the landlord isn't responsible for white goods, then you need to explain contractual and safety obligations, which is only fair.
  • Durban
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2019 at 7:37PM
    Durban - if you are going to say that the landlord isn't responsible for white goods, then you need to explain contractual and safety obligations, which is only fair.

https://www.complete-ltd.com/blog/white-goods-landlords-responsibility/

I didn't say that the landlord was not responsible for them , I said that they were not responsible for getting them fixed if they break down which is what you said
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mayfair321 wrote: »
    I may try and do some of the decorating myself but am short on time as I have lots to sort out before the house move, plus our high ceilings are putting me off doing it myself!!

Do the ceilings need repainting? Should not be damaged. If it is grubby it will need 'deep cleaning' before decorating, it may come up good enough not to need painting.

Use sugar soap (yellow luminous liquid from Home Bargains, other discounters or the decorating section of Wilko) and a large flat-pad microfibre mop. This stuff will remove all sorts of marks that other cleaning products cannot shift.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Originally Posted by lookstraightahead viewpost.gif
    If you leave all of your white goods and they break down you are liable to have them fixed.

Durban wrote: »
    No you are not.
    That categorical response is misleading. As your own link in your later post makes clear
    * the LL is not statutorially responsible
    * the LL may be contractually responsible

So the tenancy agreement should be referred to. Any responsible LL should make it contractually clear in the TA which party is responsible for white goods maintenance, repair or replacement.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mayfair321 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input. We know it will not be plain sailing and we know lots of people who have rented out properties so we are not going in blind! (In fact we were landlords 12 years ago) Yes the easier option would have been to sell but we would have lost our dream house. We are lucky we can afford the two mortgages if need be and if we struggle to rent it we can always sell at a later date.
    My main concerns were whether to redecorate - I have decided to just do our kitchen/diner and hallway - and if there was any way to claim expenses on having to buy new white goods. All sorted now!
    Thanks @Durban for saying it is possible ��

If you can afford both mortgages then Sell it outside of the chain? Clearly you're not wanting to be a LL for the money so why put yourself through all the hassle when you could just sell it and move on?
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • chunkytfg wrote: »
    If you can afford both mortgages then Sell it outside of the chain? Clearly you're not wanting to be a LL for the money so why put yourself through all the hassle when you could just sell it and move on?

I don't think the op believes it will be any hassle. The impression I get is that they believe tenants don't require the same standard accommodation as she/he would. In my opinion a landlord needs to operate a rental as a business, not just getting someone in and making do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure