Refusing home visit or adaptations?

Options
My girlfriend is moving into my current property and is due to have an ESA assessment. Does anyone know if refusing permanent home alterations would affect an ESA assessment and entitlement? I.e. does having handrails for example actually affect your entitlement? I dont particularly want permanent fixtures in my home, but dont mind things like steps up to the bath or something to help her get out of bed. Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Treguard wrote: »
    My girlfriend is moving into my current property and is due to have an ESA assessment. Does anyone know if refusing permanent home alterations would affect an ESA assessment and entitlement? I.e. does having handrails for example actually affect your entitlement? I dont particularly want permanent fixtures in my home, but dont mind things like steps up to the bath or something to help her get out of bed. Thanks
    No, it won't make any difference. Surely if she needs them to help her, it really shouldn't make any difference what they "look like".
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It shouldn't affect the assessment - they are based on what you need, not what you have. Of course, it's a lot harder to prove you need an adaption that you don't have and aren't going to get.

Also, if she does need adaptions and you're refusing to get them then I'd reconsider whether her moving in is in her best interests. It's your life and your relationship, of course.

Lastly, just checking you've done your research into how your income may affect her benefits. If you're working she may not be entitled to ESA at all.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    What would affect her ESA entitlement is your circumstances. Moving in together means you'll be a couple and if she's claiming Income Related ESA, you working will affect it.
  • ev8
    ev8 Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

No, I can't see why it would, you wouldn't need to tell them that you don't want them as you don't like the look of them.

The real thing to consider is have you really thought what it means to live with a disabled person? If she really needs them and eventually cannot get around without them, it shouldn't matter what it looks like.
  • Treguard
    Treguard Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No of course if she needed permanent adaptations then that would be fine. Its just if she gets an over zealous assessor again who wants things putting in when she really doesn't need them.
    Thankfully she receives pip as well, so we're looking at working tax credits.
    It's silly how the system is set up in such a way as to disadvantage couples and make them poorer. We couldn't hope to survive on my salary alone
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No of course if she needed permanent adaptations then that would be fine. Its just if she gets an over zealous assessor again who wants things putting in when she really doesn't need them.
    Thankfully she receives pip as well, so we're looking at working tax credits.
    It's silly how the system is set up in such a way as to disadvantage couples and make them poorer. We couldn't hope to survive on my salary alone

You really need to find out your benefit entitlements when she moves in.

From the information that you give you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Try the benefits calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk.

You cannot make a new claim for tax credits. You would have to claim Universal Credit. If your partner receives daily living PIP then you would be eligible for the carer's element despite your working.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Most sick and disabled people find they have to fight for everything - an over zealous assessor would be a rare and wonderful thing!
  • Treguard
    Treguard Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    You really need to find out your benefit entitlements when she moves in.

From the information that you give you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Try the benefits calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk.

You cannot make a new claim for tax credits. You would have to claim Universal Credit. If your partner receives daily living PIP then you would be eligible for the carer's element despite your working.

I thought the carers element was means tested?

Apparently they can't force her onto universal credit?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2019 at 11:39AM
    Options

The Carer’s element is just part of the build up of a UC entitlement. Carer’s Allowance has an earnings limit but this does not apply to the carer element of a UC.

It’s not a case of being forced onto UC. Your earlier post refers to claiming Working Tax Credits. The point made was that a new claim for WTC is not possible. Even if you or she already get WTC as a single person as soon as you become living together you must close that claim and cannot make a new couples claim.

Unless her ESA is only contribution based moving in with you will affect her entitlement. She will have to add you to her claim and she may lose entitlement.

She is not forced to claim UC but making a joint UC claim may be your only option if you are going to be eligible to receive anything.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    Options

Universal credit is a means tested benefit. As your partner claims daily living PIP then you can claim the carers element of UC. It's different to claiming carers allowance and you can claim the carer element without claiming carers allowance.

As you're going to be living together as a couple, if your partner is claiming Income Related ESA, if you work more than 24 hours per week then she won't be entitled to claim the ESA.

All areas are now a full UC and new claims for tax credits are not possible unless your partner is claiming a certain benefit.

What benefits does she currently claim exaclty and do you work? More information is needed to be able to help you further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure