PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a highrise council flat in city centre

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 June 2019 at 11:03PM
    Oops I apologise, the site is dreadful.
  • Mgman1965
    Mgman1965 Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As a general LA flats are a no-no to buy.

LA's are not seen as the best freeholders for giving value for money and on here are stories of woe from ex LA flat owner occupiers being landed with bills for tens of thousands of pound reair/renovation bills.

If the block has lifts, repair and replacement for them is eye wateringly expensive, and they are high maintenance.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh gosh, I wouldn't touch it for several reasons

1) You are likely going to need to stay there for the next five years. This is five years of your childrens childhoods that you are staying in a towerblock. By the time you move to a house with a garden, they won't be of 'playing in the garden age' for much longer. They need space now

2) What Rosieandjim posted above. It is not a standalone property, the service charges can be ridiculous

3) your hard work pays off Plus it releases the flat back into the local authority for a more needy family - everyones a winner
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 2:08PM
    If the following are accurate, in your place I would go ahead and buy a city centre flat -

1. Similar flats in the block have changed hands for 70-80k cash.
    2. Rental potential is around 650/month, with a £100/month service charge
    3. It will cost you only 33k to buy it.

Yes, there are risks but to my mind there is a proportionate potential return on investment. But of course, everyone's risk appetite is different.
    Samfre wrote: »
    My partner and I have been living in a council flat, 15 storey high, in Manchester city centre for 9 years. As we now have to children we have been working very hard to save some money for a deposite so we can buy our own house. The building has been upgraded so it is now in good standard. We have managed to save about £25000 to enable us to be able to get a mortgage but due to the location of the flat we are tempted to buy the flat using saved cash as we can put together a deposit of £10000 from family and buy a house. The building has about 10% owner occupier and the flat can be rented out for about £650 monthly with service charge of £100 per month. We are very divided about this and we could do with some words of advice. The flat value is approximately £80 000 and we have to pay about £33 000 to buy it.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    muhandis wrote: »
    ...with a £100/month service charge
    And if the lifts need replacing, or they decide to re-do all the windows, or the roof? Bill for possibly tens of thousands will turn up.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • muhandis
    Sure, there's a risk of that happening. It's all about whether you think the potential return is proportionate to the risks associated with buying a high-rise ex-council flat.

I do, but you (or the OP) may not.
    hazyjo wrote: »
    And if the lifts need replacing, or they decide to re-do all the windows, or the roof? Bill for possibly tens of thousands will turn up.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    muhandis wrote: »
    Sure, there's a risk of that happening. It's all about whether you think the potential return is proportionate to the risks associated with buying a high-rise ex-council flat.

I do, but you (or the OP) may not.
    Well, the OP may be satisfied that the cladding meets (current) requirements, but those may change - and I suspect there'll be other fire safety requirements arising out of Grenfell, whether compulsory or strongly recommended by insurers etc. Upgrading alarm systems, retrofitting sprinklers, etc could all be high potential costs. Plus whatever the effect has been on the market, even on blocks which are arguably safe.

And like I said, this all assumes that they can even get the funding in the first place.
  • muhandis
    Of course, I don't disagree with you at all. It's just that we have different assessments of the risk/reward proposition.
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Well, the OP may be satisfied that the cladding meets (current) requirements, but those may change - and I suspect there'll be other fire safety requirements arising out of Grenfell, whether compulsory or strongly recommended by insurers etc. Upgrading alarm systems, retrofitting sprinklers, etc could all be high potential costs. Plus whatever the effect has been on the market, even on blocks which are arguably safe.

And like I said, this all assumes that they can even get the funding in the first place.
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Samfre wrote: »
    That is my main worry and possibly some unexpected maintenance charges but it has recently been upgraded and the cladding is safe from fire point of view.
    Another worry is whether potential renal income will be counted for the future mortgage application.

So if you're selling it on after the 5 years then there are only a couple of lenders who will consider the ex-authority high rise over a certain floor level. You can't rent it out for the first five years so you will need to stay there while saving a deposit for a house. If you sell between 5 and 10 years most councils expect you to offer it back to them for first refusal so you'd need to check on this clause too.

Once you decide to buy a new place if you want to keep the flat and rent it out then some lenders would take rental profits into account as self-employment income, but you would need at least a year's self-assessment done. So unless you moved out of the flat and rented somewhere for a year - which makes no sense because that will cost more than just living in your place - then no, you can't use the rental income to get a bigger mortgage on a new house.

If you buy your flat cash, and then in 5 years time decide to rent it out while living elsewhere you will have to pay 20% tax (if you're a basic rate taxpayer) on the rental income, minus a few allowances such as letting agent fees, service charges etc. So your profit is down to about £350/mth which would only cover some of the cost of renting elsewhere.

Plus you'll have an additional 3% stamp duty to pay on your new home if you keep the flat to rent out. If you buy a house at £150k for example then you'll have to pay £5,000 stamp duty instead of £0 if you don't buy the flat and just buy a house when you have the savings. That's over a year of rental profits gone.

Plus what everyone else said about building repairs esp if it's only 10% owner occupied. You basically have zero say in what happens if the council is majority owner.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure