Parking in front of driveways

We specifically bought a house with a driveway because we didn't want street parking. Ever since we have lived here, people have continually parked in front of the driveway. What annoys me the most is there is a parking laybay outside the houses, so why do people continue to park in front of an open driveway, which is use frequently throughout the day. Then when you find the person, the abuse you get is unbelivable.

Comments

• tamarto
    tamarto Posts: 832 Forumite
    is a parking laybay a dropped curb?

My neighbours seem to think parking infront of my house is far preferable to parking infront of their own :rolleyes:

If their car was ever stolen and i saw it happen i'd not feel compelled to let the police know as if they cared that much surely it'd be parked in front of their own house!
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    s1clark wrote: »
    We specifically bought a house with a driveway because we didn't want street parking. Ever since we have lived here, people have continually parked in front of the driveway. What annoys me the most is there is a parking laybay outside the houses, so why do people continue to park in front of an open driveway, which is use frequently throughout the day. Then when you find the person, the abuse you get is unbelivable.

If the people parking in it are friends of a specific neighbour, could you not park infront of that neighbours drive?

Have you put a sign up politely asking people not to obstruct your drive way?

Could you not park a car in the driveway?? Or could you somehow block in the person that's parked infront of your driveway.

Someone (a friend of a neighbour) keeps parking in our private (numbered) parking space, which is fine if it's just for a few minutes to drop something off and we're not in, but often it means my OH has to street park when he gets back from work (I have no idea why this other guy can't park his precious 4x4 jeep thingy on the street like everyone else - there ARE plenty of spaces). I've told my OH next time this guy is parked in our space, he's to park directly behind this guy's car, then when they ring our doorbell to ask us to move, we'll tell them we've cracked open a bottle of wine and are over the drink-drive limit, so he'll have to wait until the morning :rotfl: .
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The only way around this, I would have thought, would be to have a solid white line painted over the drop-kerb (assuming there is one). But, unless I am mistaken, this will cost money.

Not advocating criminal damage but if someone does park over your drive.....your keys, their car door......:shhh:
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Is the parking layby time restricted?
    In our area, unless you pay the council to come and paint a white l
    l in front of your driveway, anyone can park there, and the parking people can't do anything about it.
    If they park for more than 1 hour in the residents bit, or don't have a pass, then they get ticketed, outside someones drive, they can stay there all day.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    People are actually totally blocking you in your drive? Is there a school nearby or something? Have you tried putting a sign up if you have gates?
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Found this on the net although its for Scotland not sure if it applies here

http://www.dumfriesandgalloway.police.uk/faqs/motoring/parking.htm

Someone has parked on the road outside my house and is blocking my driveway. I cannot get in or out. What can I do?

If the vehicle is causing an obstruction you should call us on xxxxxxxx and we will check whether the vehicle is stolen or not. If necessary we will send an officer.
    Please note: In normal circumstances this is not an emergency and therefore it may take some time for the officer to attend. In the meantime, try to trace the owner of the vehicle by making local enquiries with your neighbours, etc.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    daveboy wrote: »
    The only way around this, I would have thought, would be to have a solid white line painted over the drop-kerb (assuming there is one). But, unless I am mistaken, this will cost money.

Not advocating criminal damage but if someone does park over your drive.....your keys, their car door......:shhh:

Although i thanked your post-i was thanking the bit re the lines-not the bit re the keys.Mind you,I know of an office where they would "reward" people who parked in their parking spaces by gluing an A4 notice asking them not to do it,with very sticky glue,right over the drivers window..naughty..Or what if you put up a sign that say access requred for ambulance..well thats naughty too..but there is a grain of truth in it..
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    people dont look at signs and sometimes dont care either. We have massive signs on the gate and also a white line they dont care still park. often put cones out they get moved or stolen too.

hope someone does it to them sometime thats the only way some people will realise?
    :footie:
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Actually, I think it's only an offense to prevent someone leaving their property, and not entering i.e. if your car was in the driveway and they blocked it in, THAT would be illegal, but if they block your driveway when there's no car in it, then that's OK.

Ohh, I just found a bbc article that says something about new parking laws starting 31st March 2008 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7184510.stm) which states:
    Councils will also be able to penalise actions such as parking next to a dropped kerb or parking too far away from the kerb.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • s1clark
    s1clark Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    There is no resctrictions on the parking lane,but for some reason our driveway just attracts drivers to sit in front of it. Just before Christmas one my neighbours had vistors, they pulled up reversed in front of my neighbours drive them pulled back in front of mine and got out of the car, there was no other cars on the road. When we asked them to move it, they said they didn't see the drive way? These people shouldn't be driving if they don't know the rules of the rude. Again this afternoon, I came back from shopping only to have a car park across the driveway and there attitude was there was no one in so it didn't matter, all they had to do was reverse 20 yards and could have easily parked the car without blocking the driveway, but this was too much of a problem for them. I think I will try and contact the council and see if we can have a white line painted over the drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure