PIP F2F for reassessment- really scared

Sorry, I'm sure that this sort of post has been done to death already, I have a F2F tomorrow to be reassessed. I got daily living given to me at Standard rate about 18? Months ago, and sent in my forms in for reassessment In September (I can only assume they reassess with a year left on the claim?)

Anyway, I'm so scared I'll lose the help I have been getting.

In the time since I was last assessed (assessed for CFS/me and anxiety + depression) I have since also been diagnosed with OCD which I'm currently in therapy for, and I've started to suffer with chest problems. I had a particularly bad chest infection in October, which wouldn't go, and set off asthma problems and I'm still coughing up blood most days, and have been referred to the chest clinic where apparently they'll apparently start che ks to see if I have COPD (I'm quite young but the GP says that it's possible because of living with multiple chainsmokers throughout childhood and having a low birth weight, and my symptoms theres a chance) Currently the pump I'm using, isn't particularly keeping things under control, and is giving me some nasty symptoms (fast heart rate, with palpitations, shakes and headaches) which I did think were just anxiety symptoms for a while!

The OCD symptoms are something I've come to realise I've been living with since I was about 8 or 9, so I'm really worried about my ability to discuss my situation correctly.

I've also noticed that there has fairly recently been a change in PIP- that mental distress is taken into account when travelling to new places? I just wanted to clarify this, as I believe that was discounted from the last assessment.

I'm so scared, and really kicking .myself for not asking for help sooner, I'd maybe feel far less stressed about this if I'd have prepared better.

I'm gonna be a mess when I get there tomorrow. My husband is of course taking me because otherwise I'd not have made it there.

I'm just scared they'll take it away, and I really rely on it to pay for medication and to sort of bridge the gap that's left when DH needs time off of work to help me.

Comments

• I can't even string a sentence together. The OCD has been undiagnosed until September, but I've had these symptoms for years, now realise ive had since I was a child but have obviously
    Not been good at describing my situation for diagnosis to have taken so long.

And the symptoms from the inhaler are just the same as the anxiety symptoms I've had for years anyway, but they're obviously now more often because of the inhaler. For 2-3 hours, on top of normal anxiety symptoms like that, plus dizziness, tummy troubles, and pains and needles.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As per the advice above, you need to focus on what your conditions make it difficult for you to do.

If have good and bad days, you need to be honest about whether there are more good days than bad, but don't hold back in describing the problems you have. You might be tempted to minimise the problems you have; don't - paint as vivid a picture as you can of the problems you have.

Good luck - hope it goes well for you. It might help others if you post your experience of your review here.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 March 2019 at 10:19AM
    I think it's perfectly normal to feel very sacred, everyone feels exactly the same for all assessments. I know i certainly do.

You're right there was a change to following and planning a journey but in my opinion it's even harder to score points now for mental health. Unless overwhelming psychological distress is present then you won't score any points for this in descriptors that include this.

During the assessment you will have to speak for yourself, the HCP will want to know how your conditions affect you in your own words. If you have an appointee then they will be able to speak on your behalf.

If you live in the UK about a week after the assessment you can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/
  • Hi @poppy12345

sorry for butting into someone else's post, but I was wondering if you have a carer or such, can they help you with questions and add things to your answer? I've read they can but I want to make sure that this is correct before I have my upcoming home assessment. I have severe anxiety, depression and FM, I'm really not very good with people and tend to forget things or sometimes ramble, hence me asking if my Son would be able to help me.

Thanks
  • poppy12345
    Amathyst wrote: »
    Hi @poppy12345

sorry for butting into someone else's post, but I was wondering if you have a carer or such, can they help you with questions and add things to your answer? I've read they can but I want to make sure that this is correct before I have my upcoming home assessment. I have severe anxiety, depression and FM, I'm really not very good with people and tend to forget things or sometimes ramble, hence me asking if my Son would be able to help me.

Thanks
    Some will allow prompting, some won't. It really depends on the HCP on the day. They do like you to answer the questions in your own words. Unless if course you have an appointee and then it's totally different.
  • Ah ok, there's conflicting info on the net, some says your carer, friend etc. can help and then others say they can't, someone pointed out they had information from one assessment company that said you could get help but when they asked about it at the assessment they were told otherwise.

I'm going to be a bit stuffed then because I'm really not very good at talking to people, I'm bound to forget half of the things that I need or want to say which is worrying me a tad :/
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Take a copy of the form with you as a reminder - and write down anything that you need/want to say.

A useful guide on how to be at the assessment here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Documents/Advice%20(public)/pip-helpsheet-assessment.pdf
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My advice is record the assessment, covertly, what they don't know doesn't hurt and you have a VERBATIM copy of the assessment, just remember to set it up and recording before you get into the building. If you fail you then have the recording to go on with the MandaTORY ReCONsideration.
    The HP's don't know everything about every illness and disability, mine she had never heard of but told me after the assessment I would get an award.

What I do is copy the appointment letter, keeping the original safe at home. If you have copied the filled in PIP form you sent them plus all the info read and reread it until you know it as best you can.
    Think about any reply before you answer they expect an instant response and they may try and prompt a reply by saying do you A or B? Think and don't be forced to give an instant reply.

As soon as you get home email the DWP, Subject Access Request) saying you had an assessment at (assessment centre) in (city/town) at (Time) and you require the following information

PIP Review Filenote – PA1!

PIP Consultation report form – PA4

PIP Payment Decision letter

Statement of Entitlement letter

DPA – computer printouts of everything on your system to do with my PIP claim.

I did just two hours after my assessment and got the award letter after 10 days and the subject access request stuff 11 days later.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • poppy12345
    wild666 wrote: »
    My advice is record the assessment, covertly,
    Sorry but that's possibly the worst advice i've seen. Recording an assessment without getting permission to do so could lead to your assessment being stopped, your file being returned to DWP and a refusal of that benefit.

Always get permission before recording and use the appropriate recording devices.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's possibly the worst advice i've seen. Recording an assessment without getting permission to do so could lead to your assessment being stopped, your file being returned to DWP and a refusal of that benefit.

Always get permission before recording and use the appropriate recording devices.
    What they don't see they cannot stop I have recorded every assessment I have had and they haven't known or if they did they were not bothered.
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport