Clicking Noises from floorboards or gas pipes

Hi all,

I really need some advices for fixing the annoying clicking nosies from floorboards. Actually, I am not entirely sure is it from floorboards or the gas pipes underneath.

I have hired a joiner to tighten the floorboards of first floor before the new carpets were fitted. I noticed that clicking noises came from one area of landing after the tightening works were done. The noises happen when central heating is on. This didn't happen before the tightening. I asked the joiner and the joiner said he couldn't tightening the floorboard of that area further as there are may pipes underneath.

Now I realised that the noises are probably caused by the floorboards are too tight in that area. When central heating is on, pipes expand and makes noises due to the floorboard is too tight. This is just my gut feeling, and I could be totally wrong. It is really frustrating that you trying to fix one thing but other problems occur.

Should I instruct a joiner or a heating engineer to fix this problem? I also concern that my carpets need to be uplifted or even damaged.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I really need some advices for fixing the annoying clicking nosies from floorboards. Actually, I am not entirely sure is it from floorboards or the gas pipes underneath.

I have hired a joiner to tighten the floorboards of first floor before the new carpets were fitted. I noticed that clicking noises came from one area of landing after the tightening works were done. The noises happen when central heating is on. This didn't happen before the tightening. I asked the joiner and the joiner said he couldn't tightening the floorboard of that area further as there are may pipes underneath.

Now I realised that the noises are probably caused by the floorboards are too tight in that area. When central heating is on, pipes expand and makes noises due to the floorboard is too tight. This is just my gut feeling, and I could be totally wrong. It is really frustrating that you trying to fix one thing but other problems occur.

Should I instruct a joiner or a heating engineer to fix this problem? I also concern that my carpets need to be uplifted or even damaged.

We had a similar issue/noise. It was the hot water pipes which even clanged when we ran the hot water.

We lifted the floor boards and lagged all the pipes to stop them bashing together when they heated up.

Problem solved.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    We had a similar issue/noise. It was the hot water pipes which even clanged when we ran the hot water.

We lifted the floor boards and lagged all the pipes to stop them bashing together when they heated up.

Problem solved.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you DIY it? If yes, could you please elaborate your methods?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Forumite
    The pipes are most probably rubbing against the woodwork somewhere as they expand. Although they shouldn't be touching the floorboards at all, if the sound only started after the boards were tightened up, it could be one of them that's binding on the pipe.

It's a problem that can probably only be solved by taking a board or two up and looking for the pinch point. This means taking the carpet up too, so it could be quite expensive if you are not used to fitting carpets and DIY. Getting well-fixed floorboards up isn't an easy DIY anyway, unless they are screwed down. Mine always were at pipe access points when I had suspended floors.

If it were me, I'd probably just live with the noise for now and treat it as part of the house's character. It's a very common thing.
  • dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    As Dave says it's most likely pipe rubbing on wood, I had a similar problem in our bathroom, it was bloody annoying, so when I was redecorating the bathroom and taking off all the old tiles I took apart all the boxing in and found the bit of wood where pipe was rubbing and adjusted that piece of wood by making the cut slightly larger as pipe was a little tight in the cut, problem solved,.

Obviously you have re-carpeted so probably best waiting until you are re flooring before solving the problem, that's if you can stand the ticking?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Happens in my house with the heating on when it's very cold, never really given it a second thought and as above just consider it the character of the house but now I'll always be thinking about it.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I find it useful for knowing the time without putting the light on to see the clock.

My heating comes on at 7, so once the ticking starts I know it's nearly time to get up.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    I don't think I've lived in a house where the cemtral heating pipes didn't make a few little sounds as they expanded and contracted. Is it really a problem? I find it reassuring to know everything's working.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Forumite
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you DIY it? If yes, could you please elaborate your methods?

Always DIY in our house!

I took the floorboards up to look at the pipework as I wanted to fit a new radiator. The kitchen floor was being replaced anyway so I just ripped it up.

I then just used pipe lagging from screwfix (about £40 for a huge pack) and put it over all the pipes that were close together and all the hot water ones.

We have had no clanking noises since so seems to have worked.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Just thinking that will turning off the boiler during night sleep time a good idea?
    Will turn off boiler regularly cause any problems?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Forumite
    Just thinking that will turning off the boiler during night sleep time a good idea?
    Will turn off boiler regularly cause any problems?
    Most people's boilers are set to be off during their hours of sleep, unless the weather is very cold. It will make no difference to the boiler either way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure