Abolish BBC licence petition

Options

Comments

• Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers. Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers. Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!

Do you believe these so called detector thats really detect homes without a TV license? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The OP was beaten to it:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5946515

...and that was posted on the correct board.
    That's a different petition, sponsored by AgeUK.

No harm in voting for both :), once each of course.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    That's a different petition, sponsored by AgeUK.

No harm in voting for both :), once each of course.
    I know it's a different petition.
    I have signed that one.
    But I'm a bit particular about what e-petitions I sign, especially the wording.
    I wouldn't sign the OP's petition because I think it's poorly worded and poorly thought out.
    The quality of BBC programmes do not reflect the price of the TV license. It is far too expensive for the majority of people and should be abolished.
    My choice.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers.
    There are no detector vans in routine use in the UK (or anywhere else, AFAIK).
    Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!

Is that the kind of thing that the BBC would want to associate itself with, though?
  • Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Because it means that there are 3 TV channels and a host of radio stations that are not carrying crappy, annoying adverts.

Should this not be a choice of the people though? You may find the service wonderful as do many others but some (1 in 10 in some reports) do not use any of the BBC services, including radio, Education, Recipes etc.) so are being charged for a service we do not want or use, this equates to something like 2 million licenses or more being forced on people for no benefit.

The other way to look at this is as follows, what if Yahoo.com felt like they provided excellent services, apps and websites and started charging people all over the country for it at say £10 a month (less than a tv licence). To use a device that has access to the internet you needed a Yahoo.com licence even if you have never used that website of any of thier affiliates, would you find this fair?

I highly suspect the answer is no and such a proposition would have no chance of getting started, but because the BBC have been doing it for years and have been able to force people with a TV or Media device to pay they still continue to.
  • Astar1809
    Astar1809 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    How should the BBC be funded if not via the license fee?

Either through a subscription model where people can pay for the services they use or view, or a traditional advertising model.

It does seem unfair that it is a legal requirement to pay the fee even if you do not use the services.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I am right in thinking that if 1 person in the house is 75 then no licence is needed. If this is a parent living with a married son/daughter then there could be several people who benefit from the free licence. Perhaps it should have been restricted to the youngest in the house is 75
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    How should the BBC be funded if not via the license fee?

Either advertising or encryption needing a decoder that you pay for, either a one off, or subscription, something like those freeview boxes everyone needed to get freeview on an old fashioned analogue TV.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd be quite happy if the BBC was funded by advertising or subscription. I wouldn't have to watch many adverts in the approximately 3-4 hours a week of BBC TV I do watch.

This works out costing me roughly £1/hour for the privilege of watching the Beeb........

If they wanted to save money how about canning the 40 local radio stations they have - I can honestly say I've never listened to BBC local radio in my life and I'd bet I'm not alone in that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure