Santas challenge 2017

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Apologies again , seem to be missing in action....
    It’s been a madhouse, between running mum around, bailey been back and forth to the vets with his ears... apparently he has an allergy, he’s. Had steroid jabs, antibiotic jabs, ear cleaning, were now on 2day ear solutions, with a view to hi. Hsv8bg surgery....

Running miss hoodie about bless her...

Christmas planning. The tree went up 1st weekend do december, have a silver and purple theme.

All cards been wrapped, - those needing posting have gone 2day.
    Presents,. All wrapped, the postal ones gone way, delivered some presents

Weather... we’ve had over 12 in snow, been a ngtmsre been housebound from Friday, went out 2day took an hr for mr and miss hoodie to clear the snow off the car, the schools have been closed yesterday and 2day not sure when / if there reopdn8ng 2mor.

It’s prague on Friday... think it will be warmer over there, can’t wait xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Ooooooo im Prague on Sunday mum2one.......can't wait:)......more excited than last year

Chanie I'm going to pinch ur brown paper wrapping paper idea for next year, really like the sound of that idea especially as some of the presents i have next year are just one 'big' present that would look better out of a gift bag than in plus I have a ball of string that I could put to good use that is rattling about a drawer:T

CCL also have a sales list prepared for B@@ts. I did well online on Christmas Eve when items went 50% plus DD likes to do on boxing day before cold cut and chips:j:j
    Everyone sounds as if they are doing well with their Christmas prep and everything is going well. Still waiting for my tree to go up, DD comes home Friday and the tree is going up then.
    Have been getting extra food bits in while doing normal shopping so I don't have to do a lot when I come back.
    Was away last weekend, everything clear of snow outside my house but only 10 minutes away snow and car accidents happening so I pinched a lift with friends.
    I can't believe how quick December is speeding by:eek:
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 December 2017 at 9:24PM

Chanie I'm going to pinch ur brown paper wrapping paper idea for next year, really like the sound of that idea especially as some of the presents i have next year are just one 'big' present that would look better out of a gift bag than in plus I have a ball of string that I could put to good use that is rattling about a drawer:T

I bought some alphabet stamps From tiger and stamp names and messages on the brown paper
  • chanie
    Last minute rush to finish the Christmas shopping, which is a bit stressful. Although all of the big stuff has been bought, I still have lots of little bits and pieces to get. I’m not working tomorrow so that I can pop to town. I did buy a couple of bits at lunchtime today though.

This is the first year in recent memory where I feel unprepared, even though I have been planning all year. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) much of what I have seen in shops is !!!! and I don’t want to waste my money on stuff that will end up in landfill/charity shop. I do try to get stuff that people genuinely want or have a use for. In saying that, I have seen quite a few bits in the Xmas aisles recently.

2) MIL asked us to pick up a gift for the children. She has struggled to get the items we suggested we so she asked us to get them for her. This is good in so far as we get to choose, but less than a weeks notice isn’t ideal!

3) OH is interrupting my flow. Basically, some of the children in the family have asked for vouchers. OH also wants to get them ‘Something to open’. I suggested small stuff like sweets, but OH keeps on suggesting items which are £10+. I have pointed out to him that if does this, it will mean that some DNs will have spent more on them than others and this isn’t fair, particularly when we will be opening the gifts together. The trouble is that OH doesn’t think this far ahead and will end up wa during around aimlessly on Xmas eve trying to buy extra presents for the children who have had less spent on them. I’ll be annoyed that OH would have wiped out any savings I’ve made on presents.

One of the gifts I bought today, I’m pretty pleased with. Its a gift for someone I didn’t account for throughout the year and suddenly thought I’d better get them something. This person has a disability which affects their arms and legs and they struggle with pretty much most tasks. I try not to buy them anything that they will find too difficult to use, but was struggling with ideas. Today, I bought them a blingy cup with a lid and straw which I’ve filled with sweets and chocolates. I’m going to wrap it in cellophane with some nice ribbon.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2017 at 3:45PM
    Back from Prague, didn't get home until 2am as flight was delayed due to bad fog. Did more exploring than last year, more gingerbread and baubles brought back and DD brought a couple of special presents back with her. Had a brilliant time and very christmassy. Feel so tired now esp when we got back we were wide awake so sorted the bags and dirty washing out and didn't go to bed until after 3am.
    Went to the morris#ns at 9am to stock the cats up for over Christmas, was starting to get really busy so was glad to get back home.
    The tree is up but our 6 month old kitten is like a tinsel monster. She had pulled most of the tinsel off while we were away, the cat sitter kept retrieving it from the stairs, the kitten didn't quite manage to get any fully upstairs. Me and DD have repaired the tree but it doesn't look the same, u can sort of see parts where the kitten has face planted the tree!!!!!!!
    chanie a brilliant present for a person with a disability. I work in all areas of inclusion. Frustrating about the lack of time from it MIL but tbh it's the sort of thing my DM would do aswell!!!!

I've picked up some great sale bargains of make up items next year-urb#n decay for my Dsis in law. Relied on DD for extra info and using her student discount we ended up saving over £23. Aiming for good savings again next year, I think there are some nice things out there, it's just finding them, and in stock.

Chanie I know OH means well but when u have been working towards ur own plan and have made savings the last thing u want to happen is for it to go pear shaped. That would really stress me out.it would be awful for you both if you had to go out Christmas Eve for extra presents

Plan is to just get the house clean and in a presentable, trying to be tidy state now. Plus relax so that I'm not over tired for Christmas. Got a couple of bits to deliver to DM but DD is going to do that which makes life easier for me.

I hope everyone is doing well with their Christmas prep and we are nearly there. We have propped each other up and kept going with present ideas, it will all come together I'm sure.......and hope(remembered to take the gammon out of the freezer-a good start for me!!!)
  • chanie
    happy kitties I’m pleased you had a nice time in Prague with DD, even if you were delayed by fog - how annoying. But at least you arrived back home safely.
    It’s great that you’ve made progress with next year. I’ve bought one small stocking filler for DD, but I have lots of ideas, which I’ve written down.

I’ve pretty much sorted out the gifts now. I did an order with amazon today. I’m rather annoyed with myself as I had to choose the express delivery for £6 so that it would arrive before Xmas. I begrudge paying postage fees, but I couldn’t order anything until payday.
    I also popped into town today to finish off the gifts I needed to buy. It wasn’t too busy when I arrived, mid morning, but was getting busy by the time I left. I managed to satisfactorily sort out the ‘Something to open’ gifts - I bought those money tins you have to cut open from the pound shop. I wrapped them in cellophane with a £1 coin and a couple of chocolate coins. OH is happy with this and means I’ve spent £2 on each one, as opposed to £10.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Happykitties... glad you had a gd time, soz u had a delay, we got delayed by an hr this morning, waiting to have the plane de-icer.

It was a great break, we went out for trip in classic car, and took trip to the outlet centre... even outlet it was expensive.... got miss hoodie some phone cases, I had a blanket wrap, lots of gingerbread and little tree decs.

Wish was still out there... but reality bites...

All deliveies arrived, just did a quick radley order this morning. Energency present (for me....) just got mums and miss hoodies to wrap, shopping on Saturday fir few little stocking bits...xx
  • Chanie will def be pinching ur 'something to open' gift idea:T. I have so many younger ones to buy for.I try to do lots of little things in a gift bag. going to cut back next year bec of having so many to buy for, the money tin idea will be brilliant to pop in a gift bag:). Boo to the express delivery, I hate paying for any delivery:(

Mum2one they also had to de ice the plane with us, but as we were running late anyway we just went with the flow. Saw the classic cars but with 2 wheelchairs and me going mad on a scooter (nearly ran bestie over when upping the speed to max for a test drive:D:eek:!!) they wouldn't have been practical but we saw quite a few, they looked lovely:). The weather i found was strange in Prague. We land with snow, there was a snow shower one day but def found it warmer than last year.

Gammon all cooked and relatives starting to arrive/visit tomorrow so def feel like Christmas has started:j:xmassign:
  • chanie
    Merry Christmas for tomorrow everyone. Hopefully all your hard work throughout the year is paying off with a well organised Xmas.

A few epic fails from me
    1) forgot to pick up marshmallows and print off labels for snowman soup.
    2) the tv we bought for DS has a wall bracket included, so I didn’t need to buy one (can’t take it back, as we opened it)
    3) bought a duplicate present (the famous alcohol baubles). I can’t find the receipt for them though.
    4) DD accidentally smashed her new Santa plate on the floor, before she even opened it.

I can laugh at my misfortune.......
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa didn’t wake anyone up. Have a great day xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport