Lady K's savings diary

Comments

• Ladykernow
    Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Hi Lady K!

Nice to see you diary if you don't mind I will subscribe.

We're in fairly similar situations in that we're a similar age and have a similar financial situation. I too have been trying to save and I've managed £600 since I started my diary. I'm probably aiming for a similar amount as I really want to travel to Aisa for a few weeks and will need at least that.

Not at all. :) It's here to track my progression. Have you got one on here too?

Ooo that's a great idea. :) I hope you reach your target.
  • Ladykernow wrote: »
    Not at all. :) It's here to track my progression. Have you got one on here too?

Ooo that's a great idea. :) I hope you reach your target.

I do have a diary on here yes. I'm not sure I started it in the right place really but if you go to my profile you'll find it. I've found it pretty helpful at being accountable for my spending. Thank you I hope you do too, we can definitely do this and we will be so happy when we do!
  • Oh I also wanted to say that it's brilliant you're doin a course with the OU and I'm really impressed that you're fitting that in.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi I think I have found the link. I will try to add a link for you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5499868
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • I started a mini blog to get my writing, it's still being worked at, but if anyone is interested I would love for you to take a look.

https://lilmissbudget.wordpress.com/

Spent £39 on petrol yesterday. My phone bill over christmas rocketed so I need to pay that this month. :( Went over on my allowance!
  • Potted £15 last night into my savings, which makes it up to 200/1500. I'm hoping to have a little bit more saved by the end of this month. I'll have to see what is left over.

I've got everything ready for pasta tonight, going to add some other foods in there to bulk it up and use it up. Also have to finish my essay tonight!

My no spending on unnecessary things is going well. I've been taking food to work, drinking the free coffee at work and not having one when I come home. (Hopefully will help me to sleep better).

I am feeling a bit down again that we don't go on fancy holidays like some people. But then I think, i'm not a massive traveller and it's not something I ever did as a child. My partner appears to be the same. We've never really talked about planning a holiday away, only back to our hometown, probably because it's cheaper!

I've nearly finished my 2nd book for the year too. I'm going to slowly work through the pile I have from last year that I have to read.

Happy saving!

Lady K
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OMG Ladykernow you are doing so well. Taking food to work, saving money not enough people do that you know. I too keep seeing adverts of people on glamorous holidays on the tv - remember it's just marketing someone is being paid a lot of money to make us 'want' something we do not need and something that is not permanent.

You are doing just great you are smart. It does hurt I know I feel it too sometimes but you are investing your money in your future. Holidays can come later when you have built strong foundations. Other people may not have solid foundations and it will all come tumbling down for them in the form of debt as they have been seduced by advertising and purchased things through credit cards which they cannot pay off.

Please continue to stay positive. It will work out you will see.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • OMG Ladykernow you are doing so well. Taking food to work, saving money not enough people do that you know. I too keep seeing adverts of people on glamorous holidays on the tv - remember it's just marketing someone is being paid a lot of money to make us 'want' something we do not need and something that is not permanent.

You are doing just great you are smart. It does hurt I know I feel it too sometimes but you are investing your money in your future. Holidays can come later when you have built strong foundations. Other people may not have solid foundations and it will all come tumbling down for them in the form of debt as they have been seduced by advertising and purchased things through credit cards which they cannot pay off.

Please continue to stay positive. It will work out you will see.

Really? It doesn't feel like it at times! I'm sure when I check my balance at the end of the year I will think completely differently.

You are right, you see something on an advert, or in a shop and you think that's going to make you happy. But it's only a short term goal!

Thank you so so much for your kind words! xxx
  • Ladykernow
    Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 19 January 2017 at 9:08PM
    Today is day 19 of the no spend. Yesterday I was craving crisps to buy at lunch, but I decided to stick with my sandwich, an orange and leftover christmas cake! My work colleagues found it hilarious that I was still eating christmas cake for lunch. I was trying to use what we had left in the house.

The no spend month has been hard at times, but then I look at my balance and realise that conscious spending has really made a difference to my bank balance. I don't think my partner even realises what i'm doing! But we are having a challenge of how much we can save. Mine being £1500, his £2000.

We did our shop this evening, everything has to last as long as it can. We also got 2 free samples of toilet rolls! :) (Smiley face needed, I love free samples!)

A productive note, sent my essay last night. Plus, I did the hoovering, dishes, took bins out, recycling, all before 7am this morning. It made it so much easier when we came home this evening.

My partner also has found a new hobby. Woodwork. He collected some free pallets and has made a work bench for himself! He calls himself a wood womble! :D

Lady K
  • Good luck on your saving journey & thank you for the link to that money website. I'd never heard of it and it looks quite interesting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback