How far back can you claim

Options
Hi put in a claim and they said they had no record of my account as it only went back to 2007 and my account was older than that.

Paul.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can complain about a policy as far back as records exist. If your account was closed in 2007, it's not unreasonable that the bank has deleted your records in line with the data protection act (superseded by GDPR) which banks generally interpret as older than 6 years is the time to take action. If you have your own records, provide the evidence and they will look at it. The only other chance is to send a SAR to them and see if they dig out anything that the PPI team couldn't see/access. If they have nothing and you have nothing, your complaint is over.
  • thompson_2009
    Options
    Okay thanks. I dont understand. Is PPI acually illegal and if so surely it's up to the banks to refund people the money they owe. Not the person to do all to research and letter writing and so on.

I have seen other advertising saying reclaim bank charges but i thought you could no longer reclaim them back.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, it's not illegal.

But if you believe you were mis sold, you can make a complaint.
  • thompson_2009
    Options
    okay thanks so how far can i go back with a PPI claim and i am right you cannot claim bank charges back any more?.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    okay thanks so how far can i go back with a PPI claim and i am right you cannot claim bank charges back any more?.

You can make a complaint as far back as records exist, as I said in the first reply, just go on the bank website in most cases. As above if neither of you have any records left it will be a simple rejection. What would be your complaint reasons so long after the sale?

No you can't claim back old bank charges since the 2009 supreme court case
  • thompson_2009
    Options
    thank you :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I dont understand. Is PPI acually illegal and if so surely it's up to the banks to refund people the money they owe. Not the person to do all to research and letter writing and so on.
    PPI is simply an insurance policy.
    It's not illegal to have PPI any more than it would be illegal to have car insurance, PPI is still sold today mostly with mortgages.

The PPI scandal was one of widespread mis-selling to those who often didn't need (or want) it.

In your case, there is no evidence that you ever had such insurance, so you can hardly complain about it nor expect a refund.

As for bank charges, these are only (sometimes) refunded to those caught in a cycle of charges causing them genuine (and current) financial hardship. For the majority of people, a refund of bank charges is therefore not an option.
  • piper81
    piper81 Posts: 8 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi,

I received a refund for PPI on my loan, it was from 2003-2008.

I’ve found Credit Card Statements from 1998 - 2008 with PPI so I’ve put in a claim for those as I didnt know it was optonal at the time. Recently had a phone call asking if I can remember the details of how it was sold, but I can’t remember, so I’m not sure if it’ll be successful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure