Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 24th May 08, 3:19 PM
    • 7,058Posts
    • 57,284Thanks
    rainmac
    Anyone Into Cross Stitching?
    • 24th May 08, 3:19 PM
    Anyone Into Cross Stitching? 24th May 08 at 3:19 PM
    Hi, I've been a stitcher now for about 7/8 years and love it. I tend to stitch small designs as I can be a bit impatient with larger pieces as they can take so long to complete. I mainly stitch cards and smallish pictures to frame. Recently done a few coasters and really pleased with how they have turned out.

My latest is a card for my friend's wedding (a Lizzie Kate design)...

I wondered if anyone has any money saving hints and tips and/or would like to share pics of their stitched projects. I am really into making my own presents and would love some cross stitch present ideas - I've done cards, coasters, framed pictures, fabric ornaments for xmas tree, baby toys with aida pieces attached. Can't think of anything else.

I have 2 small boys and time to stitch is really restricted to evenings when they are tucked up in bed. I subscribe to Cross Stitcher and World of Cross Stitching magazines (got both as birthday/xmas pressies last year). I buy lots of my threads (DMC and Anchor) on ebay as I've found this to be much cheaper than to buy from a shop. I also buy charts via ebay - I really like some American designers (e.g. Lizzie Kate, Bent Creek, Heart in Hand, The Trilogy...) and found the cheapest way to get such charts is via US ebay sellers.

Think that's enough for now

Look forward to hearing from all fellow stitchers

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 16-12-2008 at 5:30 PM.
Page 2
    • poppett
    • By poppett 25th May 08, 10:20 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    Here is a few of mine. The coffee cups still needs a border round it and the Betty Boop still needs some of her leg doing. I am having trouble finding the Madeira thread to finish it...don't want to change to DMC incase you notice the difference.

2 savers club. No.90. Aim 500.
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 25th May 08, 10:28 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    bunbun2
    I re-started my 'wedding' cross stitch. I have done most of the big bits so it is a colour here a colour there. I did about an hour and have done about 1 cm square in total still at least i have made a start so thanks to everyone on here for getting me motivated
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 26th May 08, 7:35 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    I re-started my 'wedding' cross stitch. I have done most of the big bits so it is a colour here a colour there. I did about an hour and have done about 1 cm square in total still at least i have made a start so thanks to everyone on here for getting me motivated
    Originally posted by bunbun2
    I know what you mean, that's why I don't really do bigger pictures, I'm too impatient!!!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 26th May 08, 7:38 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Poppett, absolutely love the coffee cups! They are gorgeous, you must let us see a picture when finished.

I tend to stick to stitching one project at a time from start to finish and then move onto the next one. How do you decide where to stop one for a while and start another? Do you stop as you fancy a change?
    • poppett
    • By poppett 26th May 08, 9:33 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    Poppett, absolutely love the coffee cups! They are gorgeous, you must let us see a picture when finished.

I tend to stick to stitching one project at a time from start to finish and then move onto the next one. How do you decide where to stop one for a while and start another? Do you stop as you fancy a change?
    Originally posted by rainmac

Hi Rainmac,

I don't usually start one and go onto something else but the Betty Boop is one I started ages ago and I ran out of the Madeira thread to finish it. I am having great difficulty in finding Madira stockists now. I should look on ebay to see if I can get it really.

The coffee cups was the one I was working on before this horse racing chart came through. I really wanted to get on with this as there is a story behind it. Last year my father-in-law was 60 and at the time we couldn't afford to get him anything special, so I'm hoping to get this finished for his birthday this year (July.....tall order!). So I will get round to completing the coffee cups one, maybe take that one into work and stitch a bit during break times.
    • ladydriva
    • By ladydriva 27th May 08, 9:14 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ladydriva
    hiyas, i used to do cross stitch at school,,im now 36, wouldnt mind giving it another go,, when im on nights at work etc ,, dont really no where to start tho.. what aida? dmc, madeira??
    sorry to sound so vague,
    id love to do the card things, that way id kill 2 birds with 1 stone so as to speak!!

thanks
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 27th May 08, 9:35 PM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,560 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    I've done cross stitch for years.I do a lot of antique samplers and I do love doing cats.I've made cushions,bags ect.I have so many pieces of finished work I know I'll never use them for anything.
    My favourite project which I have framed on my wall,is a Dutch sampler I made about 15 years ago,it took me ages to do but was worth it.
    I think there should be a warning on cross stitch kits ect,it's just so addictive.
    • poppett
    • By poppett 27th May 08, 9:49 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    hiyas, i used to do cross stitch at school,,im now 36, wouldnt mind giving it another go,, when im on nights at work etc ,, dont really no where to start tho.. what aida? dmc, madeira??
    sorry to sound so vague,
    id love to do the card things, that way id kill 2 birds with 1 stone so as to speak!!

thanks
    Originally posted by ladydriva

I would suggest you bought a cross stitch mag with a mini free kit on to begin with again. Then you'll soon find yourself searching the craft shops! I wouldn't go for madeira threads now as I am finding their stockists few and far between. I have made myself a large collection of madeira threads over the years that I have been sewing but now replacing them is getting harder and harder. I have resorted to starting again with DMC.
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 28th May 08, 7:37 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    sorry to sound so vague,

thanks
    Originally posted by ladydriva
    eBay is a good place to pick up cheapie kits and materials. I agree about getting a mag with a free kit, these can often be turned into cards as they tend to be small. Happy stitching!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 28th May 08, 7:38 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    I've done cross stitch for years.I do a lot of antique samplers and I do love doing cats.I've made cushions,bags ect.I have so many pieces of finished work I know I'll never use them for anything.
    My favourite project which I have framed on my wall,is a Dutch sampler I made about 15 years ago,it took me ages to do but was worth it.
    I think there should be a warning on cross stitch kits ect,it's just so addictive.
    Originally posted by MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Completely agree about cross stitch being addictive!!! Card making is an addictive craft as well so I combined the two to satisfy both needs!

Where do you get your kits/materials mrslittlemouse?
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 28th May 08, 8:54 AM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,560 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Completely agree about cross stitch being addictive!!! Card making is an addictive craft as well so I combined the two to satisfy both needs!

Where do you get your kits/materials mrslittlemouse?
    I buy threads,fabrics ect from a local craft shop also John Lewis.I use Readicut and often use the adverts in the crosstitching mags.I do find you can get some good bargains from these mag adverts and they've always been good quality.I've never had any problems with mail order.I must admit I do tend to stockpile as I see a kit or some fabric or threads and just have to have them.
    I'm just about to start some needlepoint with a kit I bought over 20 years ago and never even opened till two days ago,so I hope everything is ok otherwise I'm going to have to make some adjustments as I'll never get it changed now.
    • shelly
    • By shelly 30th May 08, 1:41 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    I love cross stitching. I find it quite relaxing.
    Only last night did I tip the house upside down looking for my stitching things. Can't find them anywhere (we moved here a year ago and think they ended up in the loft) I bugged hubby all evening to go up there for me!

I tend to buy the kits as they come with everything you need. Does it work out much cheaper to buy or download a chart then buy the threads and material seperately?
    Is everything you need listed on the charts like it is when you buy a kit?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 30th May 08, 2:03 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    I love cross stitching. I find it quite relaxing.
    Only last night did I tip the house upside down looking for my stitching things. Can't find them anywhere (we moved here a year ago and think they ended up in the loft) I bugged hubby all evening to go up there for me!

I tend to buy the kits as they come with everything you need. Does it work out much cheaper to buy or download a chart then buy the threads and material seperately?
    Is everything you need listed on the charts like it is when you buy a kit?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me
    Originally posted by shelly
    Hi Shelly, so did your OH get up in the loft last night or not? Would love to know!!!

I buy a mixture of charts and kits - probably mostly charts (buy most of these via ebay). American designers tend to produce charts rather than kits so you have to buy seperate threads and fabric. Charts do list what threads you need - usually DMC and Anchor (and sometimes Madiera) and usually recommends a fabric to use. I tend to buy larger pieces of fabric (currently got some 32 count evenweave, 14 and 16 count aida) and cut off the size I need for what I am going to stitch. Not sure if this is cost saving :confused: . What it does mean is that if I buy a chart I have so many threads and bits of fabric that I can usually start stitching straight away if I want to. Does that help? What kind of designs do you like Shelly?
    • shelly
    • By shelly 30th May 08, 2:32 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    Hi Shelly, so did your OH get up in the loft last night or not? Would love to know!!!

I buy a mixture of charts and kits - probably mostly charts (buy most of these via ebay). American designers tend to produce charts rather than kits so you have to buy seperate threads and fabric. Charts do list what threads you need - usually DMC and Anchor (and sometimes Madiera) and usually recommends a fabric to use. I tend to buy larger pieces of fabric (currently got some 32 count evenweave, 14 and 16 count aida) and cut off the size I need for what I am going to stitch. Not sure if this is cost saving :confused: . What it does mean is that if I buy a chart I have so many threads and bits of fabric that I can usually start stitching straight away if I want to. Does that help? What kind of designs do you like Shelly?

No he didn't go up into the loft! I will wear him down over the weekend tho, I'll tell him that I will either pay someone to go into the loft for me or I will have to buy all my things from scratch. Kits, frame, the lot

You say a chart will recommend what fabric to buy, so do I just get what it recommends but bigger? (I have frame to attach it to once I find my stuff)

What kind of designs do I like? Well if I had the patience I'd love to do something like mrsmcawber's ladies in old fashioned flowing dresses, but I tend to favour samplers that have lots of little seperate things to stitch so that I can actually see the progress I am making.
    I have a couple of kits from Argos, a Winnie the Pooh I think and my mum bought a Country Companions animal one but she nearly fainted when she saw how much work goes into even quite small kits so gave it to me

I can't really choose exactly what kind of designs I like as its so varied. I just go for something that catches my eye and that I know I have the patience to do. Tend to go for smaller projects.
    Last edited by shelly; 30-05-2008 at 2:36 PM.
    Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 30th May 08, 2:47 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    No he didn't go up into the loft! I will wear him down over the weekend tho, I'll tell him that I will either pay someone to go into the loft for me or I will have to buy all my things from scratch. Kits, frame, the lot

You say a chart will recommend what fabric to buy, so do I just get what it recommends but bigger? (I have frame to attach it to once I find my stuff)

What kind of designs do I like? Well if I had the patience I'd love to do something like mrsmcawber's ladies in old fashioned flowing dresses, but I tend to favour samplers that have lots of little seperate things to stitch so that I can actually see the progress I am making.
    I have a couple of kits from Argos, a Winnie the Pooh I think and my mum bought a Country Companions animal one but she nearly fainted when she saw how much work goes into even quite small kits so gave it to me

I can't really choose exactly what kind of designs I like as its so varied. I just go for something that catches my eye and that I know I have the patience to do. Tend to go for smaller projects.
    I don't think my OH would have gone into the loft for me either but would shoot up there as soon as I started to talk about buying new things!

I have bought fabric at half metre/metre lengths (www.sewandso.co.uk are quite good as they stock so many fabrics but you can get cheaper if you look about) and cut it but if you are going to buy a piece for a specific project you would need to add any room around the design you need for border, framing etc. I tend to use more fabric than I need and any bits cut off can be used for small designs for cards etc. I try not to waste any!
    • shelly
    • By shelly 30th May 08, 6:55 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    Well, got hubby to go into loft after threatening going on a spending spree to replace the lost stuff

I can get cracking now
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there Shelly

I always buy my fabric at least 6" bigger on both measurements...It sounds like a lot of waste but I mount and frame my own and that gives you enough to pull around the back of the frame.
    The celtic ladies i have done grow really quickly and are lovely to do...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • shelly
    • By shelly 30th May 08, 11:10 PM
    • 6,323 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    shelly
    Hi there Shelly

I always buy my fabric at least 6" bigger on both measurements...It sounds like a lot of waste but I mount and frame my own and that gives you enough to pull around the back of the frame.
    The celtic ladies i have done grow really quickly and are lovely to do...
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER

Hi and thanks for the advice.

If I come across a cheap enough lady I'll buy her and see how I get on.
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 31st May 08, 8:15 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Hi and thanks for the advice.

If I come across a cheap enough lady I'll buy her and see how I get on.
    Good luck, let us know how you get on and post a pic when you finish!!!
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 4th Jun 08, 12:05 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Wanted to show this coaster as I think it is so cute, not sure if I can part with it (supposed to be a present!). Maybe I've got time to make another...?

The chart was in World of Cross Stitching magazine a few months ago. I used 16 count aida so my finished design is smaller than the one in the magazine but I like it and love the colours
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

655Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter