Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bronk80
    • By Bronk80 21st Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bronk80
    Nursery fees change - do I still need to give notice period?
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    Nursery fees change - do I still need to give notice period? 21st Aug 19 at 3:18 PM
    My son's nursery have changed their policy on accepting 30hrs free child care, resulting in what would have been a 300 increase in my monthly bill. They made this change with less than 5 weeks notice. I have been left with no option but to move him to a different setting but obviously needed some time to look at options and make arrangements. His current nursery is now expecting for me to give them a full 8 weeks notice period for leaving.
    What are my rights here? As the T&Cs have been changed should the notice period be waived?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 21st Aug 19, 3:22 PM
    • 7,435 Posts
    • 10,832 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:22 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:22 PM
    Youd think it reasonable that the notice they give you should be the same notice you need to give them. Ie if they can give you 5 weeks notice for policy changes you should be able to give them 5 weeks notice for cancellation. Otherwise they could increase the price to 1million a session and keep you locked in to it for a few extra weeks (excluding any kind of what is considered reasonable in a contract)
    Don't be angry!
    • Bronk80
    • By Bronk80 21st Aug 19, 3:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bronk80
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:27 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:27 PM
    So far I've said they should have given me 12 weeks notice if they wanted 8 weeks notice as obviously needed time to look into and arrange alternative childcare before giving up his place.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 21st Aug 19, 4:15 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 21st Aug 19, 4:15 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 4:15 PM
    Legally they can't increase their fees without your agreement, since you're both bound by a contract. Make it clear that you don't accept the increase.

They can either agree and keep the existing fees, or give you notice that they will stop providing the service to you with whatever notice period is in their T&Cs.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 21st Aug 19, 4:27 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 6,005 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 21st Aug 19, 4:27 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 4:27 PM
    What does the contract with them say about notice periods? I assume it's eight weeks on either side? If so, point out to them that you don't accept the increase and that you will pay for eight weeks' childcare at the current rate.

I can't see how you can demand 12 weeks' notice, unless the contract says it's 12 weeks on their side and eight on yours.
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 21st Aug 19, 8:47 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 21st Aug 19, 8:47 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 8:47 PM
    They aren't really increasing fees- just changing the methods of payment that are available.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 21st Aug 19, 9:00 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 6,005 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 21st Aug 19, 9:00 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 9:00 PM
    They aren't really increasing fees- just changing the methods of payment that are available.
    Originally posted by keithdc
    That's true. The effect to OP is an increase but you're right.

I think the upshot is the same. OP needs to give whatever notice s/he is obliged to give under the contract. If that takes the service into the new payment territory, perhaps that means OP has to find the extra for that short period.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 22nd Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 2,453 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 22nd Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 7:02 PM
    That's true. The effect to OP is an increase but you're right.

I think the upshot is the same. OP needs to give whatever notice s/he is obliged to give under the contract. If that takes the service into the new payment territory, perhaps that means OP has to find the extra for that short period.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

No company is allowed to unilaterally change the terms of their contract with the customer, and then enforce those new terms if the customer doesn't agree.

The nursery should either let the customer go with no penalty, or allow the customer to continue on the previous terms until the contract comes to a natural end.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,385Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter