Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 123mat123
    • By 123mat123 21st Aug 19, 12:56 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 13Thanks
    123mat123
    moving Stakehold pension to SIPP
    • 21st Aug 19, 12:56 PM
    moving Stakehold pension to SIPP 21st Aug 19 at 12:56 PM
    I have an L&G stakeholder pension of about 155k

It is pretty static in that I no longer contribute to it

I plan to retire in maybe 3 years at age 60

I was happy to just let it trundle along.

L&G are now transfering all their Stakeholder pensions to another company (ReAssure) so wanted to know what people's opinions are
    on transferring pensions to a SIPP.

I currently have HL SIPP, and would be comfortable with investing in Vanguard's mixed equity/bond products.

I appreciate HL are not the cheapest.

It is not clear the costs of using L&G as a platform, I think 1%

Are there any less obvious considerations I should take into account. I've had no problems with L&G, and Reassure will apparently provide same service/charges.

I can't explain my motivation to want to move to a SIPP (transparency ?, half hosting cost ?), so I would welcome any comments....
Page 1
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 21st Aug 19, 1:06 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:06 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:06 PM
    Firstly the change from L&G to Reassure should not be a reason to move the stakeholder as it should bring no disadvantage for you .
    So a reason to move could be for lower charges, so you need to get clarity on L&G charges so you can compare properly. ( you might also at the same time look at cheaper SIPP provider than HL)
    Another reason could be a wider range of investments ( but it seems you have a SIPP and only use one or two Vanguard funds)
    With some pensions a larger combined fund can get you a bigger discount
    Probably the biggest reason to move a pension is so when you retire and start taking funds from it , that it has all the facilities for drawdown etc as some older pensions do not .
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 21st Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    SonOf
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    I currently have HL SIPP, and would be comfortable with investing in Vanguard's mixed equity/bond products.
    That puts you at the more expensive end of things. Some may consider it a big difference. Others less so.
    Modern SHP around 0.5%
    Modern PPP around 0.3%
    HL plus VLS is 0.67%

It is not clear the costs of using L&G as a platform, I think 1%
    L&G do not operate a platform. They did have a share in a platform but sold that some years back to Aegon.

I've had no problems with L&G, and Reassure will apparently provide same service/charges.
    You wont notice any difference. This should not be a driver on your decision to move.
    • 123mat123
    • By 123mat123 21st Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    123mat123
    • 21st Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    That puts you at the more expensive end of things. Some may consider it a big difference. Others less so.
    Modern SHP around 0.5%
    Modern PPP around 0.3%
    HL plus VLS is 0.67%

L&G do not operate a platform. They did have a share in a platform but sold that some years back to Aegon.

You wont notice any difference. This should not be a driver on your decision to move.
    Originally posted by SonOf
    Yes, maybe I should focus on cost - there would be a considerable saving in moving existing HL SIPP and the L&G Stakeholder to a new SIPP on Interactive Investor (capped at 120 / year)
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 21st Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    • 21st Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    You might want to think about extra costs for a SIPP when you retire and start to take money from the pension .
    The SIPPs with the cheapest charges tend to charge extra for drawdown, withdrawals etc .
    https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/
    • midlandsimon
    • By midlandsimon 22nd Aug 19, 2:33 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    midlandsimon
    • 22nd Aug 19, 2:33 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 2:33 PM
    As mentioned above, all depends on the value of your plan. If a smaller pot, find a platform SIPP which has a % fee basis, anything larger then you should be shopping for a fixed fee provider. Plenty of good platforms out there which will give you far greater access and control than your current stakeholder arrangement.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 22nd Aug 19, 3:25 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 22nd Aug 19, 3:25 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 3:25 PM
    If a smaller pot, find a platform SIPP which has a % fee basis, anything larger then you should be shopping for a fixed fee provider.
    Generally this is true but can be exceptions .
    Some % fee SIPPS have a low cap on the maximum charge if you are invested in shares/Investment trusts/ETF's rather than the more usual funds. Even if you are 50% funds and 50% traded items then it can still change the fees calculation.
    Also in drawdown most charge extra, but two % fee ones do not ( HL & Fidelity) so again this can affect the fees calculation.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 22nd Aug 19, 10:04 PM
    • 5,676 Posts
    • 4,953 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:04 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:04 PM
    there would be a considerable saving in moving existing HL SIPP and the L&G Stakeholder to a new SIPP on Interactive Investor (capped at 120 / year)
    Originally posted by 123mat123
    Remember the II SIPP fee of 120 pa is in addition to the II account fee of at least 120 pa so a minimum of 240 pa and possibly more depending on your trade activity.

I agree it's worth looking at capping you platform fee by holding ETFs with Fidelity at 45 pa plus 10 trade costs. You could get a very similar asset allocation to VLS by holding a 2 fund portfolio with a global equity ETF and a bond ETF. However it's worth remembering that ETFs have no FSCS protection and SIPPs only have 85k FSCS protection.

Alex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,465Posts Today

6,219Users online

Martin's Twitter