Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 21st Aug 19, 10:32 AM
    • 231Posts
    • 118Thanks
    ndf9876
    Incident in cinema - thoughts welcome
    • 21st Aug 19, 10:32 AM
    Incident in cinema - thoughts welcome 21st Aug 19 at 10:32 AM
    Morning all

I'm after some advice, thoughts and opinions here on a situation that occurred last night. I'll dive straight into the details :

My wife and I went to see a movie at a small cinema chain that serves alcohol - not just a few beers in a fridge, but the sort that has a proper, well-stocked bar. The showing was at 19:50 so not a late-night screening. The movie has an 18 rating so no children were present; the screen was fairly busy as the movie has only been on general release for around a week.

Anyway, pretty much everyone we could see in the cinema was drinking alcohol. No worries, had I not driven I probably would have enjoyed a beer. Several people though were clearly in a state I would judge to be quite intoxicated - including a chap sat in front of my wife, who managed (I have no idea how) to spill a glass of wine behind him, which gopped all over her shoes.

She remonstrated with the chap at the time (bear in mind we are in a cinema and the movie is about 90 minutes in) who was rude and dismissive, and who promptly left the screen, returning some 5 minutes later with more wine. No further spillage or incidents occurred, again to emphasise we were in a movie theatre full of folks wanting to watch what they'd paid to come and see, so loud voices and arguments were at the back of my mind.

My wife was very upset by this (her shoes now ruined by red wine stains) and the drinker was nowhere to be seen in the foyer. We did see him outside the building; I heard him joking to his mate about it so thought I would try and talk to him about what happened.

It was clear he didn't care, he found it hilarious and the only way this was going to end was in a brawl - which would solve nothing and certainly wouldn't magically return my wife's shoes back to their pre-red wine stained condition.

We left, pretty cheesed off, and went home.

So right now, my feeling is :

- The cinema ought not to have served a man who was clearly inebriated (I have seen enough wasted people in my 40 years to know what someone looks and acts like when they are smashed).
    - The cinema has absolutely no control over a person's rudeness and actions; to expect anything else is in my opinion a little unreasonable.
    - I probably ought to have left the screen at the time and ask for him to be ejected; I didn't because I didn't want the anticipated aggro (again, lots of folks enjoying movie with drinks, and I live in the town the cinema is located in and daresay some of the patrons would recognise me).
    - The police would never care about something like this I believe, unless of course it came to violence \ assault which as I said, I was very keen to avoid.

I am minded to complain to the cinema and ask them for at least some sort of gesture towards the ruined shoes, on the grounds that they served a man who was clearly intoxicated. I know which row and seat he was sat in, if that makes any difference.

So - do you think I am being unreasonable in expecting the cinema to accept some responsibility for serving this chap?

Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask them for a financial contribution towards the cost of new shoes (they are ruined as far as I can tell) ?

Or do I need to just suck it up and accept that this was never going to end well?
Page 2
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 22nd Aug 19, 3:29 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Honeylife
    The moment to bring this to the attention of management has gone. But if you do sent a complaint now it can be raised in a staff meeting. Young bar staff find it difficult to actual say "sorry cant serve you any more you have had enough"

I went to the Barbican in London with my daughter aged 13 (at the time) for a concert. As I entered the hall to take my seat I stumbled and the drink in a cup in my hand spilled on the punter sitting at the end of the aisle seat. Just on the shoulder of his shirt. As he leapt out of his seat swearing very loudly, I instantly said "its only water", as I didn't want him to think it was red wine or some noxious alcohol that would he would smell of all night. He continued to swear at me as I was reaching into my bag for tissues. His companion was trying to get him to calm down pointing to my daughter remonstrating with him that there was a child present and repeating what I said - it was only water. He then called the usher over (she was already on her way over) and she was also trying to get him to lower his voice and restrain his language. We then had to get past him to get to our seats and for the first half he glared at us. I was very distressed as I had repeatedly apologised. At the interval the observant usher came over and asked me if I would like be moved, and she moved us to the other side of the auditorium. I was dreadfully upset by the whole incident. Collecting our coats at the end we met his companion and she apologised to me for his crude response especially in front of a child.

I absolutely dread to think what it would have been like if that drink was actually alcohol. I never wore those shoes again as they clearly were unsuitable for highly polished floors.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 22nd Aug 19, 3:50 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    ndf9876
    The moment to bring this to the attention of management has gone. But if you do sent a complaint now it can be raised in a staff meeting. Young bar staff find it difficult to actual say "sorry cant serve you any more you have had enough"

I went to the Barbican in London with my daughter aged 13 (at the time) for a concert. As I entered the hall to take my seat I stumbled and the drink in a cup in my hand spilled on the punter sitting at the end of the aisle seat. Just on the shoulder of his shirt. As he leapt out of his seat swearing very loudly, I instantly said "its only water", as I didn't want him to think it was red wine or some noxious alcohol that would he would smell of all night. He continued to swear at me as I was reaching into my bag for tissues. His companion was trying to get him to calm down pointing to my daughter remonstrating with him that there was a child present and repeating what I said - it was only water. He then called the usher over (she was already on her way over) and she was also trying to get him to lower his voice and restrain his language. We then had to get past him to get to our seats and for the first half he glared at us. I was very distressed as I had repeatedly apologised. At the interval the observant usher came over and asked me if I would like be moved, and she moved us to the other side of the auditorium. I was dreadfully upset by the whole incident. Collecting our coats at the end we met his companion and she apologised to me for his crude response especially in front of a child.

I absolutely dread to think what it would have been like if that drink was actually alcohol. I never wore those shoes again as they clearly were unsuitable for highly polished floors.
    Originally posted by Honeylife

As far as your first point goes - that is indeed the best outcome and pretty much why we decided to let them know anyway.

In my case, had this (a) just been water, and (b) been followed by an apology - as in your case - neither of us would have cared. Even if they guy had been apologetic, and acknowledged, it would have been fine.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,818Users online

Martin's Twitter