Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 27th Mar 19, 4:47 PM
    • 4,700Posts
    • 5,173Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Choosing wool - help
    • 27th Mar 19, 4:47 PM
    Choosing wool - help 27th Mar 19 at 4:47 PM
    I have found a pattern I want to knit (beginner!) and it tells me to use the wool in the link https://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-ultra-alpaca, its very expensive so I was wondering if someone might be able to give me an idea what type of wool to replace it with - Aran? Double knit? Chunky?

Would I need to use a different needle size do you think?

this is the pattern if it helps http://www.berroco.com/sites/default/files/downloads/patterns/avocet_b.pdf

Grateful for any advice

Sam
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 27th Mar 19, 5:38 PM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 27th Mar 19, 5:38 PM
    • 27th Mar 19, 5:38 PM
    5mm needles usually equate to aran weight yarn. If you go for pure wool, then you'll probably need the same amount of wool as per the pattern - but note that the skeins are 100gm, whereas most balls of aran wool in the UK are 50gm. If you go for a lighter wool/synthetic mix, then you'll probably need slightly less as the yardage per 100gms will be more than the skeins.

Cheapest would be a 100% acrylic yarn - but that makes my hands sweat. A wool mix is far nicer to work with.

Do a tension square using 5mm needles - the pattern instructions will tell you what size x number of stitches/rows should come out as. If your tension square is too big, then try again with 4.5mm needles.

If it comes out too small, then your tension is too tight - loosen up or you'll end up with cramp!
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 27-03-2019 at 5:50 PM.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 27th Mar 19, 6:17 PM
    • 4,700 Posts
    • 5,173 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 27th Mar 19, 6:17 PM
    • 27th Mar 19, 6:17 PM
    You are such a star! Thank you so much for your extensive advice, I've noticed that Aldi have Aran wool in from Sunday which is 400g a ball and 25% wool so that might be suitable, love the idea of doing a tension square!
    Last edited by sammyjammy; 27-03-2019 at 7:20 PM. Reason: wrong shop!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 27th Mar 19, 8:10 PM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 27th Mar 19, 8:10 PM
    • 27th Mar 19, 8:10 PM
    You are such a star! Thank you so much for your extensive advice, I've noticed that Aldi have Aran wool in from Sunday which is 400g a ball and 25% wool so that might be suitable, love the idea of doing a tension square!
    Originally posted by sammyjammy

Yes, that'll be fine for a first go at a garment. When you say that you are a beginner, have you knitted anything before? If not, then I'd start with a simple scarf rather than launch straight into a jacket (although the pattern does look nice and easy). Hint: Buy a crochet hook when you buy your knitting needles - much easier to pick up any dropped stitches with a hook !
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 28th Mar 19, 8:06 AM
    • 4,700 Posts
    • 5,173 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 28th Mar 19, 8:06 AM
    • 28th Mar 19, 8:06 AM
    I have knitted a couple of cardigans before, just have to stick to fairly basic patterns and am very poor at unpicking and getting it back on the needle if I make a mistake (or more likely get carried away and knit too many rows)

Love the crochet hook idea!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

604Posts Today

6,448Users online

Martin's Twitter