Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,608Posts
    • 34,184Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 448
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 25th Jul 19, 5:50 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    pattypan4
    The poor woman had only herself, she had to do it all and she rolled from one place to another, obviously no help where she lived. She was a beautiful younger woman who comfort ate, then I had a phone call and missed the second half, I hope she managed to get to that special doctor.

No idea about food but I know I am going to up my water intake, got to keep the urine flowing, otherwise it is all coming out via skin. If we don`t cool then we get ill and worse. UTIs will be increasing

protibix and blueberries with hm hemp milk been had, has to be a veg medley with broadbeans later, probably a bit of grated cheese on top. At least the heat takes the appetite away. Crikey I feel the sun already, must prep my cave
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 25th Jul 19, 7:41 AM
    • 67,084 Posts
    • 393,337 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My effort to reduce food intake is being thwarted by sheer piggery and using the excuse of having to use things up

Oh well, I'm belly aware at least and not in denial.

Today I plan to have these at least:
    Cucumber/egg sandwiches
    Coronation chicken sandwiches
    Sausage rolls
    Ice cream
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 25th Jul 19, 9:53 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Thanks caronic, am not a big tomato eater, not good for my arthritis, so if I do get loads - which I hope - I will copy that so I have to use freezer foods !!! Took sausage shepherds pie portion out for today and will get asparagus out too. May made some cold asparagus style soup to go in fridge for lunches.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 25th Jul 19, 9:54 AM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 14,948 Thanks
    Farway
    A sticky night & had trouble sleeping, but no thunder at least

All set for records breaking temperature, but we are usually a few degrees lower the hottest areas, like Heathrow. Glad I went out yesterday so no need to leave the shady house today, still hot though

Last night's YS C & O flan salad was perfect for this weather, so it's rinse & repeat with the flan LO tonight

Porridge breakfast
    Then got on with watering front & back, including topping up the bird bath, poor little beggars will be gasping

Lunch will be usual cheese & salad sarnie
    Dinner already mentioned, rinse & repeat from yeateday
    • caronc
    • By caronc 25th Jul 19, 12:23 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 34,184 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

Hot here today 30Cish and windy. The wind is warm so it's not getting any relief.
    I was up early doors and thought I'd just crack on before it got too hot. I've swept through, cleaned the bathroom, weeded the front garden and put away a grocery order. I intend to have guilt-free laze for the rest of the afternoon.
    Lunch is cheese salad and dinner tonight will involve LO chicken & roast veg. However, I'm not sure if I'll be CFO or not as my younger son is coming up after work. It will depend when he gets finished whether he'll eat en route or come here.

• Farway
    • By Farway 25th Jul 19, 2:50 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 14,948 Thanks
    Farway
    Melting here, minimum of cooking for dinner luckily. just Actifry some frozen chips

I've more French beans ready, so a cooked meal will be a must tomorrow I think, has to be tomorrow because I'm out on Saturday with Grandchildren
    • caronc
    • By caronc 25th Jul 19, 6:16 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 34,184 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Still hot here and looks as though it's going to stay in the mid 20Cs overnight. My "hot" water bottle is alreading the fridge chilling for bedtime. Garden, greenhouse and my fiery feet have been watered!
    After my usual feet up for an hour in my relatively cool bedroom, I headed to the shady bit at the bottom of my garden with my book, a big glass of cold barley water and a choc ice and I more or less stayed there for the rest of the afternoon . I noticed I've been a bit crampy overnight and earlier today so have upped my salt intake a tad which seems to have helped. I managed to avoid the temptation to munch crisps and added a very small pinch to my soft drinks.

My son isn't arriving until very late so I'm CFO tonight which suits me as I cba cookinng and there's really only enough LOs for one without either making something else or adding loads to them. Dinner is LO chicken, LO roast veg and either a couple of nuke steamed new spuds or a slice of SD.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 25th Jul 19, 8:11 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    Brambling
    The only good thing about work is the air conditioning . I had to go to the post office today which is luckily only just down the road from the office but it was a bit of a shock walking out of the office lunchtime. We were on a conference call this morning from someone in Dubai and their temperature was 48 we had a heavy shower just as I got home tonight only last about five minutes but didn't break the heat, I had to laugh at the BMW driver's face when he got caught with his roof down . Does that make me petty

I've just finished ironing definitely not the best idea I've ever had but I'm going away tomorrow, maybe I should have left it until I got there I'm currently sitting melting with a cold drink I'm driving down to North Devon tomorrow with my sister I'm hoping it won't be too hot and we don't sit too long the A303, especially as it's first weekend of the school holidays . I've packed my walking shoes and the vodka as she doesn't do gin

It's been too hot to eat much today lunch was a small soft blue cheese salad and dinner another salad this time with a slice of salmon and broccoli quiche from the freezer and heated in the air fryer.

If there's WiFi at the cottage I'll pop in during the week and wave
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 26th Jul 19, 10:53 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    pattypan4
    my riverford order came today, 200g of basil, I couldn`t grow any this year. I just finished cleaning up having made 9 portions of pesto, without the parmesan and with half the amount of olive oil. I froze 8 portions in 2 trays which make big ice cubes. I only need to add olive oil and parmesan, so that is 9 easy meals ahead

I have had a bit of muesli soaked all night in hm hemp milk, later 2 boiled aggs and some sd bread. The bread is yummy, reminds me so much of the thinly sliced black bread we used to get in the old days from the market. Rye starter makes it taste more sour

Right now I am roasting various veg in the remoska and have prepped some broad beans. That will do and I am de-frosting a rhubarb crumble. I very much like this crumble topping, very buttery. I`ll be out after lunch if it cools down a bit. Or tomorrow or sunday after the allotment. I have lots of blackcurrants still to pick, 125g for £2.25, that makes it a hugely valuable crop.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Jul 19, 11:03 AM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 34,184 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Hope you have a great holiday Brambling

It was well after midnight when my son finally got here as there was an accident on the motorway. I had headed to my bed with my book & a cuppa intending to stay awake but needless to say I was fast asleep when he arrived!
    Still warm but a much better temperature than yesterday. It's very overcast but fingers crossed it will stay dry. Picked loads of pea pods earlier, lots have been munched already.
    Fishy tea of some description tonight as we are heading to the fishmongers later and will see what they have.

I think we are heading out for lunch tomorrow then it will be back to CFO for a few days on Sunday before "round 2" of the kids home starts again on Thursday.

• Farway
    • By Farway 26th Jul 19, 1:09 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 14,948 Thanks
    Farway
    Still warm but cooler, only 75 at 5.30 this morning Sleepless night with the heat, splash of rain but did nothing to ease it

L's mooch this morning. YS mac cheese + 20p pack of sliced silver-side, meals sorted. And much needed salad cream & mayo topped up

Lunch was some the silver side in a sarnie, I made a fresh loaf last night

I'm picking some French beans for dinner, I'll use some of the silver side, and have with boiled new spuds, carrots etc. Not ideal this weather but it's use up day, hate to leave the French beans to get tough

I'm driving down to North Devon tomorrow with my sister I'm hoping it won't be too hot and we don't sit too long the A303, especially as it's first weekend of the school holidays . I've packed my walking shoes and the vodka as she doesn't do gin
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Enjoy the hols I hate the 303 since the "improvements" around Stonehenge, one reason we no longer visit Stourhead. The awful thing is there is not an easy detour is there once committed to A303

I'm going other direction, down the Dockyard, again, with grandchildren. They have annual Family Ticket now so I expect that may become regular visit. They love the activity bits in there
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Jul 19, 3:52 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 34,184 Thanks
    caronc
    Looking forward to a lovely fishy dinner later - scallops, squid, langoustines, haddock & swordfish cooked simply and served with new spuds & wilted garden greens. Even better I'm not cooking

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Jul 19, 3:59 PM
    • 67,084 Posts
    • 393,337 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Today I've had 2 sausage rolls, finished off the lemon meringue ice cream and made/eaten two rounds of egg/cucumber sandwiches

I popped into Sainsbobs earlier (in, wander, out with nothing). I was disappointed to see their bags of 5 doughnuts, usual price 65p but sometimes on special offer at 50p, have now gone up to 75p!! A single doughnut used to be 30p and is now 35p (not that I ever bought a single doughnut because it doesn't make sense to buy one at 30p when you could have FIVE for 50-65p.

I spotted a bit of a bargain I couldn't bring myself to buy/enjoy. It was a pretty nice looking cheesecake, reduced from an eye-watering £3.75 down to 99p. Trouble is, I couldn't justify it to myself to buy/scoff it. 1900 calories in the whole thing.

This is the beastie. Sainsbury's Berry Smoothie Cheesecake with a Blueberry and Raspberry Swirl, Summer Edition 545g
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&productId=1280848
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 26th Jul 19, 5:22 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I avoid the A303, would rather take a longer slower route for me to see dd, its a manic fast road, particularly going in the Andover/London direction. A very dangerous road

So I had a lovely scone with hm blackcurrant jam and clotted cream, eating cream makes me feel very full. I am still freezer-loading, parsley and blackcurrants from the allotment. No weeding there any more, too far for a round trip, I am waiting until october to pick the late apples and that will be it.

I should order fish but cba with all that packing into portions right now, maybe in a couple of weeks
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 26th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    Brambling
    I avoid the A303, would rather take a longer slower route for me to see dd, its a manic fast road, particularly going in the Andover/London direction. A very dangerous road
    Originally posted by pattypan4
    It was neither fast or dangerous today with long queues in both directions, we spent 20 minutes looking at Stonehenge we were discussing whether to go home the longer route via Dorset I think the extra miles will save time in the end even with the restrictions on the m27. It took us about 5 hours to get down here not helped by driving past the end of the road and nowhere to turn around.

The cottage overlooks the River Exe, we walked alone a stretch before dinner and caught a flash of a kingfisher . The tea room next door was serving what looked to be amazing cream teas, we decided it would be rude not to try one this week, I'll update you . The owner of the cottage, the next door b&b and tea room is originally from the town next to where I live and he played cricket at our local club, it's a small world

Definitely cooler today especially after last nights heavy thunderstorm and we're told it hasn't been so hot down here I'm looking forward to sleeping better

We skipped lunch other than a comfort break at Lidl and a cinnamon bun, dinner was a healthier tuna salad with new potatoes followed by strawberries, Greek yogurt and coconut mini meringues
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Jul 19, 9:50 AM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 34,184 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Your holiday location sounds idyllic Brambling
    Fishy dinner last night was amazing, we feasted like kings for what it would cost for a takeaway and I've frozen some uncooked haddock, swordfish & squid.
    "Surf & turf" tonight as there are langoustine tails to be used up and I'll make a stock from the shells for the freezer. The steaks are defrosting and we'll have them with langoustines cooked in garlic butter, flat mushrooms,veg from the garden & new spuds .

The fishmonger suggested marinating the swordfish in lemon, a little brown sugar and s&p for 30 mins before griddling which we tried and that's one I'll be doing again.
    Back to "old clothes & porridge" tomorrow

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 27th Jul 19, 11:23 AM
    • 67,084 Posts
    • 393,337 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you're near the River Exe, I went into these once.
    https://exeter.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/our-attractions/underground-passages/

Not very long/exciting, but "different" if you've not been.

At one point there's a "gap in the wall" where you can peek out at the shoes/passing feet of shoppers in the main road.

They have a link there to their PDF leaflet: https://exeter.gov.uk/media/4651/ecc043-underground-passages-leaflet_low-res.pdf

Pubs: I've been to this one too, nice riverside pub on the outskirts of Exeter.

You get to it by going through an industrial estate, then out the back of it and you go over a "wonky bridge/should we really be going this way" - then along the other side of the river into their car park.

http://www.doublelocks.com/ Postcode EX2 6LT
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 27-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 27th Jul 19, 11:31 AM
    • 67,084 Posts
    • 393,337 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I didn't want/need anything from L1dl's weekend offers this week, so no need to dash out.

I'd slept badly and been up since 3am in any case, so didn't fancy it.

I had a breakfast of toast/beans/scrambled eggs about 7am.

About 9ish I went out to £land and got sweeties and fizzy pop.
    Then I went into 4ldi for eggs - and also bought jelly babies and three cheesecakes and some fizzy pop.

Once home I ate half the bag of jelly babies, promptly fell asleep - and woke up really groggy about noon I now don't fancy the choccies or the cheesecakes, but I'm sure that'll pass.

EDIT: I'm defrosting the 3rd quarter of the pie I bought 2-3 weeks ago, just one more portion after this. I'm currently cooking up the final 3 spuds from the 2.5Kg I bought 4-6 weeks ago. I'll make the mash and pop it in the fridge. Later I'll cook the pie and serve it with mash and either gravy or beans.

EDIT 2: Had pie/mash/beans, followed by a cheesecake.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 27-07-2019 at 4:14 PM.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 27th Jul 19, 4:30 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 36,623 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    CFO yesterday and today....yesterday I had banana on toast for breakfast then HT appeared and asked could we leave running until today....no matter as I was going to work. For lunch I had a half portion of salmon and broccoli crustless quiche that I made myself (Pinch of Nom book) and then for dinner I had spag bol with the bolognese (made by me) being liberated from the freezer.

Today was peanut butter on toast for my breakfast then we both went running. For lunch I had cous cous, fruit and yogurt (fruit and yogurt on it's own doesn't fill me up enough as I have to have lunch at 11am due to work and then I don't get home until 4:30. Dinner was a lamb leg steak from the freezer with a couple of hash browns and some coleslaw.

The HT has cereal most mornings and on my work days I leave him a packed lunch in the fridge. His dinner yesterday was noodles and the somewhat optimistically named "Chicken Griddlers" but they're revolting. He likes them although they don't resemble any kind of chicken that I know of. Tonight he had a pulled pork wrap and french fries. The first six or so Saturday nights that he had a pulled pork wrap I had the same but I don't fancy it any more. It's still one of his favourite meals though so I feed him one portion and freeze three portions for the following three Saturdays.

Have a lovely holiday Brambling
    • Farway
    • By Farway 27th Jul 19, 5:32 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 14,948 Thanks
    Farway
    Back from busy day with the grandchildren down the dockyard, they loved it and plenty more left to do.

It was neither fast or dangerous today with long queues in both directions, we spent 20 minutes looking at Stonehenge we were discussing whether to go home the longer route via Dorset I think the extra miles will save time in the end even with the restrictions on the m27.

The tea room next door was serving what looked to be amazing cream teas, we decided it would be rude not to try one this week, I'll update you .
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I think the southern Dorset route would be better as well, but no where is good in summer. We queued ages on a village bin day, narrow road, bin lorry doing it's job, one house at a time.

Oh had a cream tea in the Dockyard today. It was super and just as I'd hoped I'm in Cream Tea training for my Plymouth trip in September where I'm determined, weather permitting, to scoff one in the cafe on the Hoe. Preferably in the warm & wasp free sunshine

For lunch is was a ham + cheese baguette, no where near as nice as the CT but what could be?

Dinner, will be the YS Mac cheese RM, just needs pinging later
    Last edited by Farway; 27-07-2019 at 5:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

523Posts Today

6,022Users online

Martin's Twitter