Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,611Posts
    • 34,202Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 445
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 19, 6:17 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 34,202 Thanks
    caronc

caronc the syrup loaf is a hit with the HT.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Glad it got the thumbs up from the HT

Good evening everyone,

Housework got done, papers have been signed and savoury mince is simmering away. It's a real use up of lots lurking veg - onions, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms, red pepper and butternut squash with around 1/2lb of mince in there somewhere. I'll add the last portion of the bought green beans once it's nearly ready. Not the most summery of dishes but the weather is far from summery here today. If the rain had let up a bit I'd of popped to the veg patch and picked a courgette to add. I'll have some with nuke steamed new potatoes and needless to say I'm expecting LOs.
    Lunch was a corned beef & salad sandwich with the last of a punnet of grapes and a couple of satsumas. I had sliced tomato and a peach with my breakfast toast so I'm romping ahead with my F&V intake today.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jul 19, 7:52 PM
    • 67,091 Posts
    • 393,383 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I decided to bite the bullet and make a chilli tomorrow with the L1dl 30% off sticker 750g pack of mixed pork/beef mince I picked up 2-3 weeks ago.

I got the meat out of the freezer, stacked up some tins that can be chucked in, got the last 3 onions out and put those on the worktop, got the SC out ... so that's all ready for tomorrow morning and I'll not forget as it's all sitting out ready to be done

It's been as dry as a bone here for weeks now.

Just 2 minutes ago I heard an odd noise outside, I got up quietly and peeked outside, expecting to see some bird biting at something hard.... the noise was like a squirrel eating nuts, or a bird pecking at a snail - it turned out it was rain spots! Didn't expect that.

Today I've eaten twice, the sausage pizza and later on beans on toast. I really wanted that pizza again a bit later, but I'd have had to do it on toast and cook another sausage (and they're frozen, so CBA). I do like a sausage/cheese combo.

I've bread that's best by tomorrow and 1/4 of a cucumber that needs eating... but I'm out of eggs, so I might need to buy more eggs, or just have cucumber sandwiches tomorrow.

I never did get round to making the syrup loaf as I've been too busy eating other food that needed to be used up I also CBA to see if I've got the bicarb. Half my pots/spices were "tidied away/out of sight" for house viewings and half are out ... and I just couldn't face looking to see if I had got the bicarb + having to actually make the thing... then cook/wait for it

There's a limit to how much one can cook/eat .... but I'll get round to it one day.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th Jul 19, 9:05 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    Brambling
    Hi dekaspace are you able to batch cook and freeze so you can have a homemade ready meal for when you get home.

Today was very much the same as yesterday, we are system testing at work so the team is shut in a meeting room usually swearing for 6 hours a day, at least tomorrow will be broken by a two hour conference call with the system developers in India at least it pays the bills

I amused the builders tonight whistling for the cat, they were most impressed that he came running . It's the way I've trained all my cats it's just being cats they always hear you but sometimes chose not to acknowledge you It's not unusual for his lordship to come running and then get sidetrack half way up the path by something and then totally ignore me

Food wise today lunch was the same as yesterday salad with egg, seafood sticks and ff cottage cheese. Dinner was LO lamb meatballs with braised fennel and green beans
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 18th Jul 19, 6:25 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Grhhh, I have wasted 2 whole days waiting in for deliveries that have not arrived. 2 companies that I have never heard of and parcelforce. They had better arrive today

I started with protibix and berries, I changed from 2 to 1 protibix after channel hopping last night and seeing that programme about 600 lb people who cannot move. That was the best incentive ever, to lose a bit of weight or to at least be careful. I`ll have a second breakfast later, maybe some sd toast and marmalade and an omlette. Main meal frozen nut roast and whatever veg I have and at some time the LO frozen hm yoghurt ice cream. That is it for the day, apart from a maybe soup and an apple. No biscuits or crisps or similar in the house, only some bath biscuits that I could have with a bit of cheese

I am not buying any more biscuits for `just in case ` visitors. I end up scoffing the lot and then feel guilty
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Jul 19, 6:55 AM
    • 67,091 Posts
    • 393,383 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Since 4am this morning, I've not fancied making that chilli.

It's not hard.... I'd par-cook the mince and drain off any fat that comes out of it. I'd peel/chop 2-3 onions. Then it's swilling out 6 "empty" ketchup and brown sauce bottles I'd kept in the fridge as I kept saying "swill those out for the next SC meal" and kept forgetting. Then I just needed to open/drain/wash the contents of 2 cans and use 2 cans as they come. Twist a knob, flick the switch ...

CBA

I'll do it in a bit. No rush, it takes about 6 hours anyway, so if I don't get round to it until 12 it's still fine for tea-time

EDIT: It's on.
    750g mince, 2 medium onions (CBA to cut the 3rd), tin kidney beans, tin chickpeas, tin of tomatoes, splash of this and that, chili flakes. I might add in a tin of beans later, once it's cooked down a bit and there's room/I can see what's what.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 18-07-2019 at 9:19 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Jul 19, 12:19 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 23,723 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had my usual toast for breakfast.

I have vacuumed and mopped the floor and put a load of laundry in.

I have tidied away my underwear with the new drawer dividers I bought.

I'm going to go to the shop and go for a walk and then have veggie sausages with baked beans and stir fried red onion, peppers and tomatoes when I get back.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th Jul 19, 1:20 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    Farway
    Yay, rain at last overnight. Not much but it's dusted off the plants and now it's humid

Porridge breakfast then into town, Keeping eyes open for SYRUP Caron.

Must be a run on it since the recipe, only had squeeze bottles, I want a tin with a dead lion & flies bees on it. I'll check in L's tomorrow

Finished up getting most of my shopping in W*rose, found some YS posh streaky, and YS super posh lamb.

It was on offer, then YSd, now way I'd buy at normal price.
    It's in the oven now, today is "use by" date & it's too expensive to risk ponging by tomorrow

Lunch was BLT sarnie with the YS streaky

Dinner, not sure, should be lamb & cooked veg etc, but CBA so may turn into a lamb sarnie, or have some grilled streaky, eggs, mushrooms maybe?

I'm hedging bets and have another loaf in the Panny just in case it's lamb sarnie dinner.

I've got fresh mint. Cursing myself because I walked past new Cornish spuds in the greengrocer this morning

Update, 1530. Kitchen smelling of lovely lamb & fresh bread, licks lips
    Last edited by Farway; 18-07-2019 at 2:35 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Jul 19, 2:58 PM
    • 67,091 Posts
    • 393,383 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had a portion of chilli, with basmati rice, about 45 minutes ago.
    I've boxed up two tubs with 2-portions each, which are cooling before I pop them in the fridge.

Kitchen looked like a bomb'd hit it because I had all four tins I'd opened drip drying before I put them in the recycling bin; I had 5 empty/washed plastic sauce bottles drip drying ready to go into recycling + the empty/washed ex-mince plastic dish drip drying .... then there was the pyrex bowl I'd pre-cooked the meat in (in soak) and the SC pot (in soak) and the bowl I'd eaten chilli from (in soak). As I'd used a fresh spoon every time I had a poke/dabble, I also had every large spoon in soak. I've done all the washing up except the SC pot now.

Still loads of drying to be done and then, with space cleared a little, I can finally tackle the SC pot, which requires the draining board almost to itself.

There's also a cereal bowl, lined with foil, that contains all the fat I drained from the par-cooked mince, which is white and almost set now....

Chilli was super tasty. Lobbed in a spoon of cocoa, just because I had some and thought "why not"....

I've now got to eat a further 4 portions of chilli, then 3 portions of pie from the freezer and one bit of kebab meat ... and that's the freezer just about emptied, but that amount of food would be another week even if I am not tempted to eat something else/different instead There'll still be six sausages in the freezer, which will probably mean six sausage/cheese pizzas to be eaten the following week.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 18-07-2019 at 3:29 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jul 19, 6:41 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 34,202 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

How frustrating patty pan, I hate when deliveries don't turn up when they should.

Mmm lovely smells Farway I can just picture you sniffing like a Bisto kid. Did you get a meat order sorted out?

Your chilli sounds tasty PN and worth the mess from making.

It was raining this morning so I cracked on with exciting things like changing my bed and doing laundry. After that it was a phone marathon to sort out some bits & bobs to due with my Dad and set up meeting the Estate Agent who's coming out tomorrow. Early afternoon my sis popped round for a couple of hours during which it dried up and when she left I managed to get a fair bit done in the garden. Discovered that I have 3 tomatoes nearly ripe in the greenhouse (Stupice and Maskota varieties).

Lunch was the last of the corned beef with lettuce, tomato and pickle in a sarnie with cucumber sticks and cherries.

I've defrosted a lovely looking FR pork chop for dinner which I'll have with the extra spuds I cooked last night and garden veg - courgette, french beans, broad beans, chard, calvo nero and kholrabi leaves. I thought there would be more French beans but there was just a small handful big enough to harvest but I was surprised that there was some broad beans ready. It was just so lovely to nip to the veg patch and pick all the veg for dinner, it's not at the point yet where I can do this daily but heading in the right direction.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 18th Jul 19, 7:53 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 6,378 Thanks
    Brambling
    You very kindly passed the rain onto us Farway it was raining when I got up and carried on as a gentle rain until noon . I agree about W*itrose lamb, it's lovely but expensive I only usually buy it reduced and YS

I had a brief moment of panic at the petrol station when I couldn't find my cards case, luckily I was still sitting in the car so I wasn't standing looking a idiot at the till. It had migrated to the bottom of my suitcase handbag (I must get a smaller bag and sort it) i worried I had dropped it at the cash point lunchtime, definitely raised my blood pressure

I got the last minute approval from my manager for a day off tomorrow, so I'm off to Dorset early to hopefully avoid the traffic, I've reluctantly agreed to pick my sister up on the way to save my BiL but it does add a good 45 minutes to my journey as I have to come off the M27 and I think I will then hit the rush hour traffic so no CFO this weekend but I may pop in to say hi and try and avoid murder, not sure whose and possibly mine I've promised to bite my tongue which doesn't always come easy with family

Lunch today was the last of the cottage cheese and seafood sticks in a salad. I was late finishing work today so dinner was a small cheese and tomato pizza from the freezer with extra bits on top I did wish I had sausage after PNs sausage pizza talk
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Jul 19, 8:21 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 34,202 Thanks
    caronc
    Hope you have a lovely time in Dorset and there are not too many "smile and count to ten" moments

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jul 19, 7:14 AM
    • 67,091 Posts
    • 393,383 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Wet, raining, overcast, cool here today.

That chilli will go down a treat.

Chilli today. Could be with spaghetti (quickest/easiest), or rice (but did that yesterday), or jacket spud (I still have those 1.5Kg of spuds to eat), or pasta in general (I have some opened packets to get through.

I've a couple of crusts of bread too, which might mean beans on toast at some point, bread's dated today so I need to eat those today/tomorrow and can't freeze them as I did that with the two crusts of the last loaf and still need to use those too.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 19th Jul 19, 12:43 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 23,723 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It's pouring here today.

I had toast and was thinking about making a lentil shepherd's pie for lunch.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jul 19, 1:03 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    Farway
    Forecast was right, lots of lovely rain today, all coming from PN's direction, which means Brambling is either driving or sitting fuming on A35 in it

Mmm lovely smells Farway I can just picture you sniffing like a Bisto kid. Did you get a meat order sorted out?
    Originally posted by caronc
    No, turning into PIA, the grass fed beef I'm after is sold out again, both breeds, I started on my order with other stuff, left it thinking I'd check another day to see if beef is back only to find my "basket" empties overnight so I need to start again

I can see me giving up & driving over to a bricks & mortar Ye Olde Farm Shoppe at a GC a few miles away, annoying because I'm really trying to keep local & ethical with meat items

That was one reason I snatched the W*rose lamb yesterday

Into L's this morning, new spuds on offer, go well with my lamb, plus syrup, huge tin, should last forever, trial run on Syrup cake this weekend I think

Lunch was BLT using new loaf

Dinner is the lamb, I tried some last night, just to sample of course. It is superb, and I've a bit of dripping as well
    I think it's lamb, boiled new spuds, probably with salad. I've French beans ready but it's bucketing down & don't fancy getting wet legs picking them
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 19th Jul 19, 2:57 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I was busy this morning, assembled a keter storage box single handed, assembled 4 good raised beds from greenfingers, assembled a plant stand for outside and started my new hotbin going. I have decided to give up my allotment next spring and transfer as many plants as I can and all my tools and plant covers, so I needed another storage bin here. Sounds a lot but I enjoyed doing it. Now I am sleepy and my early dinner is cooking, I too am having lamb, a chump chop plus several veggies as my fridge is again overflowing. Got a visitor tomorrow, vegan but he is cooking, after he has set up one of my bikes and stashed a carpet roll high in the garage. I am glad of the rain, so are my plants
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jul 19, 3:18 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    Farway
    Change of dinner plan, stopped raining so popped out & picked some French beans, enough for dinner, so it's lamb plus those, carrots, one LO parsnip, boiled new spuds & LO celery heart

I'll just slather the veg in butter once cooked, should grease my arteries well
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Jul 19, 6:32 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 34,202 Thanks
    caronc

No, turning into PIA, the grass fed beef I'm after is sold out again, both breeds, I started on my order with other stuff, left it thinking I'd check another day to see if beef is back only to find my "basket" empties overnight so I need to start again

Originally posted by Farway
    How frustrating , though at least you have some lovely lamb to compensate .

Good evening everyone,
    Today started as warm & sunny but it been raining for most of the afternoon and we have a weather warning for thunder & lightening and heavy rain overnight. Certainly my balance and tinnitus are complaining about something this evening so hopefully that's the cause.
    My meeting with the Estate Agent went well and my Dad's flat should be on the market the week after next. Apart from that and tackling some ironing I've not done lots today but it still seems to have flown in!
    Last night's FR pork chop was lovely but overshadowed by the spankingly fresh garden veg, I had forgotten how gorgeous a big pile of newly picked and lightly cooked green veg is.
    Breakfast today was toast with the last of a tub of cheese spread and sliced tomatoes, lunch was a quick grab when I got home after 2pm of crackers & cheese, cucumber sticks, radishes and cherries. Dinner tonight is chicken thighs marinating in a spicy yoghurt mix with roast veg. I'm not quite sure what all is in the marinade as it was spare that my son had made that I froze. From the look/ smell there's cumin, fresh chilli, paprika, lemon, garlic, mint and no doubt oregano & thyme. It smells lovely anyway. He made chicken skewers to take to a "stag" do which included a bbq so I didn't get to try any at the time.
    As the weather looks lousy on Sunday and I've no plans I intend to bake a SD loaf as not made one for a few weeks and my bought bread will be more or less finished by then, I'll get my starter revived tonight to get the ball rolling and I'll get it properly underway tomorrow before proving it overnight. I also must go through the fridge and put together a vague meal plan as I've just been winging it this week. I might also make a big pan of tomato sauce to freeze in CFO portions, I find it handy for lots of things but have exhausted my freezer stash . The basil plant could do with another hair cut so another batch of pesto could probably do with being whizzed up.
    Last edited by caronc; 19-07-2019 at 6:53 PM.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jul 19, 7:14 PM
    • 67,091 Posts
    • 393,383 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    NOTE: Tomorrow's Weekend Deal at L1dl is bags of grated cheddar. I hope to remember/bother to get that as I'm down to my final 2"x1" piece of the last lot I also hope they have it in as last time I went for blocks of cheese I was first through the door, first to the back of the store and had to hunt - and they only had FOUR packs, which I shared with a man who was also looking for them.

Today I went on a special trip out for sweeties
    I've been scoffing my way through a bag of chocs this afternoon.

It's rained here all day. I did nearly get some sausage rolls on the way back from the sweeties run, but my road is a turning about 50 metres before the sausage roll shop and I CBA, in the rain, to drive past my road, to get the sausage rolls, then to turn back out onto the main road across the traffic and nip back into my road again....

I cooked spaghetti earlier and served a portion of chilli with it.

EDIT Sat Morning: Not sure I can face going for cheese now... I ate a whole bag of chocs yesterday/last night and I'm feeling groggy this morning My oomph left...
    On the other hand, I know if I don't try/go I'll hate myself.
    I'd like a bath before I go .... maybe if I skip that and go without just to get cheese (and sausage rolls?) I might manage it.

EDIT 2: Well, I did go for the cheese. Queue of about 20 in front of me, then got aisle blocked by 2-3 staff with big pallets filling shelves and being generally dysfunctional.... but I got to the end and there was a scrum for cheese. Then somebody said "that's not the one" and the crowd disappeared. Then I spotted it - empty spot, dipped down and there were a couple of bags at the back, so I grabbed two bags. A bit later on I saw a woman from the scrum asking the staff where the cheese was and he said "it's on the lorry, being unloaded".

So, maybe when I go/there's none, it's because they're always behind with actually putting it out on the shelves.

I had no basket or anything.... I got two packs of cheese, then 1.5Kg of chips, then some fizzy pop and saw that the till had no queue, so I chose to just pay and go, rather than walk across the shop to get sausage rolls as by the time I got back to the till there'd have no doubt been a queue of 2-3 people will fully laden trolleys unloading. So no sausage rolls.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-07-2019 at 8:28 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Jul 19, 9:14 AM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    Farway
    Thunder woke me up in the night, it tipped down which saves me a job of watering for a day or two

Breakfast usual porridge
    Made a fresh batch of yoghurt, using my new temperature probe thingy which worked as it should. Always a worry on maiden outing, especially as it was only a cheapo

Lunch will be last of the YS bacon in a BLT sarnie

Last night's FR pork chop was lovely but overshadowed by the spankingly fresh garden veg, I had forgotten how gorgeous a big pile of newly picked and lightly cooked green veg is.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Have to concur with this, last night's fresh French beans were so tasty, I cleared my plate which is a bit unusual sometimes because once I've cooked something I get fed up eating it

The lamb was excellent, still some left for tonight, along with LO boiled new spuds
    I think I'll use them as a base for tonight's dinner, spud salad with more lamb

My vanished cash ISA documents arrived for me complete & send back to enable to view my own money on line again.
    Five pages, plus two "rules" booklets, plus 1st class SAE. What a waste of paper, time & money just because I left my money in a bank untouched for two years, no wonder eco warriors complain about waste

End rant Today could be syrup cake day, checked and all ingredients are to hand, plus one "not too dirty when rinsed" ex yoghurt pan available. Extra plus dishwasher is getting full and ready for a bash tonight after dinner
    Last edited by Farway; 20-07-2019 at 9:16 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 34,202 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

I've no idea if we got the forecasted thunder, if we did I slept through it! There was a lot of rain though and the garden is completely saturated. It's supposed to get sunny later so I'm hoping to get outdoors for a bit if it does.
    I've chicken and few roast veg LO from last night, I'm still not 100% what all my son put in the marinade but it was really taste. I'll add the LOs to various salady bits for lunch. I'm not sure about dinner tonight I kind of fancy meatballs & spaghetti but not sure if I cba making tomato sauce today so might have a rethink on that.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

878Posts Today

7,316Users online

Martin's Twitter