Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrisb1357
    • By chrisb1357 3rd Jun 16, 10:28 PM
    • 832Posts
    • 124Thanks
    chrisb1357
    Dad Recently Passed Away with No Will
    • 3rd Jun 16, 10:28 PM
    Dad Recently Passed Away with No Will 3rd Jun 16 at 10:28 PM
    Hi all,

My dad recently passed away 2 weeks ago and I am in a bit of a mess on where to start and what to do with regards to helping my mum sort everything out as my dad use to look after everything.

There was no Will or house or mortgage involved but there is outstanding debts as he was on a DMP plan with Stepchange/CCCS. Not sure if the debts are joint.

People keep mentioning Probate as there was no will but again am not sure if this is needed or how to sort this out. Should we seek advice from a solicitor or someone else. Is this correct?

Many Thanks
    Last edited by chrisb1357; 03-06-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Page 6
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 21st Jun 16, 9:30 AM
    • 31,499 Posts
    • 80,764 Thanks
    Mojisola
    She also stated that Mum needs to be the Administrator and not me
    Originally posted by chrisb1357
    There are rules about who can be the Administrator but no-one is forced to do the job. Your mother can say that she will not/can not do the job and pass the responsibility on to you.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/death-and-wills/dealing-with-the-financial-affairs-of-someone-who-has-died/#h-probate-and-letters-of-administration
    If there is no valid will, and you are the next-of-kin, you can apply to be an administrator in the following order of priority:
    1. you are the married partner or civil partner of the person who has died
    2. you are the child of the person who has died

and so on down the list.
    • RAS
    • By RAS 25th Jun 16, 7:19 AM
    • 27,995 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    RAS
    Hi

I thought that as the death in service is paid to mums name only that it does not need to service dads debts. Is this not the case

Chris
    Originally posted by chrisb1357
    Hi

One of the things that does not seem to be addressed is that according to your previous posts some of the debts in the DMP are either joint or in mum' name. She remains liable for those debts.

Stepchange cannot tell you what is his and what is hers under data protection rules but they can tell mum what she owes.

It looks like dad has been dealing with the money side for both of them. Sadly with dad gone mum is going to have learn how to manage her money urgently. I suggest she rings Stepchange and asks what she owes. And asks for a review based on her new income and assets. She needs to check on deprivation of assets but she has got to start looking after her own money urgently, otherwise she will never learn to cope. You cannot be doing it for her.

Someone has already posted the SOA link but Stepchange will probably ask for one any way.

That would give you a bit of space to work out whether dad's estate is solvent or not.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 29th Jun 16, 10:09 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    just popped by to how your getting on x
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

3,323Users online

Martin's Twitter