DIY Probate

Comments

• G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    Thank you for your answers and support. Sons in law told me about the car dvlc and insurance. I did these and put 2 named drivers on as they suggested. So much to think about and that hadn`t crossed my mind at the time

I am so relieved re going to the solicitors, Bristol is manic. We have an ex police driving instructor in the village who now runs a driving school. I`ll see how I go, I have been out once and small town was very busy with lots of roadworks, was fine, not fast though but keeping within the flow. Will be making a longer journey tomorrow, an hour each way and am now feeling ok about driving, having a new car didn`t help but it is the same make, different model, that we have had for 10 years previously. Darn it, I used to drive a 4 x4 pulling a horse trailer and even reversing it around bends so I know I have it in me. I won`t be driving at night though

I will probably have to do that iht form, it asks for gifts made in the past 7 years. Any cash went from our joint account and it asks for a value of his possessions, even for a spouse with a simple mirror will

He had an accountant, didn`t really need one but kept him on when he retired. Might prove invaluable just now. Also a brother, away on the other side of the world, on holiday, who was a tax inspector. I think I will back peddle for a while. Probate was easy enough until I found the iht forms. Drat, here was me being clever in getting savings bonds in single names. Close bros, saga. Got to ring them today, maybe they won`t want a probate certificate. I am spouse, executer and sole beneficiary
    It is good to hear you being so positive at such a difficult time. Take one day at a time, don't rush and remember you CAN do it!
  • Yes did another drive to town this morning, wanted to get something that dh had ordered for his hobby. Used sat nav for the first time and loved that voice, telling me which way to go. Shop was on a busy road, double yellow lines, I turned up a skinny narrow side street, cars parked on 2 sides. Then I found a space and did a good parallel park, myself, was so chuffed but very careful being aware of the car on the other side of the street.

Learnt how to open the petrol cap cover and filled with petrol and used sat nav home

Did a bit of bank stuff, rang all the banks now and the sipp provider, mentally thanking my dear husband for giving me third part authority so I have done all of it, transfer in, vested, flexible drawdowns and shares. Rang his accountant, lovely man, he was shocked. There will have to be another tax return but I have to jan 2016. I wish I hadn`t given dh all those papers to file away

I fixed his bathroom scales and am sorting bin stuff, cleaned the stove, all the things he would have done. Am talking aloud, a lot

Funeral service is 80% sorted, so yes am feeling positive. Will be glad when it is all over. Don`t know if I can bear any more condolences, the short notes are the best

Resting this afternoon and by golly I will do probate myself as well as those pesky iht forms but in a few weeks
  • Kittie, if you need any help at all, please PM me, and I'd be only too pleased to assist. My DH died on 23rd December, and it would have been his birthday on Christmas Day.

It's so good that you are keeping yourself busy and organised. I bought a packet of 2 dozen plastic folders, and labelled them "Funeral", "Probate", "Life Insurance", "Tax", etc, because there are so many bits of paper that you accumulate.

I also made lists and ticked off as I completed each task. Or added to it when I remembered another one! I couldn't cope with too much sympathy either, and in fact silently screamed when people insisted on hugging me, but it's the time when nobody knows what to do or say to you, and people want to help.

Swearing the oath can be carried out at your nearest solicitor, who is a Commissioner of Oaths, and it cost me £7. And it made me feel so chuffed that I was able to do it, and saved me a fortune as well. My grand-daughter suggested I form my own company called "Widows R Us"!

Baby steps to begin with Kittie, and I'm just a PM away.

xx
  • Just read your posts again. Everyone wants the Grant of Probate before they'll part with a farthing. In fact, I was so cross with one place where DH had an ISA bond, who have denied telephone conversations and receipt of letters, that I sent Recorded Delivery, and checked online that they were signed for, that I found the email address of their CEO, and wrote to him on Wednesday, attaching the letters I'd written, and listing my woes.

I also said I thought it was deplorable that they'd been in possession of an original Death Certificate since the 15th January, and yet they'd sent a statement, addressed to DH, dated 14th February.

Funnily enough, the Estates Office phoned me this afternoon to apologise and to say the money has now been transferred to my bank account!

xx
  • what do I put at the top of the first form, where it says `interview venue` I want to go to a local solicitor but the probate office is Bristol

arghhh, last step and I am stuck
  • kittie wrote: »
    what do I put at the top of the first form, where it says `interview venue` I want to go to a local solicitor but the probate office is Bristol

arghhh, last step and I am stuck

Kittie, according to the document called 'How to Obtain Probate - A Guide for People Acting Without a Solicitor' on the HM Courts & Tribunals site, if you want to use a solicitor then you should write "solicitor's office" in the interview venue box.

Unfortunately as I'm still classed as a newbie, I'm unable to post a link to the actual document but it's also known as the PA2 doc.
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kittie, according to the document called 'How to Obtain Probate - A Guide for People Acting Without a Solicitor' on the HM Courts & Tribunals site, if you want to use a solicitor then you should write "solicitor's office" in the interview venue box.

Unfortunately as I'm still classed as a newbie, I'm unable to post a link to the actual document but it's also known as the PA2 doc.

I knew which solicitor I would be using, so that's what I put, but I also sent a covering letter, listing the items I was sending, and stating the name and address of the solicitor as well.

My cheque to the Probate Office was for £218, because I requested 6 copies of the Grant, as they were only 50p each and it's better to have more than what you think you might need.

I'm still reeling from the cost of the funeral. :eek: So it feels good to be able to save the cost of a solicitor to do the Probate.

xx
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    I knew which solicitor I would be using, so that's what I put, but I also sent a covering letter, listing the items I was sending, and stating the name and address of the solicitor as well.

My cheque to the Probate Office was for £218, because I requested 6 copies of the Grant, as they were only 50p each and it's better to have more than what you think you might need.

I'm still reeling from the cost of the funeral. :eek: So it feels good to be able to save the cost of a solicitor to do the Probate.

xx
    Good for you! From what you say you are doing fine. As the saying from WW2 goes "Keep calm and carry on". Of course some days will be better than others but that is life. We are all behind you.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Kittie and Sandra, I think you're fantastic. Everything you do like this improves your confidence, though I think Sandra is a naturally confident lady.

When my mother, who had lived in the US since 1946, returning to Britain a couple of years before she died, passed away the day her will came for signature, I was in a quandary.

I had visited her in hospital every day for five and a half weeks while still doing a full time job, missing meals constantly, so I was also getting a bit frail.

My mum had destroyed all her personal papers before going into hospital for some reason, so I was left without a will, I couldn't prove I was her daughter, I couldn't prove my father had died previously, and basically I couldn't prove anything.

I went to the county town for probate, met the court representative and explained this, white as a sheet and very nervous. He asked me if there was anyone challenging probate and I explained that the remaining members of my family were living in England, that they all knew I was an only child and should properly iniherit from my mother. He said "probate granted".

Having had that experience, I feel confident that if I had it to do again, I could, but of course the complete support of the extended family helped greatly.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    Kittie and Sandra, I think you're fantastic. Everything you do like this improves your confidence, though I think Sandra is a naturally confident lady.

That's nice of you to say, but it's all smoke and mirrors with me! But I think if you keep yourself busy, it helps enormously. I get a big kick from knowing I've achieved something, and a bigger kick from helping someone else.

We all have different talents, and it's just mine is filling in forms! Losing your life partner after nearly half a century is like having part of yourself amputated, so keeping yourself occupied helps.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport