Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 11th Nov 14, 10:48 AM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    It's aitch not haitch
    • 11th Nov 14, 10:48 AM
    It's aitch not haitch 11th Nov 14 at 10:48 AM
    Does it drive you up the wall when people 'literally' die laughing? Or how about those who give 110%?

Check out Martin's top 10 list for word pedants

Hit "reply" to add yours!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Page 2
  • wiogs
    This one particularly annoys me. And the number of highly intelligent academics being interviewed on Radio 4 who are guilty of this ....
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    It seems to have taken the place of "Yes" which journalists/reporters used to start their reports with.
    • LimeLight
    • By LimeLight 12th Nov 14, 8:01 AM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    LimeLight
    People don't turn round before they say things. Can you imagine how odd it would be if we did?
    Originally posted by Bellroyd
    Please would you explain, Bellroyd? I'm easily confoosed!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Some people say " so I turned round and said....." "And she turned around and shouted...."

You can imagine the pair pirouetting down the street as they keep turning around to each other during an argument.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
    • nonnatus
    • By nonnatus 12th Nov 14, 8:23 AM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 3,238 Thanks
    nonnatus
    I, like other have said, get really irritated by checkout assistants ask me
    "How has your day been so far? Doing anything nice with the rest of your day?"

How is that appropriate? Maybe I'm off to a funeral? Maybe I'm going home to drink six bottles of wine and stew in my own misery? How on earth does it have anything to do with the Supermarket staff???

The only question I can tolerate is the "Did you find everything you were looking for today?" At least it's relevant

God, I'm miserable.
    • Geep
    • By Geep 12th Nov 14, 8:41 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Geep
    Slightly, rather, somewhat
    The use of a qualifying word with an absolute description, sometimes in a slightly patronising way, thus "rather wonderful", "slightly wrong" and "somewhat unique". What Fowler describes as an air of studious understatement.
    • LimeLight
    • By LimeLight 12th Nov 14, 9:07 AM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    LimeLight
    What about shop assistants who don't actually listen to your answer?

"So, how are you today?

feeling quite depressed

"oh good"
    • purpleweasel
    • By purpleweasel 12th Nov 14, 9:07 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    purpleweasel
    This one might not really count but it really annoys me when historians say things like "by March 1063 Elizabeth is dying". I assume they are trying to make history more "real" by pretending it didn't happen in the past but there's a clue in the word "history" - it has already happened! She's already dead! It's worse when they shift between tenses in the same or neighbouring sentences.

By the way, haven't we had this sort of thread before? Can of worms....
    • Geep
    • By Geep 12th Nov 14, 9:11 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Geep
    haven't we had this sort of thread before?
    Originally posted by purpleweasel
    Yes but isn't it enjoyable!
    • miss-tified
    • By miss-tified 12th Nov 14, 9:21 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    miss-tified
    less is more...?

less vs fewer , them vs those, was vs were, isn't there vs aren't there, there is vs there are, compared with vs compared to, we've seen vs we seen... and it goes on..

"There's less of them skateboarders than there was before, isn't there, compared with what we seen in them other places?"

"There are fewer of those skateboarders than there were before, aren't there, compared to what we've seen other places?"

Seen on a tribute card to Amy Winehouse after her death, referring to the legacy Amy left as "an air lume"

Finally, for thems that don't know nothing about double negatives, I offer this old joke:

An English teacher says to her class, "In grammatical terms, a double negative makes a positive, but there is simply no such thing as a double positive in the English language." And from the back of the class, a student responds, "Yeah, right."

As Groucho Marx said, "I cannot say that I do not disagree with you."
    • naughty_10382
    • By naughty_10382 12th Nov 14, 9:26 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    naughty_10382
    'Defiantly' instead of 'definitely' makes me cross. "I defiantly want to go there again" just gives me an image of someone marching off shouting "I'm going back there and you can't stop me!" to everyone in the vicinity.
    Blood donations to date: 10 | Type: O negative[/B][/CENTER]
  • Basia02
    its - awesome/wonderful/great - its none of these things. Its an Icon, iconic - no its not. The worst - its Cool. No its warm. All these are so overused to have become meaningless He is a national treasure - most people can't stand him/her
  • Tont
    People who write loose instead of lose, and especially people who write looser instead of loser. What's looser? Your knickers?
    • Granny28
    • By Granny28 12th Nov 14, 9:43 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    Granny28
    I hate travel reps and others who refer to themselves as 'myself', as in 'other reps and myself' instead of 'other reps and I'. I've even heard 'Myself prefers'!
    • purpleweasel
    • By purpleweasel 12th Nov 14, 9:49 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    purpleweasel
    Whenever I hear a politician say "the truth is" I am always fairly sure it isn't. At least not in any form that you would recognise.
    Originally posted by Westwinds3
    Along with "I want to make it absolutely clear..." which always translates in my head as the complete opposite
  • njb783
    Predominately - -what the?
    Another word that doesn't really exist or have meaning, but which is appearing with increasing frequency, even in "proper" newspapers..."predominately" should always be "predominantly". I blame spellcheck.
  • Madman5150
    Using 'er' as punctuation is particuLARly annoying...
    Particuly seems to be the new particuLARly. I hear this one most often from TV news reporters. You might expect more, as these are generally well educated people. Then again, am I expecting too much from people who punctuate their sentences with 'er'? Listen to the BBC news channel for an hour or so; it's akin to Chinese water torture.
  • WellJeal
    Vee
    Can't stand hearing TV announcers comment on, for example, "the Rangers VEE Celtic match". What's wrong with saying versus???? And in the same "lazy" vein, TV adverts now announce sofas for sale at three nine nine - is it so tiring to say three hundred and ninety nine pounds???
  • WellJeal
    Cheater
    People who write loose instead of lose, and especially people who write looser instead of loser. What's looser? Your knickers?
    Originally posted by Tont

It's a bit like the Americanism of "cheater". You're a cheat, not a cheater
    • davestretty
    • By davestretty 12th Nov 14, 10:12 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    davestretty
    "for free"
    Two things really annoy me. One is the increasingly popular use of the term "for free". Something is available either at a cost or free (not "totally free" or "for free").
    The other is results "in no particular order". Yes they are in a pre -determined order, but they have decided not to tell you how the order was decided.
    AAAArgh.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 12th Nov 14, 10:17 AM
    • 5,443 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    John Gray
    It's a bit like the Americanism of "cheater". You're a cheat, not a cheater
    Originally posted by WellJeal
    How are you on "burglarizing"?!
    • LimeLight
    • By LimeLight 12th Nov 14, 10:23 AM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    LimeLight
    I had a friend constantly say "i'll tell you for why"

What was the 'for' there for??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,632Posts Today

6,848Users online

Martin's Twitter