Contesting a Will

Comments

• Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    haveiacase wrote: »
    Would the solicitor who arranged the will take me seriously if i called to complain i wonder , or would they get aggressive and warn me off ?

You're not the solicitor's client, so they probably wouldn't talk to you at all.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

Thanks for your post

Is there anyway i can prove that the solicitor and the secretary (who witnessed and signed the will made in June last year) maybe didnt check throughly enough that my ex MIL was fully capable ?maybe there is a way of convincing a judge that the two who DO benefit maybe coerced her into handing everything to them ?

To be fair those two , do live in the same town and have done all of the looking after and her shopping , keeping her company etc but i just feel regardless of that my passed husbands kids should have benefited

its hard to let go

legally , where do i stand ?

Why is it hard to let go? It's just money and it's not even your money, you clearly didn't love the poor dear or you might have made the most of her last months by visiting regularly. Perhaps your MIL left her worldly goods to the people who are grieving right now instead of those who were focussed on the will at the wake.

Legal professionals are very careful with older people or those with dementia to be sure they understand the implications of what they are doing. Pay for a solicitor to tell you the same as us if you feel so strongly. Why don't you think your MIL had the right to dispose of HER estate as she saw fit? How would you feel if money grabbing relatives who did a once yearly duty visit tried to challenge your will?

TBH I really hope you are a troll.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    reminds me of the old saying "where there's a will, there are relatives"
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My ex Mother in law died recently
    she had a son who was my husband , who died in 1998 , leaving our three children looked after ok and myself , i have since remarried.

She also had a daughter who died in 1986 , that person had two kids, who my ex mother in law took in and her and her husband (who has since died 1996) looked after them until adulthood

So a grandmother who took in and raised her daughter's children as her own and was cared for by them in her last years has left them her money? What's unreasonable about that?

You could waste money trying to challenge the will but I can't see you getting anywhere.
  • OK , so morally it doesnt look good , and legally , which is what matters...its a grey area....................?
  • Mojisola
    Nothing grey about it.

She could leave her money to anyone she wanted and she chose the children she had raised.
  • Legally you don't really stand anywhere - google grounds for disputing a will to check the normally acceptable grounds.

The solicitor who dealt with the will won't discuss it with you - you aren't their client (now deceased MIL). It is a private matter.

Are you willing to spend £150 plus for an hour's advice from a solicitor to explain it to you and explore whether you have a case?
  • Im comfortable for money so yes,i probably am, i just want to nail this dementia thing and see if i can discredit the will to be honest, on that basis
  • I could apply to the probate service to have the grant stopped ??
  • Mojisola
    Have you not read the answers above?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business