Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 28th Oct 06, 8:25 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 28th Oct 06, 8:25 PM
    • 28th Oct 06, 8:25 PM
    I have just ordered my bath bomb stuff from www.justasoap.co.uk (I think that's the url) - I already have my flower petals from an ebay supplier (rose and lavender 500gr of each which I think I will still have some left off in many years to come lol!!!) - so planning on making some bath bombs for everyone for christmas and every birthday in the coming years

should be here in a couple of days so will let you know how I get on
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Mule
    • 20th Nov 06, 7:22 PM
    Homemade bath bombs
    • 20th Nov 06, 7:22 PM
    Hi
    Does anybody know how to make bath bombs? I don't normally come on this board so could you let me know if there is a thread on this elsewhere? I've had a look but cannot see anything!
    Thanks
    • prettypennies
    • By prettypennies 20th Nov 06, 9:15 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 10,175 Thanks
    prettypennies
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:15 PM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:15 PM
    This site has a recipe for bathbombs and pics of how to make them:

http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 20th Nov 06, 9:17 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:17 PM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:17 PM
    although be aware they are tricky little suckers I'm still working on getting them perfect
    DFW Nerd #025

• lyns
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:23 PM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:23 PM
    although be aware they are tricky little suckers I'm still working on getting them perfect
    by tine
    Your not the only one :confused: to much water and they dont fizz in the bath and swell up when to pop them out the mould ,to little and they crumble.

I need to get some more moulds as i decided to leave one in and i snaped the mould getting it out have used cling film in the 1 i have left since and it seems to work well.

Anyone know what i can use as moulds
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • lyns
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:28 PM
    • 20th Nov 06, 9:28 PM
    Click here: http://www.meltandpoursupplies.com/pdfs/bathbomb.pdf

sorry here's the site
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • Mule
    • 21st Nov 06, 7:39 AM
    • 21st Nov 06, 7:39 AM
    Thanks for your help everyone! It all sounds very complicated!!! I'll have a look at that site, I'd like to give them a go so I'll report back if I do
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 22nd Nov 06, 10:36 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 22nd Nov 06, 10:36 AM
    • 22nd Nov 06, 10:36 AM
    Right... I THINK I have managed to make my first batch How they are gonna cope in the bath I'll have to let you know after tonight The secret I THINK is to use a little oil like sweet almond (I used about 6-8 drops per batch) and then carefully adding water (spray) and mix untill the mix stays together if you squeese it in your hand.

I'll report back on the results but they certainly haven't crumbled!

DFW Nerd #025

• MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 23rd Nov 06, 8:40 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    DRAT!!!!

They hardly fizzed at all!!! NOOOOOOO!!!! ARGH GRRRRRR

Has anyone worked out how to get round the balance of crumble vs no fizz...?
    What ratio of citric acid to bicarb of soda?
    DFW Nerd #025

• lyns
    DRAT!!!!

They hardly fizzed at all!!! NOOOOOOO!!!! ARGH GRRRRRR

Has anyone worked out how to get round the balance of crumble vs no fizz...?
    What ratio of citric acid to bicarb of soda?
    by tine
    I did some yesterday 4 small batches i used 8oz bicarb and 3oz citric the one i tested worked well but have not tried any from the other batches yet.I think a lot of it depends on the water and how quick you can mix it.
    Number 4 due 21st jan
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 23rd Nov 06, 12:38 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I used 3 parts bicarb to 1 part citric so pretty close... ok... I'll have another crack at some tonight if I get a chance... I think the key is less water, more oil... although someone on another website mentioned rubbing alcohol... something else to try

Maybe I'll start contemplating corn starch too...
    DFW Nerd #025

• lyns
    I used 3 parts bicarb to 1 part citric so pretty close... ok... I'll have another crack at some tonight if I get a chance... I think the key is less water, more oil... although someone on another website mentioned rubbing alcohol... something else to try

Maybe I'll start contemplating corn starch too...
    by tine
    yes i just poured the oil in i think it was about 3or4 tea spoons also the tighter you pack it the better the fizz
    Number 4 due 21st jan
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 23rd Nov 06, 4:07 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 29,393 Thanks
    Slinky
    Whatever you do, don't make anything that comes out yellow, bathing in a bath that is wee coloured isn't pleasant!
  • lyns
    Well i have now tested them and 2 out of the 4 batches fizz up nice the other 2 don't do much at all.
    Number 4 due 21st jan
    • amyandoli
    • By amyandoli 17th Jun 08, 9:04 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    amyandoli
    Soap Making
    I've read elsewhere on the net that it's possible to melt down Dove soap, add decorative bits- like oats etc, then reshape/mould it= handmade look.

Anyone know if this is possible with own brand soaps too?

I'm thinking if so I'll whip up several batches, various shapes and sizes and give them in a kilner jar as a gift...
  • 98jdougl
    Havn't heard of this so can't be much help but that does sound like an ace idea
    • amyandoli
    • By amyandoli 18th Jun 08, 9:31 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    amyandoli
    Here's where I found it...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/soap.shtml

lots of cool ideas on here- but I'm really liking the idea of this, just worried about saponification etc... (try it on the dreaded inlaws first !)
  • I_am_mad
    Soap and Bath bomb making
    Hello I am thinking about making some bath bombs and soap to sell at work. I was wondering what the laws are on making these with things such as ingredients etc. Do the customers need to know what is in the products for allergy reasons? Also if any one has any tips and websites for me to use?

Thank you all for your time xx
  • melissa75
    Hi, I got loads of ingredients a while ago to make soaps and bath bombs, but I had a few disasters so I went back to card making instead. If I pluck up the courage I'll have another go.
    I have seen loads of bath products for sale which are hand made on ebay and on websites where the seller makes no mention of having their products tested. Others that I have seen do, but I know it is really expensive.
    I was a member of a forum on making bath products it was called "fresholi" or something, people will give you loads of tips and advice on there.
    The ingredients themselves are expensive because of the high postage, it would be a lot cheaper I would think if you could find a shop in your area that sells the stuff. Ebay has a lot of kits that contain everything that you need to get you started. You can't make a lot out of the kits but its a great way to try before you spend a fortune.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,311Posts Today

6,641Users online

Martin's Twitter