Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 12:31 PM
    • 1,239Posts
    • 3,571Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 12:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 12:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 6:30 PM.
Page 43
    • tgon
    • By tgon 15th Aug 19, 8:59 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    tgon
    If you are going to do it, book direct, as opposed to via a broker, in so that you have one clear set of T&Cs.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Generally speaking, is this the wisest approach? Iím looking to rent a full size car for 3 weeks from Melbourne Airport in November. Skyscanner is a great accumulator which then passes results onto a selected broker who then contacts a rental company and prices seem to be lower, I assume, because of some referral partnership. Same with booking through an airline carrier that has some air miles type partnership.

I prefer the direct approach personally and if itís the most prudent approach then I lose on potential discount but I guess thatís the price for simplicity.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Aug 19, 9:22 PM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Generally speaking, is this the wisest approach? I’m looking to rent a full size car for 3 weeks from Melbourne Airport in November. Skyscanner is a great accumulator which then passes results onto a selected broker who then contacts a rental company and prices seem to be lower, I assume, because of some referral partnership. Same with booking through an airline carrier that has some air miles type partnership.

I prefer the direct approach personally and if it’s the most prudent approach then I lose on potential discount but I guess that’s the price for simplicity.
    Originally posted by tgon
    First of all, you missed the point. We were discussing a particular type of car rental company. Let's call them GoldCar for the purpose of the discussion. If you are going to book a GoldCar vehicle, it's best to do it direct.

If you are referring to mainstream companies, personally, I book direct too in this case, but use promo codes provided by the companies themselves. Plus there may be cashback available.
    So I don't lose out on any discounts.
    • unethical
    • By unethical 23rd Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    unethical
    Confused need help please
    Hi,
    Iím going to Vegas in sept and have hired a car. I normally also buy excess insurance in case I need to recoup any losses. I checked my car hire details this morning and saw that my policy has $0 excess....they will take a deposit of up to $2500 still though. Would I be correct in my logic that a $0 excess means that I donít need to buy excess insurance as any damage, whilst theyíd deduct it from my deposit initially would be covered 100% by the actual hire policy I already have.

I queried the company direct but they werenít very helpful so Iíd appreciate it if anyone else has had this situation before could confirm or correct me.
    Thanks in advance
    Zopa: £1210.17 (£989.39) Santander: £1685.10 (£467.98)
    Barclaycard: £6402.79 (£6438.28) HMRC 1:705.69 (£696.89)
    HMRC 2: £1699.09 (£1677.89) Student Loan: £4569.51(£4476.51) Vanquis:£644.79 Tesco:£931.18 (Total debt up by £50.56)
    Make £10 a day challenge-May=£19.06
    Payment a day challenge=£316.37 so far
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Aug 19, 1:34 PM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi,
    Iím going to Vegas in sept and have hired a car. I normally also buy excess insurance in case I need to recoup any losses. I checked my car hire details this morning and saw that my policy has $0 excess....they will take a deposit of up to $2500 still though. Would I be correct in my logic that a $0 excess means that I donít need to buy excess insurance as any damage, whilst theyíd deduct it from my deposit initially would be covered 100% by the actual hire policy I already have.

I queried the company direct but they werenít very helpful so Iíd appreciate it if anyone else has had this situation before could confirm or correct me.
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by unethical
    Post details containing with whom you booked etc. Otherwise we would be guessing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,754Posts Today

6,760Users online

Martin's Twitter