Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 4:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 4:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 474
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 26th Jul 19, 9:04 PM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I'm doing well on my blanket order, I've added another 2 balls to it over the past 3 days. It's kept my mind off the awful heat. I'm almost 50% through and should have it to her by end of aigust, well ahead of the October estimate I gave her.

I've got some headbands I'd like to try next, and am debating treating myself to a pattern, if I can't figure out how to do the stitch myself ,LOL

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 26th Jul 19, 9:28 PM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I have discovered that the balaclava I'm knitting for myself has gone wrong when I started turning. I know I should have the same number of stitches each end once I've done an even row, and I've got three more at one end than the other. Not sure how many rows will need undoing but a bit peeved, and it is too hot to think about it.

also made no progress with sewing up the mohair cardigan. Just too sticky.

But ... I went out for the day with a friend, for her birthday, and she suggested a wool shop I have not been to before! We started with a lovely lunch at a place neither of us had been to, but it was right by where we'd parked. Then rolled down the hill a few yards to the shop.

And I found the PERFECT buttons for the cardigan! I've been looking for ages, I've knitted some but don't much like them, and the trouble was I knew what I wanted - a round button in the main colour, with a shank so you wouldn't see the stitches. But the main colour is slightly variegated, and I just couldn't find anything I liked enough to pay over £1 per button (I need 10!)

These are the perfect colour red, and they have a little swirl in them, a bit white and a bit purple so they look fab on the purple ribbing. And they were only 25p each, and as there were only 11 left I got them all for £2.50! I did say I'd have bought 12 if they'd had them, always worth having a spare IMO.

But I was also led astray and bought some Stylecraft DK, 75% acrylic, 25% cotton, multicoloured in Just My Colours. £2 for 100g, and they had 8 balls, so I have bought them all, and a pattern for a cardigan which is long in the body and has pockets, and a V neck. I know I could have looked online or asked my sisters, but I just thought 'no, I know I like this, I'm just going to get it.'

But I'm going to sort out the cardigan and the balaclava first. Honest.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 28th Jul 19, 7:20 AM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Sounds like a wonderful day was had Sue!

Today is colour change day on my blanket which always pleases my spirit.

I also have another 3 project ideas to sketch up in my book, to add to the ever growing list LOL

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 29th Jul 19, 12:42 AM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Sounds like a wonderful day was had Sue!
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    It was a really super day, and I will definitely go back to that shop next time I need buttons: they seemed to be much less scary prices than any I'd found elsewhere.

Tonight I have taken the balaclava back as far as I intend to go. Tomorrow I'll start knitting it again ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 29th Jul 19, 11:54 AM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    It was a really super day, and I will definitely go back to that shop next time I need buttons: they seemed to be much less scary prices than any I'd found elsewhere.

Tonight I have taken the balaclava back as far as I intend to go. Tomorrow I'll start knitting it again ...
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Sue, I've been meaning to ask... Why are you knitting a balaclava?

- Pip

(I have visions of a squad of stealthy, balaclava wearing MSE-Ninjas, confronting shoppers and demanding to know "Is it in Budget?", "Did you save up for it?", "Do you really need it?" and slapping away hands reaching for credit-cards....)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 30th Jul 19, 9:48 PM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Sue, I've been meaning to ask... Why are you knitting a balaclava?

- Pip

(I have visions of a squad of stealthy, balaclava wearing MSE-Ninjas, confronting shoppers and demanding to know "Is it in Budget?", "Did you save up for it?", "Do you really need it?" and slapping away hands reaching for credit-cards....)
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Not just ANY balaclava, it's a pink balaclava ...

I knitted one in grey cotton and wore it a few times when Nordic walking: there's an icy wind where we usually set out from and I don't like cold ears. People laughed at it, but less at the end of the walk when my ears were still toasty warm and theirs weren't.

Anyway, I thought I'd run out of the grey cotton and ended up buying a ball of this lovely pink stuff, a cotton and tencel mix, to finish it with. So I thought I'd do another balaclava, in my favourite colour. And as I did then find a small ball of the grey cotton, I can always finish it in grey if the pink runs out ...
    Still knitting!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 31st Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Awaiting delivery of one ball of wool (yes one!) to be able to continue the blanket.
    So I opted for a one day project to keep me occupied, 200g of a Hatfield super chunky and I have a lovely variegated cowl scarf for Autumn which blends nicely with a beige\oatmeal duffle coat I have. The yarn is blue,sea greens, light green, pale pink pink and oatmeal. Happy with how it turned out, especially as I was attempting a new stitch pattern . Some mistakes made but that's life.

I may now give my fingers a break from looming LOL

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Aug 19, 12:14 AM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Tonight was signature update day because - drumroll, fanfare - I HAVE FINISHED THE MOHAIR CARDIGAN!

And so glad I bought the extra button because I fudged the neckband / front bands and realised I'd better put an extra buttonhole in the neckband, even though I will NEVER do it up!

anyway, I'm left with a question over the new cardigan pattern: in the 'general instructions you probably don't need to read' it says something like "after casting off you'll be left with one stitch on the right hand needle which is not included in the following instructions" and I have absolutely no idea what that means ... thoughts?
    Still knitting!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 24th Aug 19, 7:40 AM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Tonight was signature update day because - drumroll, fanfare - I HAVE FINISHED THE MOHAIR CARDIGAN!

And so glad I bought the extra button because I fudged the neckband / front bands and realised I'd better put an extra buttonhole in the neckband, even though I will NEVER do it up!
    Congratulations. You must be pleased.

Photo please!

anyway, I'm left with a question over the new cardigan pattern: in the 'general instructions you probably don't need to read' it says something like "after casting off you'll be left with one stitch on the right hand needle which is not included in the following instructions" and I have absolutely no idea what that means ... thoughts?
    What do the instructions say further on? You really need to read the whole pattern because that stitch will be relevant but, possibly, only to the making up instructions. For now, I’d put the stitch onto a safety-pin/clip-style stitch marker and leave it.

Incidentally, what is the pattern? (Name, designer, link to it on Ravelry.). Have you read other people’s project notes on Ravelry? You may find them enlightening.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 28th Aug 19, 10:10 PM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Congratulations. You must be pleased.

Photo please!
    Well, I am pleased, but as you'll see from other posts I don't really 'do' photos. Plus it's clear from the photo DH took that amazing as the finished cardigan is, it does nothing for my figure. Think Michelin man in red mohair with purple trim ...

What do the instructions say further on? You really need to read the whole pattern because that stitch will be relevant but, possibly, only to the making up instructions. For now, I’d put the stitch onto a safety-pin/clip-style stitch marker and leave it.
    I've read the whole pattern, and at no point is this final lonely stitch referred to again.

Incidentally, what is the pattern? (Name, designer, link to it on Ravelry.)
    I bought the pattern at the same time as the wool. I thought "I can see that this pattern is the right style, goes up to larger sizes, and takes less wool than I'm buying. I can either buy it now or go home and spend the next three weeks looking for something similar on Ravelry." No brainer ...

The pattern is downstairs and the computer is up but the two may come together soon ...

Have you read other people’s project notes on Ravelry? You may find them enlightening.
    Please don't encourage me. MSE takes enough of my time.
    Still knitting!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 29th Aug 19, 12:23 AM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    The pattern is downstairs and the computer is up but the two may come together soon ...
    Stylecraft 9549 - but the wool is variegated so I won't be doing contrast stripes.
    Still knitting!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 29th Aug 19, 3:11 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 9,638 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Stylecraft 9549 - but the wool is variegated so I won't be doing contrast stripes.
    Hmmm.... That pattern isn't listed in the Ravelry directory. It must be fairly new.

Since you've found it on Stylecraft's website, have you tried contacting them through the website? It's worth a try.

- Pip

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 11th Sep 19, 9:56 PM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 19,435 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I have finished and wrapped the blanket.
    It's ending up double bed size and friend\customer very happy.

Smaller projects on the list now. Including baskets and hats.

How is everyone else's projects going?

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Sep 19, 5:40 PM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Well, I've made a promising start on the back of the new cardigan, but I've come away without a second ball of wool so I'll grind to a halt before long!

Fortunately I brought the pink balaclava but that's nearly finished.

So I may have to find the wool shop I spotted last time we were here ...

I may need to knit some crutch sleeves - has anyone ever done that? To make elbow crutches more comfortable.
    Still knitting!
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 16th Sep 19, 7:00 PM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 10,056 Thanks
    Seakay
    I've never seen knitted crutch sleeves - only come across them in padded fleece etc - so I'll be very interested to hear how you get on
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Sep 19, 8:13 PM
    • 40,030 Posts
    • 37,372 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Well, my thinking atm is that I don't know what will be needed, but if it's crutches, then having a pair of lower-arm warmers in a lovely soft cotton and a favourite colour might cheer someone up, no?

I'm in Amsterdam this week, and found the wool shop in the Albert Cuypstraat Market (I knew it was there from a previous visit) and found a cotton / acrilyc mix in the right colour, plus various ribbons in the 'oddments' box. The person I'm knitting for is in the ICU atm, and apparently someone had plaited her hair and tied it with a lovely blue bow. Now, I'm sure there's no budget for ribbons in the ICU, so I thought I'd take them a few when I manage to visit, to say thank you for caring.
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

893Posts Today

6,312Users online

Martin's Twitter