Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misshjt88
    • By misshjt88 22nd Aug 19, 7:58 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    misshjt88
    Why do I have no credit history?
    • 22nd Aug 19, 7:58 AM
    Why do I have no credit history? 22nd Aug 19 at 7:58 AM
    Hi, I am new here and am looking for some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to apply for a 0% interest credit card. I looked into the Barclays one giving 27 months interest free credit. Using the MSE eligability calculator it says I've got a 10%-60% chance of getting it - which is quite a big variable.
    It made me think to check my credit score - but using the tool on the MSE website it says I don't have enough credit history. However I have been doing all the things on the 'how to build your credit score' page for years! I pay a phone bill, have a credit card which I pay off every month, am on the electorial role ect.
    I have moved address many times over the past 10 years and have had a year out of the country (returning last August). Would this be the issue? I feel like I have a lot of credit history and should definitely have a credit score.
    Any help working this out would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 22nd Aug 19, 8:22 AM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 9,350 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:22 AM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:22 AM
    have you checked on all 3 CRAs to make sure that at least some of that activity is showing?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 22nd Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    Don't put "score" and "history" in the same boat.

The history is what matters.
    The score does not.
    • misshjt88
    • By misshjt88 22nd Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    misshjt88
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    Thank you both for your quick replies
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    I have not check any of the three yet, but this will be my next step. I am just a little unsure which addresses to use when I give my address history, as some bank accounts have always been registered at my parents address and then some things I have registered at addressess where I have actually lived. Will this have an affect?

And OK @Gary Dexter - Noted : )

Thank you
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 22nd Aug 19, 9:43 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:43 AM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:43 AM
    All your accounts should be registered to the address you actually reside at, along with your Electoral Roll information.
    Regardless of how many time a year you move.
    • headoffinance
    • By headoffinance 22nd Aug 19, 11:36 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    headoffinance
    • 22nd Aug 19, 11:36 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 11:36 PM
    Hello misshjt88,

Don’t worry about having accounts at different addresses as that don’t really matter at all a lot of my family do this! There is no law telling you that you need to have all accounts at one address.

In regards to the credit report use the address that has your main accounts registered there and the longest opened as they will be able to find you easier!

Good luck,
    Hope you get all sorted,
    headoffinance
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 23rd Aug 19, 12:04 AM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:04 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:04 AM
    The above is probably spam.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 23rd Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    Hello misshjt88,

Donít worry about having accounts at different addresses as that donít really matter at all a lot of my family do this! There is no law telling you that you need to have all accounts at one address.

In regards to the credit report use the address that has your main accounts registered there and the longest opened as they will be able to find you easier!

Good luck,
    Hope you get all sorted,
    headoffinance
    Originally posted by headoffinance
    Ignore this ^^

You accounts should be registered to the address you ACTUALLY reside at, which should also be the address you're registered with the Electoral Roll at.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 23rd Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    Ignore this ^^

You accounts should be registered to the address you ACTUALLY reside at, which should also be the address you're registered with the Electoral Roll at.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I also recommend this - having multiple applications submitted with multiple addresses can be seen by lenders as suspicious. At best it could lead to an application being denied, at worst it could lead to a fraud marker being left on your credit files which will significantly hamper your ability to get credit.

As per your original post however, you need to check your files from all 3 CRAs. Ignore any reference to your "score" or "rating" and instead focus on your credit history. Even with good history, you won't always get access to the best deals since many lenders are aiming for a particular type of customer and take more than your credit history into account. If you continue to get low chance acceptance, i'd shop around and see what other lenders offer similar products to what you are looking for.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 23rd Aug 19, 11:38 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 4,121 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I also recommend this - having multiple applications submitted with multiple addresses can be seen by lenders as suspicious. At best it could lead to an application being denied, at worst it could lead to a fraud marker being left on your credit files which will significantly hamper your ability to get credit.
    Originally posted by PRAISETHESUN
    Correct - National Hunter may pick up on this so a SAR request to them might also be in order
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

493Posts Today

6,436Users online

Martin's Twitter