Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buel10
    • By buel10 22nd Aug 19, 6:08 PM
    • 302Posts
    • 43Thanks
    buel10
    Can you use soil under lawn to grow?
    • 22nd Aug 19, 6:08 PM
    Can you use soil under lawn to grow? 22nd Aug 19 at 6:08 PM
    Hi all.
    Briefly, I want to use part of my lawn to grow something for my 2 year old daughter to learn to water and care for. Is it as simple as cutting some lawn up to expose the soil?

Also, what would you recommend as a nice easy starter to get a toddler interested?
Page 1
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 22nd Aug 19, 6:13 PM
    • 10,878 Posts
    • 130,123 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 22nd Aug 19, 6:13 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 6:13 PM
    Rather than digging up the lawn, why not consider two or three large pots, top soil from a garden centre or similar.

Cress on kitchen roll, fast growing
    For the pots, lettuce, radish, sunflowers, carrots, spuds.
    Get your child a small watering can (about 1.50 from poundland and similar)
    Sun, Sea

• unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 22nd Aug 19, 7:28 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 22nd Aug 19, 7:28 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 7:28 PM
    +1 for pots
    maybe start with a couple of those supermarket ready to go/kitchen windowsill herb pots and progress from there (cress on kitchen roll also being a superb suggestion - I remember that at school from 45 odd years ago)
    Last edited by unrecordings; 22-08-2019 at 7:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 22nd Aug 19, 8:35 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 3,890 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:35 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:35 PM
    Yes, Ive taken loads of strips of lawn up and planted straight into the exposed soil. Using pots is a good idea though. A seed sprouting in a pot might be more impressive than the same seed in a bed.

Perhaps do a mix of things. Stuff that grows very quickly like cress is great for kids. Something that you can watch grow for years is nice to mark time. I planted a lemon pip when I was little and it was six foot tall by the time I started secondary school. That was in a container and had to be brought in for the the winter. Were also getting to the time of year when you can plant bulbs for next spring.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 22nd Aug 19, 9:37 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:37 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:37 PM
    Bulbs/roots/tubers are good - even cynical old me gets a kick when I first notice the signs of my tumeric & lemon grass re-emerging from their slumber.
    Just make sure not to confuse edible with in-edible during the early stages.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 22nd Aug 19, 9:58 PM
    • 8,970 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:58 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:58 PM
    I know nothing about this! But I cut a square out of our lawn to use to grow potatoes. It was quite compressed, so I dug it over with a fork.

I just shoved in a few surplus shop-bought potatoes that had gone soft, and I've got loads of thriving potato plants! :-)
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 22nd Aug 19, 10:35 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:35 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:35 PM
    I know nothing about this! But I cut a square out of our lawn to use to grow potatoes. It was quite compressed, so I dug it over with a fork.

I just shoved in a few surplus shop-bought potatoes that had gone soft, and I've got loads of thriving potato plants! :-)
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Now that is the essence of this thread - good luck with the experiment
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 23rd Aug 19, 6:49 PM
    • 7,025 Posts
    • 5,278 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 23rd Aug 19, 6:49 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 6:49 PM
    Kids love sunflowers as they grow soo big and they can gather the seeds for the birds to eat in winter.

You can buy packets of seeds with 'children's mix' in them.

Some strawberries in a pot or a hanging basket and she gets strawberries to eat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

432Posts Today

6,263Users online

Martin's Twitter