Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,319Posts
    • 13,926Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Its hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - 520 SPC 11 - 975 SPC 12 - 705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 23
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 20th Aug 19, 3:24 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    Linz, I'm going to get Christmas bedding this year too. My OH will also kill me but meh lol
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 20th Aug 19, 3:30 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    LMG1305
    haven't been on in forever Can't believe how quickly this year has gone seems to have flown by and I haven't even started my xmas prep yet
    Hope everyone is doing ok

Dgd has her 1st xmas & 1st birthday within a week of each other so not sure whether to get her a bigger joint gift and then some smaller bits for each or to just buy for each one separately?
    Originally posted by mandco
    Same as me, I keep popping on, saying hi then disappearing again. Although technically I don't disappear, I still try to read the thread when I can but been so busy lately!

I saw your question about your dgd birthday & xmas. My nephew's birthday is a few days after Christmas and my sister has always asked us to keep things separate while he's young, so he gets 'his day' the same as everyone else who has a birthday earlier in the year. I get where she's coming from. Christmas is such a massive celebration, especially in our family, so his birthday probably wouldn't feel very special if we combined the both. I guess if there is something big that she wants/needs a combined present would make more sense if it's going to blow the budget. I'd discuss it with her mum & dad to see what they would prefer.

I don't think I've been much help there have I What I was trying to say was, have your dgd's parents said what they would prefer or are they quite laid back about it?
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 20th Aug 19, 3:37 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    LMG1305

Aslo excited to see the new Emilia Clarke film that will be out for Christmas - LAST CHRISTMAS - think it is released on the 19th so it should be good to take the kids to see for christmas!

Have also decided to start penpalling too so am trying to find some nice Christmas cards ready to send to them - welsh Christmas cards seem to be dying out here in South Wales which is so sad to see as I love sending them[/COLOR]
    Originally posted by sammy_kaye18
    Ooh I like the sound of a new Christmas film, I'm going to look for the trailer now!

There's some cute Welsh Christmas cards on Etsy, although they would probably add up quickly if you have a lot to buy. Could you make some yourself? We made some Welsh cake recipe cards a few years ago when we went on a Disney cruise and took part in a gift exchange, it was so much fun to do and I love the idea that somewhere in a far off country somebody might be making welsh cakes
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 20th Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    • 4,083 Posts
    • 18,209 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I bought my first tin of sweets and it is a tin! 2kg of quality street for 11.60, got them in Costco, so happy bunny
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • doodygirl
    • By doodygirl 20th Aug 19, 8:07 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    doodygirl
    Hi fellow Christmas-aholics ��
    I thought I’d share this cute book advent calendar I’ve pre ordered for my kids. I’ve never seen them before and it works out less than a pound a book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-Storybook-Collection-Advent-Calendar/dp/183852634X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=XMYHGQGY2Y69&keywords=disney+adven t+calendar&qid=1566331621&s=gateway&sprefix=Disney +advent%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-2
    Wishing everyone the best of luck for 2019
    • Opee92
    • By Opee92 21st Aug 19, 5:07 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    Opee92
    Doodygirl Aldi sold these last year and DD and DS absolutely loved it! Its a really good size too!
    • Jewels1207
    • By Jewels1207 21st Aug 19, 10:20 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Jewels1207
    I sat last night and wrote lists for all the items for hampers I'll make for the couple's. I found a netmums thread which had pages of ideas and it had a link back here to MSE for even more ideas. Even tho I've not bought anything yet I feel super organised as I have a plan of what I need. I always say half the battle is knowing what to buy. Feel so Christmasy already even though I've not bought a stitch!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 22nd Aug 19, 4:16 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    mandco
    Sainsburys had 25% off some fortnite sets today so picked up a couple off Taz's list - Cheapest I've seen since I started looking
    they also had roblox sets on offer

Ds has mentioned a couple of ps4 games that are coming out so will keep an eye open for offers on those. Last few years I've managed to get at least one game they've asked for using the nectar double up but wondering if they are going to do it this year as they haven't really done any of the usual point promos.

Anyone ever ordered clothing from china? ds has mentioned an anime hoodie but all the sellers I can find seem to be from china.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • mandco
    • By mandco 22nd Aug 19, 4:19 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    mandco
    I bought my first tin of sweets and it is a tin! 2kg of quality street for 11.60, got them in Costco, so happy bunny
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    Thanks for the heads up
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 22nd Aug 19, 9:07 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 28,803 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Talking of Christmas sweets my dad rang me today to tell me Tesco have the tubs of Roses/Quality Street/Heroes/Celebrations in for 4

In other news had a BIG comp win! Waiting for further details but basically will be provided with a list of 100 options including days out, tech items and tickets for events and I get to choose options up to 2k! Totally blown away just hoping the options suit us or that can pick bits that can be used towards Christmas.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd Aug 19, 9:45 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 16,904 Thanks
    vulpix
    wow stokie,result,well done.

Mandco,my eldest daughter has bought clothes from China.She is a size 12 and a large skirt was more like an 8 or 6.If they have measurements rather that SML etc it would help you get the right size.
    Too much trouble to send stuff back.

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 23rd Aug 19, 9:14 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 17,681 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Congratulations STOKIE thats fabulous news

MANDCO my advice would be to make sure you Google the name of any company from China that youre looking at buying clothing from - there are some real horror stories out there. I nearly got caught out once but luckily I found the reviews and stayed away. Its the same with the ads on IG, the stuff looks great until you read the comments.

Cant believe were coming to the end of August already. Had a lovely few days with DGD (10), shes made a list of everyone shed like to give pressies to but is worried about how shell get the money to pay for them (sound familiar lol) so Im rewarding her with 25p for every chapter of her Harry Potter books that she completes (shes on book four and has book five ready). Id end up paying for the pressies anyway but this way shes earned the money herself. Mummy wont pay her for doing chores so this seemed a good option. When she comes to stay at October half term well be doing Christmas crafting.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 24th Aug 19, 1:45 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    mandco
    Wow that's a great win Storkie

Not sure if its store specific but in tesco today they had loads of reduced alcohol. Got some whisky, gin & vodka gifts sets for 5/6 each and a lovely bottle of wine & glasses set again 6 so that is a few xmas pressies ticked off
    They also had bottles of sours for 5.50
    lots of different echo falls wines for around 2 a bottle and various other wines reduced too so might be worth a look in your local if your going anyway
    • Joyfullyfestive
    • By Joyfullyfestive 26th Aug 19, 2:05 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Joyfullyfestive
    Hi all,

Just popping in to see if everyone knew about Tesco having 4 chocolate tubs out and of course you do 😉

LMG1305 thanks so much for your kind words, I work really hard on my Instagram so glad you like it.

If any of you are following me on Instagram please DM me in Instagram to say hello

So excited for Christmas stuff appearing in shops, really feels like we are on our way now

Joyfully Festive
    Joyfullyfestive all year round. Instagram: @joyfullyfestive
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 29th Aug 19, 7:28 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Hello all

Been AWOL for a few weeks but I am still here and the realisation that we have September around the corner is starting to hit home now!
    Ben had some of his mock GCSE results (science and welsh) and so far has 3Cs in the sciences and D in Welsh / Welsh baccalaureate. So hes happy but wants to try that bit harder as he'd like to go to College next year to study Civil Engineering.

Congrats Stokie - great win! Im hoping to get back into competitions once the kids are back in school and I can get back into my routine again!

Well I am busy working on what I can put in the Xmas snowmen.

My son Ben gave me a list of things he would like the other day so that has given me some help at least although its mainly clothes so I think his giftcard is going to be for clothes shopping.
    His grandma is after ideas so I have told her to get him a few POP! figures to add to his collection so it will save her some money and he will be happy with them too.

Holly so far is not telling me anything and neither is her father!
    and my sister has been inundated with giant spiders the last few days so she wants a spider catcher for christmas!
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - 2022.18 owed. 8 lenders.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 29th Aug 19, 1:09 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 9,707 Thanks
    mandco
    This summer has gone far too quickly though at least we've had some great weather to finish it off with.

Popped into a card shop that is closing down soon and they had a small selection of xmas stock out so picked up a few bits as at reduced to clear and 1/2 price again it would be rude not too
    got our pup elf & santa costumes for 49p each
    giant santa sacks 2 pk for 19p
    xmas activity books 37p
    couple of rolls of wrap, gift bag sets and ribbons/bows sets 25p each

tesco had 1 litre bottles of jagermeister reduce to clear @ 13 so that's one thing off my list for ds sorted

Picked up an electric heater in argos so I have a spare one just in case I need it (my current on is pretty old) they have various ones reduced to clear- got some funny looks as its so lovely out but it won't be long till the weather changes and better to buy now than pay full price later.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 30th Aug 19, 9:30 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 16,904 Thanks
    vulpix
    Thanks for reminding me of Argos Mandco.I never think of looking there for things.

Went to daughters yesterday for more pebbles for my garden and she has only cut half her hedge as her extension lead is not long enough.So that is an idea for a gift for her,an extension lead.Not exciting I know but I have no clue for them these days now they are all grown ups and work so just buy what they want when they need it.

Only 5 more people to think of ideas for! DH,MUM,DD2,DD1's BF.All adults and need nothing!BF's birthday Saturday too.??????????? DD2 18 next month,she wants money towards a new phone.I have however got her a few bits in the sales to open on the day.New Zumba gear etc. And worst of all Mr V's birthday the week before Christmas.So selfish!

We did a car boot sale last week and sold some stuff on FB.We are starting to sell n save again.

Only a month now till we find out about our buisness venture in Lincolnshire.If it happens it will be all systems go for selling the house! Still needs decorating so I am just about to go and pant some bulbs and winter flowering pansies in the garden.!!!!!!! Then make jam with plums from DD1's tree and any other amount of distraction techniques.

Am thinking of doing a craft fair again next month with all mine and my Mum's makes. Mostly knitting and cushions this year.

Garden calling. Laters Vx
    Last edited by vulpix; 30-08-2019 at 9:32 AM.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 1st Sep 19, 9:56 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 4,735 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Great win Stokie!

Christmas front: I had a word with my cousins and we have agreed not to send each other cards from now on as we never see each other. So I can save a bit of money there, also not going to be buying for my aunt and uncle from next year gift wise. Managed to sort their gift this year, on etsy this lady makes these ceramic bird feeders in the shape of owls and mushrooms so have bought one for them as they love feeding the birds. The lady gave me an online discount code so got one for just under 11.00 with delivery.

Went into Tesco this week and some products have got middle of 2020 dates so I bought: crackers, shortbread, nice jams. Christmas food cupboard has started filling up nicely.

How is everyone doing x
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    2 saver club #21 40.00/250
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 1st Sep 19, 9:58 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 4,735 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Also in marks and sparks they do a non-alcoholic rose wine and its lovely tastes like wine but doesn't have the alcohol content in it. mini bottle is 1.50 and they do a larger bottle for 5.50/6.00. they do it in a red wine and a white wine.
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    2 saver club #21 40.00/250
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 1st Sep 19, 4:09 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 28,803 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    I have bought plenty of bits for Christmas now. Mostly for other halfs side so still have some of my side to do but will get there. I want to start wrapping

Also sent my prize choices to the company organising it - couple of bits will be used for gifts, most of it is for us though as nice to have a treat or two. They sent me a list and each item had a points value so had 2000 points to play with (1 per point) - still doesn't really feel real yet until it all arrives.

I have got Groupon codes for the photo calendars I do every year but at the moment they aren't working. Think I had same problem last year so will leave it a few more days to see if they activate (think it took about a week last year even though they say three working days maximum)

Can't believe we are in September! Going too fast
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

698Posts Today

6,211Users online

Martin's Twitter