Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gezkc
    • By gezkc 3rd Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    gezkc
    HomeProtect home insurance - DO NOT USE!!
    • 3rd Apr 18, 3:01 PM
    HomeProtect home insurance - DO NOT USE!! 3rd Apr 18 at 3:01 PM
    Hi all,

I just wanted to warn people about HomeProtect home insurance (underwritten by AXA). We've had our home insured for building and contents insurance with them for the past year and have just received our renewal notification (like many companies, they will automatically renew unless you ask them not to).

Last year our annual premium was 246. We've had no claims and nothing had changed in our circumstances since last year. HomeProtect's renewal premium for this year was... 707!!

I phoned them to check if this was a mistake or some sort of April Fool's joke, but no, it's apparently correct. When I asked them why it had gone up by almost 500, I was told that insurance premium tax had gone up by 12% and inflation meant that individual claims were costing more! I pointed out the fact that this still doesn't explain why the premium had gone up by almost 200%, but of course they had no answer to that.

So, if you're thinking of using HomeProtect for your home insurance, please don't! They may offer you a competitive quote for your first year, but they'll then try to {Edited by Forum Team} in the second year, hoping that you'll automatically renew at a ridiculously inflated price.

Please be warned - they are {Edited by Forum Team}.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 12-06-2019 at 8:24 AM. Reason: {Edited by Forum Team}
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    Is the the first home you've ever insured? Because like motor insurance this is pretty much standard practice, buy and ditch after the first year is the usual advice. I have no knowledge of HomeProtect, and the increase seems very steep, but it's what nearly all other insurers will do.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 3rd Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 36,625 Posts
    • 47,250 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 3rd Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 3:29 PM
    What you describe is normal. Not a rip off. You just have to be vigilant with your own hard earned money.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 3rd Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,725 Posts
    • 2,376 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    What you describe is normal.
    It might be normal for it to increase after a year as new customer discounts are removed but I don't think 200 to 700 fits the description of normal.
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 5th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    Yeah this is normal, increase of 100%+ is typical from year 1-2. They hope people wont change.

My most recent experience was my car insurance this year (hastings) went from 350 to 1200! (no claims, no changes 1 year older and wiser). Rang them up they said "market forces blah blah". Did a new quote online... 400! Needless to say I went elsewhere anyway.

Loads of threads in motoring about this sort of stuff. Sad to say but nowadays loyalty means f all, you have to change every year.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 6th Apr 18, 6:43 AM
    • 27,248 Posts
    • 37,910 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 6th Apr 18, 6:43 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 6:43 AM
    I must be unusual as I've never had the level of increase as above. Last years car insurance went down by a few quid (250 4 named drivers and a non fault non claim) and home/contents only went up by a few. My suggestion is to get an anonymous quote from the previous insurer, then either use that a a hammer or cancel the old one and take up the new.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 6th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 6th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    When my home insurance rose by some 50 this year I rang and negotiated the same premium as last year.

The warning should be "don't automatically renew with ANY insurance company for anything".
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 9th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    I must be unusual as I've never had the level of increase as above. Last years car insurance went down by a few quid (250 4 named drivers and a non fault non claim) and home/contents only went up by a few. My suggestion is to get an anonymous quote from the previous insurer, then either use that a a hammer or cancel the old one and take up the new.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    I think it normally happens when they change underwriter, so from he outside it appears like you re with same company but behind the scenes things can dramatically change.

To be fair I've had it happen the other way, I rang up with an online quote for 500 and on phone they were surprised they could quote me for 330, so that was nice.
    • gezkc
    • By gezkc 15th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gezkc
    • 15th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:04 PM
    I've owned a home for years, and had cars insured for even longer and have never had an increase like this before. I never automatically renew, but thought I should highlight it, as I know some people do (though probably not Moneysavingexpert forum members!)

The thing that really struck me about this particular increase was that there was no change in underwriters - Homeprotect were using AXA to insure me both years, and yet they decided to up the price from 200 to 700 for absolutely no reason. Even when I queried it, they would only reduce it to 650. Needless to say, I declined their kind offer.

It's criminal that they're allowed to do this - the elderly and other vunerable people who are the least likely to be able to query these types of increases are the ones most likely to fall victim to it.
    • pj_sipsip
    • By pj_sipsip 21st Aug 19, 4:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pj_sipsip
    DO NOT USE If You have subsidence!
    I signed up with these after finding they were the cheapest with subsidence. Their online quote and webform ask if you've had subsidence in the last 10 years (ours was older so I say no). I purchase the insurance and the documents says that I have said I haven't had subsidence in the last 25 years!!!! I felt very tricked. This could nullify any claim and leave us homeless. When I rang she said they hadn't updated their policy documents but could send me an email to say it should be 10 years. No thanks! I think the official documentation would hold more weight in court than a telesales operator. What a con! How difficult is it to update some documents. This was the latest in a long line of shifty wording that they would clarify "in email". Stay away!
    • DavidFx
    • By DavidFx 22nd Aug 19, 4:34 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    DavidFx
    Last year our annual premium was 246. We've had no claims and nothing had changed in our circumstances since last year. HomeProtect's renewal premium for this year was... 707!!
    Originally posted by gezkc
    Maybe there was a large increase in claims for your post code last year. Although your circumstances haven't changed, your house could now be in a higher risk area.
    It could then be that the underwriters are not happy with the higher risk profile and would prefer you to insure elsewhere.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Aug 19, 7:51 PM
    • 34,930 Posts
    • 22,105 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Maybe there was a large increase in claims for your post code last year. Although your circumstances haven't changed, your house could now be in a higher risk area.
    It could then be that the underwriters are not happy with the higher risk profile and would prefer you to insure elsewhere.
    Originally posted by DavidFx

You know you have replied to a poster who posted back in may and not been back since.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 22nd Aug 19, 8:50 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,880 Thanks
    flashg67
    You know you have replied to a poster who posted back in may and not been back since.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

May 18 at that!
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 3rd Sep 19, 10:22 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    MSE Molly
    Hi, the company has asked for a right of reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

Hi all,

I just wanted to warn people about HomeProtect home insurance (underwritten by AXA). We've had our home insured for building and contents insurance with them for the past year and have just received our renewal notification (like many companies, they will automatically renew unless you ask them not to).

I phoned them to check if this was a mistake or some sort of April Fool's joke, but no, it's apparently correct. When I asked them why it had gone up by almost 500, I was told that insurance premium tax had gone up by 12% and inflation meant that individual claims were costing more! I pointed out the fact that this still doesn't explain why the premium had gone up by almost 200%, but of course they had no answer to that.

So, if you're thinking of using HomeProtect for your home insurance, please don't! They may offer you a competitive quote for your first year, but they'll then try to {Edited by Forum Team} in the second year, hoping that you'll automatically renew at a ridiculously inflated price.

Please be warned - they are {Edited by Forum Team}.
    Originally posted by gezkc

Hi there,

We checked our records and were unable to find policies with the price increases you mentioned in your post, and so I would be very grateful if you could email me (marketing@homeprotect.co.uk) your policy number and I will investigate further. The prices of policies can go up, down or indeed remain the same at renewal, however we do our best to avoid large price increases for our customers wherever possible, but occasionally we are forced to where the level of risk increases substantially. This could either be because of changes regarding the policyholder, the property, or the way we assess the level of risk involved.

I look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best for the future.

Best wishes,

David
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 03-09-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 3rd Sep 19, 10:24 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    MSE Molly
    Hi, the company has asked for a right of reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

I signed up with these after finding they were the cheapest with subsidence. Their online quote and webform ask if you've had subsidence in the last 10 years (ours was older so I say no). I purchase the insurance and the documents says that I have said I haven't had subsidence in the last 25 years!!!! I felt very tricked. This could nullify any claim and leave us homeless. When I rang she said they hadn't updated their policy documents but could send me an email to say it should be 10 years. No thanks! I think the official documentation would hold more weight in court than a telesales operator. What a con! How difficult is it to update some documents. This was the latest in a long line of shifty wording that they would clarify "in email". Stay away!
    Originally posted by pj_sipsip

Hi there,

Im sorry you were let down by our documentation regarding the time limit for subsidence. The customer service representative you spoke to was correct, and we are in the process of changing our documents to reflect a 10 year limit as opposed to 25. Weve learnt from this and will ensure document and website updates happen simultaneously in the future to avoid confusion. Thank you very much for your helpful feedback.

Best wishes,

David

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,505Posts Today

5,652Users online

Martin's Twitter